Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you wish you could monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you wish you could monitor

wojonswojons Member
edited January 2015 in General

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to know what you wish you could monitor. Normally things that run on servers (Currently Linux Only). The pending update and few following updates of elasticTrace are going to be geared towards monitoring of services/applications that run on your server. I already have a list of a few things that I think will be useful but I also wanted to know the following. If you could have an in-depth monitoring dashboard of anything on your server what would it be for.

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Only thing I would like to monitor is my life. I misplaced it somewhere and can't find it. :)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @MikHo said:
    Only thing I would like to monitor is my life. I misplaced it somewhere and can't find it. :)

Ask the NSA they may be able to help you with that.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @MikHo said:

Ask your wife, she is the one who will be monitoring you

• @mashokk369 said:

agree :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@wojons said:
    Ask the NSA they may be able to help you with that.

I do use an Iphone so its a big chance that they are tracking me. Thanks!

@mashokk369 said:
    Ask your wife, she is the one who will be monitoring you

Problem with the wife monitoring me is that email or sms alerts when I'm down is not included. :)

• jlayjlay Member
    edited January 2015

I can't say I have any significant experience with monitoring services since none of my personal stuff is mission-critical, and everywhere I've worked has this is handled by a specific department that I have yet to be a part of.

With that said, I'd like something remote to monitor things like load (user, sys, i/o, etc) as well as various services. Zabbix can do this but from what I've seen, it's a bit overkill for my needs and needlessly complex.

The trick is, I want something more in-depth than simply relying on the consistency of ICMP traffic or opening a socket. Things like seeing how many workers Apache has available or dovecot authentication slots.

• Though, I'm still "teething" on monitoring servers, I wish there was a somewhat easy to use, yet "precise" Google Analytics version for hosting providers where they could install it on server side as a base service. I certainly don't doubt Nagios/Zabbix/MRTG etc are very reliable tools, just that configuring and understanding them isn't "out of the box"

• @mehargags said:
    Though, I'm still "teething" on monitoring servers, I wish there was a somewhat easy to use, yet "precise" Google Analytics version for hosting providers where they could install it on server side as a base service. I certainly don't doubt Nagios/Zabbix/MRTG etc are very reliable tools, just that configuring and understanding them isn't "out of the box"

I am still having a hard time understanding what makes those tools not reliable and are you saying you would want to install it in the users VM?

@tehmaggot said:
    I can't say I have any significant experience with monitoring services since none of my personal stuff is mission-critical, and everywhere I've worked has this is handled by a specific department that I have yet to be a part of.

With that said, I'd like something remote to monitor things like load (user, sys, i/o, etc) as well as various services. Zabbix can do this but from what I've seen, it's a bit overkill for my needs and needlessly complex.

The trick is, I want something more in-depth than simply relying on the consistency of ICMP traffic or opening a socket. Things like seeing how many workers Apache has available or dovecot authentication slots.

so if the tools were not so complex to install then it would be a something that you would want to use.

• Yea, if they weren't so complicated I'd certainly set something up and use it. My needs don't really make the learning curve to things like Zabbix really worthwhile.

Although maybe I have it built up in my head and think it's more difficult than it really is. Who knows :p

• @tehmaggot said:
    Yea, if they weren't so complicated I'd certainly set something up and use it. My needs don't really make the learning curve to things like Zabbix really worthwhile.

Although maybe I have it built up in my head and think it's more difficult than it really is. Who knows :p

Making everything configurable from the UI in elastictrace is one of the major things i wok from just install the agent and change its settings from the website. Your idea for apache is on its way its bound for next release

• @wojons said:
    Making everything configurable from the UI in elastictrace is one of the major things i wok from just install the agent and change its settings from the website. Your idea for apache is on its way its bound for next release

Awesome :D

Seemingly small things like that can make a big, big difference. Standard monitoring tools that look at things like load average or if the server responds to pings tend to miss some pretty significant things. An example being Slowloris attacks. They aren't really resource intensive (unless you use Prefork), but can still be quite annoying.

• My overall goal is to make easy to use full featured monitoring for an affordable price. If there are ever services you think a monitoring tool should be able to monitor and help you solve problems faster then let me know.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited January 2015

@wojons said:
    My overall goal is to make easy to use full featured monitoring for an affordable price. If there are ever services you think a monitoring tool should be able to monitor and help you solve problems faster then let me know.

Will do :) I'll think it over a bit and see if I can come up with anything!

Oh, one thing, perhaps for VZ based VPS', check numtcpsock and compare it to established/waiting connections reported by something like netstat. Perhaps an adjustable level/percentage to consider "warn" or "alert" level. Maybe even for every user_beancounter...

Virtuozzo already does that but it'd be good to have all of this in the same place.

My brain's all over the place now. I'll think it over and reply if I have anything good (and remember, lol).