Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Qualitative comparison of Linode, Digital Ocean and Vultr (Updated) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Qualitative comparison of Linode, Digital Ocean and Vultr (Updated)

13»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

breganasher said: I appreciate that some people have had good experiences at Wable, but this sort of unprofessional behaviour is a red flag for me.

If you look above, this is what i said, more or less. Product's performance is great, the human touch, not so much.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

Edit: nvm maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, wable does say in https://wable.com/tos

Email sending and receiving is throttled on the VPS main IP, this throttle is intended to prevent mass email sending (typically SPAM) without affecting email usability for a small business (less than 300 emails per day). Email sending and receiving is blocked on additional IPs bound to VPS.

So whatever the throttle is, it's not going to restrict if you send less than that.

• @breganasher Wable probably closed your account due to your asking that question. Others here have had the same experience after opening a ticket to ask a question that Wable deemed "unworthy". Also see: http://wable.uservoice.com/forums/245224-general

There are some great things about Wable but the way certain things are managed doesn't inspire too much confidence.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

@colm said:
    breganasher Wable probably closed your account due to your asking that question. Others here have had the same experience after opening a ticket to ask a question that Wable deemed "unworthy". Also see: http://wable.uservoice.com/forums/245224-general

There are some great things about Wable but the way certain things are managed doesn't inspire too much confidence.

Maybe it's time to for people to move beyond this idea that they can just open tickets as a shortcut to reading the policy they agreed to in the first place. If it isn't in the policy, there probably is no direct answer to give. In some way, it makes sense to prefer not to deal with people who would rather increase your support overhead than help themselves by reading. They want to sacrifice your convenience for theirs while at the same time paying bottom of the barrel prices. You can't win with some people.

You can draw a line at 50 clients or draw a line at 5000 clients but either way people need to be less dependent on communication from budget unmanaged hosts. If you want to pay to chat, plenty of companies charge enough to do it.

I dunno. Mixed feelings but I can somewhat justify it.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

If he has an open ticket, I am sure it has been resolved fully. :) We are always happy to help resolve issues.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

breganasher said: I certainly appreciate the various recommendations for Wable, but my Wable experience today was horrendous.

After spending a couple hours setting up the server, I opened a ticket to ask if there was a limit to how much cpu I could use. I did this before I ran a high-cpu process in order to remain within whatever restrictions they might have. Soon thereafter I received an automated email advising that my my initial payment had been refunded but the email provided no explanation whatsoever. I could no longer access the server nor could I log into the console. Since I couldn't use their ticket system, I sent them an email describing what had occurred and asked for help. It's been over an hour since that request, and yet I have still heard nothing.

I cannot imagine what I had done to incur this reaction. I never ran the high-cpu process; most of my time was spent simply installing and configuring programs.

I appreciate that some people have had good experiences at Wable, but this sort of unprofessional behaviour is a red flag for me. No matter what the explanation eventually is (if I even get one), there is no excuse for summarily shutting down a customer's account without cause and without communication.

I'm sorry for the troubles you had due to the card being from the USA, your IP being from Canada, and the phone number on your account being set to country code +1809 (Dominican Republic). If we contacted every $1.13 transaction that looked like that we would never have time to do anything else. I see that we tried to work through the issue with you within a couple of hours but you ultimately decided to leave. I would suggest having a card registered in Canada for when you are using a Canadian IP, the phone difference we can mock up to a system issue, but when looking at different countries for IP, payment card, and phone number we're going to refund that right away to avoid a chargeback.

Do we want to improve fraud detection? Absolutely.

Will we reply to accounts marked as fraud within an hour on $1.13 transaction? No probably never.

Are we sorry we lost your business? Absolutely.

Sorry to see you go.

Thanked by 2jar ryanarp
  • @ryanarp said:
    If he has an open ticket, I am sure it has been resolved fully. :) We are always happy to help resolve issues.

Unfortunately, it was not resolved to my satisfaction, but I did get an explanation for what happened. Apparently the Wable interface somehow logged the wrong country code for my telephone number (it used the default +1809 Dominican Republic code instead of +1). As a result, my account was consider fraudulent. No one contacted me for clarification and my account was summarily deleted. Two hours work setting up the server were lost.

