Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"If the demand is so high that the waiting list position has value, we aren't doing it right."
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"If the demand is so high that the waiting list position has value, we aren't doing it right."

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited August 2012 in General

Yesterday I found an interesting documentary type look at one of the first major VPS companies, Slicehost.
I'd recommend watching it if you're at all interested in the VPS business, some people might learn something from it or enjoy it :)

Anyway, here's the link: https://www.37signals.com/founderstories/slicehost

Comments

• Very very awesome :)

• @liam said: cough buyvm cough

Are you not drinking the koolaid?

• Interesting that one of the founders went on to create this http://devstructure.com/blueprint/ looks interesting.....

• @Zen said: Slicehost monetized it..

I thought Slicehost used a very novel approach, not charging the client any more for the hosting, but letting the client prepay for longer periods of time for better positioning on the wait list, giving Slicehost the needed cashflow to expand and never need to fall behind on stock again.

• flyfly Member
    edited August 2012

interviewer is fucking awful. why the fuck are they talking over each other

i wanted to watch the interview, but it was just three self-important circlejerkers talking over each other. nty

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I really enjoyed it and it's inspired me a lot. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2012

This reminds me of communist times here.
    Ppl were buying positions in waiting lists for cars, apartments, even for milk and were professional "queuers" making lists for butter, eggs, flour, usually retired ppl that had time to stay out all day in the hope there will be something in the shops that day, buying for neighbours for an 100% fee...

At the end of the Soviet Union there was a joke:

A press conference about the latest 5 year plan that was unveiled. One foreign journalist was puzzled:
    -I read there that in the next 5 years you plan to sell to the public 100000 helicopters... This is very weird, why would people need helicopters when basic food is so hard to find ?
    -That is because you dont read it in the context... Imagine that you find out from your circle of friends that there is some meat in an Astrahan butchery and you live in Kazan, if you have a helicopter, you can jump in it and be one of the ppl in line that can still get a piece if you hurry enough !
    M

Thanked by 2Liam maxexcloo
  • @liam said: cough buyvm cough

I think BuyVM is just trying to get free advertising by not having stock. It's talked about in most threads because of this. Pretty smart actually.

• flyfly Member

@concerto49 said: I think BuyVM is just trying to get free advertising by not having stock. It's talked about in most threads because of this. Pretty smart actually.

no, of course they're not manipulating stock.

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • I sent them a presales question about their NY stock and was able to go ahead and get a 1024 in Cali. I think they're just freezing sales at the moment to concentrate all their energy on getting New York up and running. If you're an existing non-problem customer, you might be able to get somewhere by asking. I know, I'm full of radical notions.

• Thanks for that video about slicehost it was very valuable information.