Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody with a Atom™ N2800(2820) dedicated with Windows I can test?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody with a Atom™ N2800(2820) dedicated with Windows I can test?

Hello.

I have a little issue I hope somebody here on LET can help me with.
My old backup server that I have off site (at my moms place) is toast. It was an old Intel Pentium T4300 (2.1 Ghz dual core) laptop with a 2 TB external drive to store my files on.
The disk is intact, so I will use it on a new computer.
But, this is only a backup server, has no other task then to store files on it. But since I wants the external disk to be encrypted (if there is a break in or something) I want to use Windows.

I'm looking at Intel NUC with Atom™ N2820 - 4 GB RAM - 120 GB SSD OS disk. (almost $300) But can this computer run Windows on it? I will use Windows Server 2012 R2 that is one of the fastest and smallest Windows os out their, that also is new, and gets all the security updates etc.

So, do anybody have a Atom™ N2820 computer with Windows Server 2012 R2 on it, so they can confirm it work?
Or do anybody have a spare Atom™ N2820 computer they can install Windows Server 2012 R2 on, and let me test it via Remote Desktop?
The best thing is if it has a SSD disk and 4 GB of RAM.

My second choice, is just renting a server in Sweden, paying around $25/month. I'm doing this just now, and it works great. And if I need my backup, I have tested and get full speed into my home from it. Still, it's more expensive to rent then to buy. Of course, the server I'm renting has two 3.5 Ghz cores, but, I really don't need anything powerfull just for FTP?

Comments

• Windows should run just fine on that Intel Nuc :)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Ok, then I think I will go for it. Complete control over my own hardware in my family house, is better then a server in a DC, there the provider can have access to my files.
    I have paid for 6 months on the server in Sweden (or, I added fund for months) so I will keep it to the funds is out, then buy Intel NUC.

I'm using a more powerful Intel Nuc (D54250WYKH, Core i5-4250U) as my Media Center computer in my living room, got it this week. and it works really well. So like the Intel NUC concept. But the Core i5 is around 150% more expensive then the Atom one.

• you would be better getting a G3258. that runs plex transcoding fine aswell as file servers.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    you would be better getting a G3258. that runs plex transcoding fine aswell as file servers.

Can't find any Intel NUC with that CPU, and I will just have something small like the NUC there, not a full size computer or something.

And it's only my long term backup storage, my last resort if my house burns down, my online backup service has gone broke at the same time. Thats the only time I need to pull files from the backup stored on that computer. Thats why I don't want to spend lots of money on it.

• The official Intel NUC operating system support table is
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034034.htm

Windows server is not officially supported by DN2820FYKH, but N-series platforms with Intel support chips (such as the network chip) are covered by the windows 2012r2 inbox drivers; I tested this with other Atom motherboards and I don't see any blocking issues on your choice.

I had your same need in 2013 and I choosed the DC53427HYE NUC because it has integrated KVM support trough vPro technology. See this page for details: http://www.virten.net/2013/11/howto-intel-nuc-remote-kvm-with-amt-powered-by-vpro

My current setup is a HP G7 microserver fitted with the dedicated internal remote control card. It has 4 hotplug 3.5'' slots plus space for the boot media, this is a far better setup for a small storage server, price and size are of course higher.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhken said: Can't find any Intel NUC with that CPU

no NUC but you could build a really small mini/micro itx system

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited January 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Don't want to build anything, just want to have something small, insert HDD, turn on, setup OS, then forget it.

• Since you already choosed the Windows 2012R2 OS, I encourage you to enable the deduplication feature. It does wonders for uncompressed or redundant files. I tried it on one filesystem with many duplicated files, and it shrinked the used disk space to one third of the original size (from over 900 down to less than 300 Gb).

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Do NOT enable deduplication on anyting slower than an i5.

• @William said:
    Do NOT enable deduplication on anyting slower than an i5

I have no plans other then using FTP uploading files to my disk, no compressed no nothing. Just a normal FTP server, but I need to encrypt the harddrive so if it get stolen, they don't have all my personal backup, like documents and pictures etc.

• William said: Do NOT enable deduplication on anyting slower than an i5.

Deduplication works fine on the G3258. with no visible system performance drop (overclocked to 3.6Ghz)

• On my experience, deduplication on Windows 2012r2 is not heavy on resource usage, as expected. It is not realtime, it is a batch job that can be scheduled at will (I schedule it on off-peak hours). I haven't tried deduplication togheter with bitlocker or encryption, but I suppose it does not work on encrypted data.

• But why Atom ?

Here i can have an i3 with in that budget.

• @Sady said:
    But why Atom ?

Here i can have an i3 with in that budget.

For a Intel Nuc here in Norway, the Core i3 cost (2600 NOK) around $200 more then the Atom version. (1300 NOK)