Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoodHosting problem? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoodHosting problem?

2»

Comments

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

On the subject of notifications about (planned or not) outages: some providers KISS and simply push out an email to all accounts likely to be impacted by an outage. Assuming this is not a daily occurence, it inspires confidence and trust in the provider. Finding out from a thread on LET or elsewhere, as is more often than not the case with LEB providers - not so much! Then come attempts at damage control here, which is, again, not the forte of most LEB providers. Not to mention, a big waste of time all around that could have been easily avoided. Just my 3 cents ;)

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited January 2015

@aglodek said:

Unfortunately, WHMCS has some serious issues (and incredible resource hog) during three primary operations required for it to function: cron, provision and mass mail. The reason for each failing at doing its one job is simple:

cron.

Cron is required to loop through every service, every account, every invoice,, etc.. It is simply a lot of data; for this reason this task simply could not be made any smaller. However; this work could be split up into smaller tasks that did not go through the entire data-set, but instead did portions at a time; this would prevent this issue entirely.

provision.

Provision is only an issue when someone purchases many products in the same cart, as the same script run attempts to provision every item in the order at the same time. (This is often an issue with carts containing 25+ items.)

mass mail

It's just a terrible feature; we've had to export e-Mails and process them manually to send out notifications. Unfortunately (see provision issue, and the WHMCS database being a terrible cross-reference nightmare.) We cannot just "SELECT * FROM clients WHERE location = CHI-1"; there's simply no magic like that.

We choose not to mail "everyone", so that the people in other locations are not spammed.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@GoodHosting said: We choose not to mail "everyone", so that the people in other locations are not spammed.

Interesting. Thanks for enlightning me to the realities of using the "industry standard" (sic!) WHMCS. To date, I rather suspected this was due to "what they don't know, can't hurt them" approach, keeping in mind all those customers (me included), who don't monitor their VM's as closely as they should ;)

• @aglodek said:

Since the CHI-1 location is less than 15% of our customer base, we decided against sending out a mass email.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@GoodHosting said: Since the CHI-1 location is less than 15% of our customer base, we decided against sending out a mass email.

This explains why most of such emails that I have received, on occasion, from providers, mentioned an issue with a different node/location from the one I'm hosted on. They had no option but to broadcast to all their clients or not at all.

• How do I know if I am on CHI-1?

• @dragonhawk said: How do I know if I am on CHI-1?

Login in to SolusVM, click to manage the VM in question and check the node/location displayed there.

• @dragonhawk said:
    How do I know if I am on CHI-1?

I have PMed you instructions on how you could find out.

@aglodek said:
    Login in to SolusVM, click to manage the VM in question and check the node/location displayed there.

We don't use SolusVM, we use OpenNebula :).

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @GoodHosting said: We don't use SolusVM, we use OpenNebula :)

Heh, sorry, of course you do! This is what inevitably happens when you have VM's with 10+ providers :(

• I had some I/O issues a while back for around 3 weeks.

• Just wanted to say thanks to @GoodHosting for moving me to CHI-2 just to get me up and running sooner. I've just finished setting up the VMs and traffic is slowly starting to flow again.

Thanked by 2diszk GoodHosting