Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup your own DNS and HAProxy based Netflix/Hulu Tunnel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup your own DNS and HAProxy based Netflix/Hulu Tunnel

Comments

• @joodle said:
    I have no idea.. I don't know much about Anycast

No worries, great tutorial and thanks for your help!

• Many thanks to @joodle . I've followed your tutorial and it worked perfecty on my computer and my iPad. Just one note: It worked well on Netflix, but on Hulu it says that "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool". Well, at least USA Netflix works. Maybe if I try another VPS for Hulu... and recomendations for one provider that is not blacklisted on Hulu (yet)?

• ccarita said: but on Hulu it says that "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool". Well, at least USA Netflix works. Maybe if I try another VPS for Hulu... and recomendations for one provider that is not blacklisted on Hulu (yet)?

Lot's of providers/ISP's are already banned unfortunately :( Last time i tried (4-5 days ago) it was working with BudgetVZ, but that one got banned as well i just noticed :(

Thanked by 1ccarita
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom

I just bought one of your plans I plan on running DNS server on it, mate.

• @Kupol said:
    TinyTunnel_Tom

I just bought one of your plans I plan on running DNS server on it, mate.

No problem hope it works fine. Any issues PM me or send a ticket :)

• This has been documented extensively, with accompanying tools, for a while:
    https://github.com/trick77/tunlr-style-dns-unblocking

The linked-to blog posts (by the author) are from last March, and quite informative. They include workarounds for non-SNI setups as well.

• Thanks @joodle for the tutorial it's working very good

• Anyone know if this works with Hulu and a Roku3? I'm using the Trick77 setup and its perfect for Netflix on my Roku and Hulu in my browser, but Hulu refuses to work on the Roku.

• @jeromeza said:
    Anyone know if this works with Hulu and a Roku3? I'm using the Trick77 setup and its perfect for Netflix on my Roku and Hulu in my browser, but Hulu refuses to work on the Roku.

Should work fine if you follow my tutorial ;)

• @Joodle - have you tested it on a Roku before?

• @jeromeza said:
    Joodle - have you tested it on a Roku before?

No, but it works on a Chromecast, i assume that if it works on that it will work on a Roku as well.

• @Joodle in the Trick77 config they have their own entries in HAProxy e.g. roku.hulu.blahblah so I assume one of those entries has changed, hence it doesn't work.

• ToadyusToadyus Member
    edited February 2015

@jeromeza - this works on roku but is more complicated to setup as you can't set any dns information on the roku so you will need a router or something in front of your roku to give it a different dns address. You will also need to set a static routes on your router to redirect anything going from 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 to your dns server....I'm currently using a router with dd-wrt on it in order to accomplish this, below is the rules i'm using to make sure nothing is going to google's dns servers:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.8.8 -j DNAT --to-destination x.x.x.x

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 8.8.4.4 -j DNAT --to-destination x.x.x.x

I also route anything on my internal network going to 53 to 5353 instead so that anything going out over dns (53) goes to my dns server that I have listening on 5353..

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to x.x.x.x:5353

Thanked by 2razibhasan netomx
  • Any idea about providers that have IPs works for Hulu?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • RamiRami Member

I finally got IPs that work with Hulu and it works fine for me on PC & Windows Phone

Anyone succeeded to get it work on Android or iPhone?

• I don't use Netfix etc. so excuse my ignorance. Is there any reason the classic ssh socks5 proxy with dns forwarding doesn't work, or is this setup simply to facilitate usage with tvs/dongles?

• ATHKATHK Member

@deadbeef said:
    or is this setup simply to facilitate usage with tvs/dongles?

Correct :) anything that doesn't use SNI which includes older smart TVs Xbox 360 Ps3 chromecast etc.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • RamiRami Member
    edited March 2015

@Rami said:

Anyone succeeded to get it work on Android or iPhone?

Solved :)

For anyone that have the same problem remove all the servers and just keep this one “s.hulu.com” in both DNS & HAProxy

In HAProxy no https just http only :D

• Or, why not just use Docker and set up your own DNS-unblocking as a Service (DAAS) within seconds:

https://github.com/trick77/dockerflix

Needs a Rasperry Pi or OpenWrt/DDWrt router though for local DNS resolution because a remote DNS resolver is a PITA for more than one reason.

• ivlaracivlarac Member

I've done exactly as you said in the guide and while the DNS server works fine with any URL, it doesn't work with netflix or hulu. I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

What am I doing wrong? I've done everything and tried everything I could but I don't have enough knowledge of this matter to go on on my own.

• ivlaracivlarac Member

@ivlarac said:
    I've done exactly as you said in the guide and while the DNS server works fine with any URL, it doesn't work with netflix or hulu. I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

What am I doing wrong? I've done everything and tried everything I could but I don't have enough knowledge of this matter to go on on my own.

I got it to work. For this method to work it MUST be haproxy version 1.5. It doens't work in older versions.

Thanks the tutorial.

• We will prove as

• Try take a look at Dockerflix - way easier to implement and update.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@LuRo60 said:
    We will prove as

'????

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @joodle

I tried to do it on one single OpenVZ vps and I'm not being recognized as an US visitor in Netflix.

Is it because the code needs to be different if we want to use it only with 1 VPS?

• This is a very interesting tutorial, I am going to come back to this thank you so much

• @tittooo7 said:
    joodle

I tried to do it on one single OpenVZ vps and I'm not being recognized as an US visitor in Netflix.

Is it because the code needs to be different if we want to use it only with 1 VPS?

This maybe caused by your VPS IP try to test it via SSH Tunnel if Netflix work then the problem in your config (I have a US VPS that show me as in Mexico) ;)

• just a quick question. I followed the tutorial without any problem, but on my computer where should I put my username and password? also I have changed my ipv4 dns (use the following dns server addresses) to my vps ip on my windows 8 but it doesn't work. Can't load any website. Please advise

• 2460124601 Member

Can anyone post the haproxy configuration? It looks like Joodle's site is no longer working...

• ATHKATHK Member

http://pastebin.com/3hNWsBkL

That should do ya, works fine Samsung & SonyTV, Apple TV etc etc

Thanked by 124601