Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Top Providers Poll?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Next Top Providers Poll?

It's nearly towards halfway through January. When will the next Top Providers Poll for 2014 Q4 begin?

Comments

• Personally feel it should be done half yearly. Really, we've grown to where the top LE providers are quite stable and so there won't be much movement in ranking. Honestly, it comes down to which providers have been most active on LET and whose been giving out mad deals.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2015

From a user's perspective, the poll has become a bit boring. No surprises concering the result and the deals that have been offered by the winners in past were much more attractive.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Not really sure how its judged but we never got nominated :(

• @MonsteR said:
    Not really sure how its judged but we never got nominated :(

No nominations, it's a free for all.

• @ivanh said:
    No nominations, it's a free for all.

So people just vote in text oppose to having to get a few company's nominated for the poll? As thought it was who ever LET and you can only pick the company's they allow.

• @MonsteR said:
    So people just vote in text oppose to having to get a few company's nominated for the poll? As thought it was who ever LET and you can only pick the company's they allow.

Nope, voters can choose anyone they like. Even Dewlance placed once, thanks to boredom on the part of some folks.

Makes it even worse, doesn't it?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

MonsteR said: As thought it was who ever LET and you can only pick the company's they allow.

Any company can be voted, people did even for non-LE ones, such as Linode et all, they did not get in the top, but that was probably because of too few votes. Do is a constant presence, even though they do not advertise here, also OVH and others that really hate this place. It is not a poll with given options, you can vote for really everything.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited January 2015

@Nekki said:
    Makes it even worse, doesn't it?

Indeed it does.

• How funny would it be if a non-VPS provider made it into the polls...

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

They promised it would be "different" last time...

• I shall Save the time.. And the winners are!!!..

1) Ramnode (Such awesome :D)

2) Nodisto (Come back Oktay! We Love you!!!)

3) Prometeus (Omnomnom)

4) Dr Server (Pure Awesomeness)

5) BuyVM (YIPPEEEE LOWENDANYCAST)

6) InceptionHosting (Anthony is the best!)

7) Digital Ocean (Free Credit, Free Credit,.. And More Free Credit.. oh and new OS Support)

8) Catalyst Host (Top Notch stuff here)

9) Crissic Solutions (Some of the best deals and best support around!)

10) NanoVZ (yes i wanna be here :P)

HM: Every Single CC host -.-

DM: Vultr for been so secretive about their hardware/network.

So, that's a wrap for Q4 2014-Q1 2015 We'll see you next time :)

• @0xdragon said:
    How funny would it be if a non-VPS provider made it into the polls...

Didn't online.net make it into last one?

• @AutoSnipe said:
    I shall Save the time.. And the winners are!!!..

You forgot to put XVMLabs / Bandwagonhost. Oh, RansomIT deserves a HM as well ;).

• @petabyet they sure do. Reminds me to renew my bandwagons :p

• LeeLee Veteran

I think the quarterly poll is quite good, it keeps track of providers to a certain degree and that information can be used by current and prospective customers. You will see the odd complaint justified or otherwise however if people start to move away from a specific provider they tend not to come shouting about it en masse, but simply move on, perhaps to another provider.

Where you can more likely see that change is through quarterly polls. The results have been fairly stable of late but complacency should not mean the polls have little value and should not take place. Yes the top 2 or 3 are often the same however it depends how much you read into the overall results, there is a fair bit of information if you are willing to analyse it all rather than just rely on the outcome in it’s simplest form.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

i call this ddosing season or weeks of hell :)
    Every pool issue... not once that it was pain free

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Gunter said:
    It's nearly towards halfway through January. When will the next Top Providers Poll for 2014 Q4 begin?

I don't suppose you've read the last one then?

That's exactly why we're going to be doing them differently and no longer quarterly, but semi-annually. In addition to that, we're looking to make them more interesting altogether.

Once my plans are finalized I'll put them up for community feedback so see what you guys think before the next poll starts.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

Well, semi-annually should be at the beginning and the middle of the year. The new year one will catch all the last year's offers for black friday and christmas, whatever, which would be really strange if talked about in April. Also, April Fouls poll?

• active8active8 Member
    edited January 2015

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

6 hours for a response to a production VPS problem, but you made it a production VPS, not Crissic. If you are going to use any service for production that will cause you issues if you need to wait up to 24 hours for a response on then a LEB is not your answer.

