Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: Everything for a low end price
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft: Everything for a low end price

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
edited January 2015 in General

Microsoft plans to give access to everything (from 365 to your own license for enterprise windows on usb) for the monthly price of 7 $ per user.
It may not be free, but it is starting to look very acceptable. I wonder if they did not strike a deal with NSA for an offsite backup program, this move is a bit unexpected if the price will really be that low.
"Users not already under an Enterprise Agreement can just buy the cloud features directly for a comparable price."

Source: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2867542/microsoft-touts-7-per-user-monthly-pricing-for-windows-subscriptions.html

Comments

• At least they are sticking to the LET pricing rules!

• Sounds great, but don't know if the EU anti-monopoly regulators will like it, might try to force them to debundle it. Remember the browser choice on Windows thing?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited January 2015

Do they still sell Microsoft office for home use without subscriptions? The last MO I bought was 2007. Do they push it to subscriptions base for home users, too?

• This seems like a modern spin on the have office for £9 whilst a student.

• @Maounique - ebay has loads of 1 year office 365 subscriptions @ 20-25 USD.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

I know but this is not only office 365. It includes windows on the go, sort of, you can load it on USB and use on any computer, as well as other goodies.

Chuck said: Do they still sell Microsoft office for home use without subscriptions? The last MO I bought was 2007. Do they push it to subscriptions base for home users, too?

As I understand it, yes. IMO, this move will make sense more for home users, they would undercut themselves for corporate ones.

• My two eurocents: M$ is slowly changing its product policy, from Windows being a product to YOU beign The Product, which resembles The Google Way of making business. Let the data mining begin!

• The question is, where can I sign up? :)

• Maounique said: It includes windows on the go, sort of, you can load it on USB and use on any computer, as well as other goodies.

you can do this on any windows 8 anyway (i do it with windows 8 pro)

edited January 2015

I am not sure it works yet, but might be something like this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/microsoft-intune/try.aspx

TarZZ92 said: you can do this on any windows 8 anyway (i do it with windows 8 pro)

The idea is not to offer a new product, it is only how licensing and integration will work.
    i mean, you can pay one fee for all the goodies, or something like that. No extra license, no separate payments and contracts. I doubt the licenses will be any easier to understand, but at least the payment will.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Great to hear that they're finally starting to think outside of their box. Plenty of companies can get away with high licensing costs, but Windows and Office have been slowly slipping from that pedestal for some time. Alternatives become more viable every day.

• i wonder what will happen to the prebuilt market

they are simply copying the way how games used to work, from one time purchase to monthly subscription. Bundle with many micro subscription.

belinik said: i wonder what will happen to the prebuilt market

People are no longer accepting to pay a serious premium for windows on laptops, from what i see here, prices are up some 20-30 eur for home versions compared to linux or no OS, this means a few months of that subscription and I bet the OEMs are paying less and less per unit to MS.
    The corporate market is already out of this scenario, so, it makes a lot more sense to stop imposing the windows tax on laptops and move to a different licensing model.