Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Cached (2 x 3TB + 1 x 240GB SSD) or Megaraid LSI + BBU (2 x 2TB)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD Cached (2 x 3TB + 1 x 240GB SSD) or Megaraid LSI + BBU (2 x 2TB)?

nggabernggaber Member
edited January 2015 in Help

Hello,

I saw this config with almost the same prices between two providers. For performance reason what will you choose? this is for personal OwnCloud installation.

Personally I like the SSD cached.

Thanks,

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

SSD Cached (2 x 3TB + 1 x 240GB) What controller?

• @pbgben said:
    SSD Cached (2 x 3TB + 1 x 240GB) What controller?

This one is Softraid, for SSD cached I will use Flashcache.

• I assume that the 240GB disk is the SSD and that 2x 3TB are the cached softRAIDed spindles? Btw. RAID what? 1 or 0?
    And the LSI controller has how much RAM?

And what's your use case - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say something about "more performant" without a clear scenario. Or is "OwnCloud" the scenario, meaning sth. like private remote storage/backup?

Assuming the latter and that both cases would be mirrored (RAID1) and that your "OwnCloud" is usually accessed from home or office, i.e. <= 1Gb/s, the 1st one seems good enough and you seem to like it anyway and it offers 50% more storage.

• nggabernggaber Member
    edited January 2015

@bsdguy yes the 240GB is the SSD, updating the title.

Both are raid 1 for data redundancy. The 2 x 3TB is 16GB RAM and the LSI is 32 GB RAM but less storage size. This gonna be storage/backup server and my personal CDN that run OwnCloud.

• RAM isn't the issue. Even 2GB would do (but a big cache is nice anyway).

So, unless you connect from multiple locations (at the same time) with Gb speeds, the 2x 3TB should do the trick well enough. If I had a concern then it would be OpenVZ (which, I guess they both are).

Thanked by 1nggaber
  • bsdguy said: If I had a concern then it would be OpenVZ

• may I know what possible concern you'd have?
    • while we are at it, could you please share the inherent issues that exist with OpenVZ, related to this or otherwise