Neither is using this thread as a bargaining chip.

• If you've got the bottle to post something, have the bottle to leave it there.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

mpkossen said: I don't suppose you've read the last one then?

Maybe he couldn't find it because of http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/858831/#Comment_858831 ?

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2015

Quarterly is best. The providers can change pretty drastically. Tons of previous top 3 providers are no longer listed, but some of them are still pretty good. It also reflects changes in the quality of service -- e.g. that one UK company that was on it that started to just get negative feedback.. Patrick's company w/e it was called. Never used them anyhow but people were raving on end about it and then everyone started complaining about it... quarterly gives us the best depiction of whose actually able to stay in the top. It's long overdue IMO.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • ivanhivanh Member
    edited February 2015

@Xei said:
    Quarterly is best. The providers can change pretty drastically. Tons of previous top 3 providers are no longer listed, but some of them are still pretty good. It also reflects changes in the quality of service -- e.g. that one UK company that was on it that started to just get negative feedback.. Patrick's company w/e it was called. Never used them anyhow but people were raving on end about it and then everyone started complaining about it... quarterly gives us the best depiction of whose actually able to stay in the top. It's long overdue IMO.

I respectively disagree. Top three is some iteration of RamNode, Prometeus and previous 3rd - 5th place.

Same thing with 4th - 10th. Mainly the same companies in a different order.

Edit; Quick stats. Highlighted = duplicates.

• @ivanh said:
    Same thing with 4th - 10th. Mainly the same companies in a different order.

Agreed. It's unfortunate that it has to be that way, but those companies do deserve to be at the top considering how well they provide services and how much they've expanded.

My Suggestion: Have a Honorable Mention section reserved for hosts that have already made top 10 more than 3 times and would have made it again, but simply relegate them to the honors section as if they've been mentioned that many times, everyone on LET probably knows about them anyways. I'm looking at you @Nick_A ;)

Or instead of above suggestion, perhaps it would be good to have a feature section with stuff like "most improved", or something similar. It would definitely provide us with a little more variety.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2015

@ivanh said:

You took into account one year... compare the past few years.. it's pretty drastic. INIZ wasn't even on the Q3 yet was TOP 3 in Q1 of the same year -- that's a big f**king change. By Q3 it let everyone know to stay the hell away from INIZ.. if we didn't have that poll lots of people would have been duped by the Q1/Q2 results. It's a volatile business and not everyone has time to weed through all the posts on here to find out what's changed, acquisitions, mergers, which company had degraded quality that was a top 3 provider and dropped out of the top 10 the next quarter (re: INIZ). I almost exclusively come here quarterly to review the polls to see how providers are trending/changing, and use that to buy new VPS's. IMO that's LEB/LET's bring drawing point / most popular asset. It also encourages competition and keeps providers on their toes.

W1V_Lee said: Where you can more likely see that change is through quarterly polls. The results have been fairly stable of late but complacency should not mean the polls have little value and should not take place.

I agree with above commentor. If it becomes bi-annually I'll just be coming here that much less and same goes probably for a lot of the traffic that those polls would otherwise generate.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2015

What are you talking about, you really have no idea do you @Xei? If I get the go ahead to post another promotion here on LET/LEB we'll be back in the polls guaranteed. If you take a look at Q3 I didn't post much at all. INIZ remains the same, the amount of orders processed every week hasn't changed and there are new happy clients everyday. Just because a single node had a issue back in Nov or so doesn't mean its total crap as you claim and you have nothing to back yourself up with apart from just one host you decided to pick for whatever reason without much thought.

There are still several dozen (a lot more)+ clients from LET still active and happy clients, I still am in contact with a lot of members of whom I met from here though some are not active on this forum anymore for obvious reasons with the quality of the posts here now and everyone getting DDoS'ed.

• I dont even see a big change in the quality of Iniz. I had the chance to cancel my servers right perfect in time when the change came. But i chose to stay with them and i dont regret that so far.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2015

@Patrick I just skimmed comments about INIZ on here and/or threads about the 'quality difference' -- obviously I didn't have time to research extensively because it's too new of a provider/don't care cause I'm not a customer (and it kept me from becoming a potential customer). I'd imagine whatever the issues were would be be resolved by now which a quarterly poll would probably prove (or if not, poll would prove as well). I've edited the post to say 'degraded quality'.

Thanked by 1Patrick
  • Yes, we need the new list please