Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things I should know about OpenVZ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Things I should know about OpenVZ

2»

Comments

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    So can XEN and KVM? Please google before posting

Agreed. (And I have seen that happening)
    But guys, can we please not make it "OpenVZ vs KVM/Xen topic" and come back to my actual issue now.
    Going to link it here.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/892617/#Comment_892617

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

please delete

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

Agreed. (And I have seen that happening) But guys, can we please not make it "OpenVZ vs KVM/Xen topic" and come back to my actual issue now. Going to link it here. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/892617/#Comment_892617

Avoiding the peanut gallery who think OVZ has a monopoly on overselling and cannot resist the urge to point out the myth is like trying to violate the laws of physics. It's impossible.

• To me the only inconvenient part is OpenVZ kernels still do not support ipset netfilter extension. Very convenient in real-world hosting, when dynamic filtering with least possible overhead is required.

Apart from this and similar incompatibilities, OpenVZ is the quickest in terms of running several Linux instances and taking very little for itself.

I would add also "avoid using VSwap unless absolutely necessary", to avoid slowdown.

• @sman said:
    Avoiding the peanut gallery who think OVZ has a monopoly on overselling and cannot resist the urge to point out the myth is like trying to violate the laws of physics. It's impossible.

And what does it has anything to do with what I asked ??
    Please ... Let's focus on http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/892617/#Comment_892617

• smansman Member
    edited February 2015

@Master_Bo said:
    To me the only inconvenient part is OpenVZ kernels still do not support ipset netfilter extension. Very convenient in real-world hosting, when dynamic filtering with least possible overhead is required.

Apart from this and similar incompatibilities, OpenVZ is the quickest in terms of running several Linux instances and taking very little for itself.

I would add also "avoid using VSwap unless absolutely necessary", to avoid slowdown.

You can do ipset on the node but not inside a container. Probably won't see that till CE7 kernel.

vSwap is just RAM that is slowed down and presented as swap. An improvement over the way it was before which caused problems with java and was a major headache for me.

• Master_Bo said: To me the only inconvenient part is OpenVZ kernels still do not support ipset netfilter extension.

This is the biggest thing on my wish-list as well.

• @Microlinux said:
    This is the biggest thing on my wish-list as well.

Aye, OpenVZ devteam knows about this request, but no definite ETA so far.

Doing ipset on node is of no real use to me, owner of container :)