Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need recommendations for reliable budget VPS providers (~$5/mo)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need recommendations for reliable budget VPS providers (~$5/mo)

A provider that comes to mind is Digital Ocean and Vultr. Any other recommendations for budget VPS hosts with some rock-solid reliability and good reputation?

Comments

• Look at the last top provider polls.

• Ramnode

• I've been waiting for the past few weeks for ramnode to post some new offers since I need two new vPS's.

• @Stacy said:
    I've been waiting for the past few weeks for ramnode to post some new offers since I need two new vPS's.

I think with the introduction of their new plans and prices, Nick said they wouldn't post offers/coupons any more.

Although you do get $5 credit when you buy a new VPS, so you could buy one and get $5 off the next.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited January 2015

deleted

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

timnboys said: Well I am a newcomer to the scene of vps hosting and I haven't been in business for long

does not seem to meet

said: rock-solid reliability and good reputation

To the OP, you can't go wrong with BuyVM, Ramnode, or SecureDragon.

• We have a 256MB RAM, 256MB vSwap, 10GB SSD, 100Mbps Uplink, Unmetered Bandwidth, 1 IPv4 Address, 40Gbps DDoS Mitigation for £1.7 ($2.58) first month when using our promotion code "Opening2014" and then £2 ($3.03) recurring months and we have been up for just under 2 months and we have a global network uptime of 99.98% and no hardware failure's.

edited January 2015

deleted

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited January 2015

timnboys said: Let me tell you I may not have a good website yet

*FTFY :)

• timnboys said: Let me tell you I may not have a good reputation yet(as I am a newcomer) or been established as a rock-solid reliability provider yet

The thing is, that's what the OP asked for, and you don't meet the criteria. Here's some free advice, don't be "that guy who spams his offers in every single thread regardless of what the OP is asking for"

Nobody likes that guy.

Thanked by 3Dillybob rm_ Pwner
    edited January 2015

@hostnoob Yes I may have to correct myself as I don't want to end up as that guy.
    I really don't want to end up as a failure like that guy.
    sorry if I derailed the thread in anyway. with me not thinking not to be that "guy"

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • You can't wrong with the top providers from the polls here. I mean RamNode, BuyVM, SecureDragon (Haven't tried yet, but heard only positives), Crissic and Prometeus (Not sure whether they have a <5$ plan)

• Happy with digitalocean and vultr..both are good providers..

• @raindog308 said:
    To the OP, you can't go wrong with BuyVM

You can definitively go wrong with BuyVM. Last month, I ordered a new (fourth) VPS and it came with a ridiculous low number of inodes (only 130K), instead of the usual 26214K on their other nodes. When asked, the support replied they refuse to increase it to a normal value.

• @bizzard said:
    You can't wrong with the top providers from the polls here. I mean RamNode, BuyVM, SecureDragon (Haven't tried yet, but heard only positives), Crissic and Prometeus (Not sure whether they have a <5$ plan)

I used SecureDragon while back before moving to RamNode. Their service and support were outstanding. I'd place RamNode in the same category. I only moved because I wanted an SSD plan and RamNode has them.

• hostingwizard_net said: When asked, the support replied they refuse to increase it to a normal value.

@Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

hostingwizard_net said: You can definitively go wrong with BuyVM. Last month, I ordered a new (fourth) VPS and it came with a ridiculous low number of inodes (only 130K), instead of the usual 26214K on their other nodes. When asked, the support replied they refuse to increase it to a normal value.

That's odd? o_O

No one should have denied it since our standard provision should be 2M. If you want > 2M we ask people to allow us to move them to ploop.

If you have a ticket ID i'd love to see it.

Francisco

• @drserver runs a great business for budget pricing. You really get some amazing services for the price you pay as well as friendly and helpful support. His company is always worth a mention.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Bet 100$ on Aldryic, he's the biggest jerk in the industry.

@tr1cky said:
    Bet 100$ on Aldryic, he's the biggest jerk in the industry.

It was but he wasn't a jerk about it. You're just angry at him for reasons we won't discuss here :P

Aldryic went by what other users in Jersey had. He didn't know that 2M was our standard in Jersey and thought we kept it at the 130k limit due to the lack of SSD's over there. That isn't the case, 2M is our standard on all node configurations but it seems there was a bug in one of the provision scripts where it hasn't been applying the 2M limit.

Anyway, if the user in question was still interested in service (not sure if they got a refund or what), i'd kick them a free month since that was our screw up.

Thanks for the feedback!

Francisco

• RunAbove...
    I use it for my production site -> http://www.99blogger.com
    Check the loading speed yourself

• I got a VPS so I wouldn't have to deal with downtime in case of HDD failure, then the VPS was down because of an abuser on the node. -.- Now I am back on a dedicated server.

You should be able to get redundancy with anycast IP from buyvm, but I am not sure how it works.

4n0nx said: You should be able to get redundancy with anycast IP from buyvm, but I am not sure how it works.

Anycast is good if they're serving static content or want to setup an SQL cluster with MariaDB or something.

If they're running a gameserver/teamspeak/etc, then those aren't going to handle very well unless they support sharding.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Anycast is good if they're serving static content or want to setup an SQL cluster with MariaDB or something.

Ah. Does postfix work well with anycast?

4n0nx said: Ah. Does postfix work well with anycast?

The mail has to dump into a centralized place, so if there is a MySQL backend for storing mail that'd work i'm sure :)

Francisco

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • GreenCloudVPS Only one can I recommend I already signup with 10 providers t less and they were the best .

Thanked by 1NDTN