I have since been looking around the internet for more Wable experiences and found that a number of former customers had the same issue with automatic account deletion. Certainly not good for the customer. And none too good for Wable's reputation. It's particularly unfortunate in this case because, from what I saw, Wable does indeed offer a compelling product. But few of us can live with the uncertainty of having our account deleted without notice.

On a related issue, I can't agree with the comment made by @Jar that a customer shouldn't ask a question if there is some confusion. I believe it was proper for me to ask if there was a limit for a high-cpu application. I think this is just common courtesy and a sensible precaution to avoid future issues.

Thanked by 3SpeedyKVM jar ryanarp
  • SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

No doubt ^ I understand your frustrations.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to weed out the fraudsters from innocent people who have cards from different countries. I assume you may run into issues with other providers too, and suggest you contact them before loading critical data explaining that your card is from a different country from your IP address. Most providers wont have the time to contact $1 account owners to verify that.

Again, sorry to see you go. Thank you for the feedback. When snapshots roll out we plan to integrate snapshots into account termination, so that accounts can be restored later or data downloaded.

• @Incero said:
    No doubt ^ I understand your frustrations.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to weed out the fraudsters from innocent people who have cards from different countries. I assume you may run into issues with other providers too, and suggest you contact them before loading critical data explaining that your card is from a different country from your IP address. Most providers wont have the time to contact $1 account owners to verify that.

Again, sorry to see you go. Thank you for the feedback. When snapshots roll out we plan to integrate snapshots into account termination, so that accounts can be restored later or data downloaded.

I do understand your point of view and I don't want to belabour this point but ...

• The only reason the transaction was $1 was that you bill the first month fractionally until the end of the month. True, it's only a $8 recurring charge but the $1 was your choice, not mine.
    • I have NEVER had an issue with this credit card and I use it at several of your competitors every month. I'm not saying that my circumstances are not slightly unusual, just that no one else has had a problem.

Again, I know that fraud is a serious problem online. But, in the end, I think you have to weigh the cost of the fraud against the cost of hurting your reputation with legitimate customers. What was one of the main reasons I did not reactivate the account when I was offered it? My concern about what will happen two months down the road when there is another hiccup and my account is again deleted.

• @Incero does Wable even have an API yet?

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • tr1cky said: To anyone interested: Here is a public uptime report for servers in all of their 14 locations, looks great, doesn't it?

https://nodeping.com/reports/status/5F6H25O08S

@tr1cky What are you monitoring there exactly? HTTP check?

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited January 2015

@Maounique said: (...) but i have a issue with kernels and both DO and OVZ from wable fail there, DO by choice, wable because that is the nature of the containerization.

Any idea of the reasoning behind DO's such unorthodox setup, given their platform is KVM?

• @breganasher said:
    That would be a shrewd marketing move. A 7-day money-back guarantee is really too short for a good test. If I had had a month to play with I probably wouldn't have given up after a bad day with them. And a month is only a $10 credit after all.

I signed up with linode with a promo $50 offer. Guess that doesn't happen very often, from what I'm reading here

• A quick update on Digital Ocean: They have just announced that their backup system will now only do weekly backups. For what seemed like a great company, they seem to be moving backwards. I'm going to have to consider moving away from them now.

• @breganasher said: A quick update on Digital Ocean: They have just announced that their backup system will now only do weekly backups.

They still charge 20% for the weekly backups?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Edit: Nevermind, misread above comments

• @aglodek said:
    They still charge 20% for the weekly backups?

Yep, 20% for the weekly backups. But, until now, they didn't actually charge for the backups.

• I really love DigitalOcean, been using them for 14 months. Haven't had any problem. Their support is very quick and too knowledgeable. As mentioned in the main post they offer credits.

Recently they got me very surprised when they offered me $3+ credits just for asking why my Card wasn't charged. They gave me that credit and said that they only charge if you have due of $5 and over.

• [OOT]
    why no one complain about affiliate link ? on DO and VULTR link.

back to topic :
    I've use wable for 5 month, and really happy. I'm on bundle #3
    Minus : can't using other email than email that linked to my paypal.
    overall I'm very happy with Wable.
    I use one VPS for low traffic mail server (about 10 email per day ;) ).

DO? still looking arround for replacement for SG location.

VULTR : I've left for few month for various reason. They block SMTP port, but with single ticket, they'll happy to open port 25 for you.

Linode : really happy so far :D