Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Outsourcing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Outsourcing

dragon2611dragon2611 Member
edited January 2015 in Providers

A Friendly warning to anyone outsourcing online.net servers if the techincal contact orders a chargable OS install it WILL get billed directly to your account without first confirming with the billing contact.

As I just found out after letting a friend use my spare 2 euro dedi, the idiot went ahead and installed windows on it somehow missing the part where it said about the license cost.

I've contacted online.net support about it on the off chance they can do something but I suspect it's too late and I'll have to pay it (In which case I'll settle my bill with online and then send him an invoice)

Thanked by 2geekalot NanoG6

Comments

• -_- wow good thing I didn't do it

• Seems like a silly system if you cannot define what the users can and cannot do like you can with WHMCS sub-contacts...

• Do you get an email or something when they do it? If so you can use Windows for up to 14 days without being charged, you only get charged after 14 days.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • @hostnoob said:
    Do you get an email or something when they do it? If so you can use Windows for up to 14 days without being charged, you only get charged after 14 days.

Sadly, it looks like that's not always the case. I got an email after 2 days that my windows got activated.

• Yes you get an email, Seeing outsoucing only changes the techincal contact and the billing contact stays the same I was a bit suprised it didn't ask me to confirm the chargable action.

To be fair to online.net it does say on the windows install page that it's chargable, but he was being a prat and didn't actually read it.

Microsoft Windows Standard Server 2012 R2 English (64-bit)

You don't need any licence key

This operating system is billed €29.99 per month pre-tax (no commitment, any month started is due)

Attention! To activate your server click on Start, Run, type slui, then run and follow the activation process

I'm expecting support to turn around and say tough, but I asked the question anyway just on the off chance that they might be able to do something, as I do think it's a bit off that they didn't seek auth from the billing contact (me)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

They should send an invoice to be paid on order, like OVH rather then assume.

• @dragon2611 said:
    Yes you get an email, Seeing outsoucing only changes the techincal contact and the billing contact stays the same I was a bit suprised it didn't ask me to confirm the chargable action.

To be fair to online.net it does say on the windows install page that it's chargable, but he was being a prat and didn't actually read it.

I'm expecting support to turn around and say tough, but I asked the question anyway just on the off chance that they might be able to do something, as I do think it's a bit off that they didn't seek auth from the billing contact (me)

How long ago did he install it? If you reinstall within 14 days you don't pay...

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited January 2015

@hostnoob the text on the install page seems to suggest otherwise "Any month started is due"

But it was done today so we'll see what support say, if the charge stands then mights as well leave it installed for a while as we will have paid for it.

• dragon2611 said: This operating system is billed €29.99 per month pre-tax (no commitment, any month started is due)

There goes the $2 profit...

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited January 2015

@DalComp said:
    There goes the $2 profit...

What profit? It was for a friend so even if i'd gotten around to charging him for the server I'd have let him have it at the cost price.

Wasn't that bothered about 2 euro, might charge him for the license though.