Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ramnode review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ramnode review

Since I did a review for EDIS, I thought I should do one for my other favourite provider. There's already tons of positive reviews out there, but there's a reason for that, and it's because Ramnode are awesome.

I have two VPSes with them, both 128MB cached-SSD plans. The first of which I got in July this year. I originally got the 128MB SSD plan, and performance was extremely good, but then I decided to use it as a backup server and one for an image hosting site so wanted the extra space, and performance is still amazing anyway.

Support is extremely quick and helpful. I created the ticket below (low priority) and got a reply within 2 minutes. The following replies are all extremely quick too, it's almost like instant messaging. You can go for a drink, come back and you know there's gonna be a reply. This has been my experience with every ticket too (no tickets opened for incidents though, only a query and some requests like changing VPS type).

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2299.896 MHz
Total amount of ram : 128 MB
Total amount of swap : 64 MB
System uptime :   38 days, 9:01,
Download speed from CacheFly: 20.4MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.89MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 14.7MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.64MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 101MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 74.6MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.36MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.6MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.04MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.7MB/s
I/O speed :  587 MB/s
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.30GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2300.118 MHz
Total amount of ram : 128 MB
Total amount of swap : 64 MB
System uptime :   104 days, 4:34,
Download speed from CacheFly: 45.1MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.37MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 18.3MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.52MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 84.5MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 53.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.53MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.70MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 9.77MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 17.8MB/s
I/O speed :  505 MB/s

I can't remember why the uptime is only 38 days on the first box above, I think it was a DDoS on the node or kernel crash or something. Other than that both have been solid since I set them up.

System performance is really good, on both of my boxes (different nodes). That's one thing though, I don't really understand the advantage of the SSD vs cached-SSD. I remember getting like 700+ MB/s but I get 500+ with the storage so is there more than just the drives? @Nick_A

Would definitely recommend Ramnode to anyone though, and for the price there's no reason not to sign up.

Great job Nick + team!

Thanked by 2myhken desperand

Comments

• Nice!
    waiting for LA data center.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thank you very much @hostnoob :)

@teddysun - hopefully this week!

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited January 2015

Anyone can explain to me why I do not have problems with Ramnode as with other providers?

( except prometeus, and runabove )

• @desperand said:
    Anyone can explain to me why I do not have problems with Ramnode as with other providers?

because they compile their kernel with this >> -problem=no

/jk

• @Nick_A said:
    Thank you very much hostnoob :)

teddysun - hopefully this week!

I will get one when LA is ready ;)
    Any promotion plan for the new LA datacenter ?

• desperand said: Anyone can explain to me why I do not have problems with Ramnode as with other providers?

Because they have their shit together, and are serious about the services they provide.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • I like ramnode but sadly had to cancel my OpenVZ in NL with them due to network issues and a few timeouts :(

• @teddysun said:
    Nice!
    waiting for LA data center.

definately waiting for LA. they too slow

• @desperand said:

Server performance is excellent, support is excellent. Prices are still excellent (IMO) while still being sustainable. It's just a well run operation altogether.

There are plenty of other providers on here who people don't have many problems with, they just don't get talked about as much as certain other providers.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Maounique
  • @hostnoob said:
    There are plenty of other providers on here who people don't have many problems with, they just don't get talked about as much as certain other providers.

+1, but then again people prefer to complain rather than compliment.

Thanked by 2Nick_A Maounique
  • @Nick_A said:
    Thank you very much hostnoob :)

teddysun - hopefully this week!

Will you have all kinds of plan like other 4 locations?Will allow PT in LA?I know PCCW may be more expensive and I hope get a good performance for website.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, I have VPSes without problems with many providers, the reason I don't do many reviews is that people will say I have something to hide and my requirements are very low anyway. You will see a lot of complaints about some providers and those generally have paid reviews too, that means they should be avoided for anything where uptime matters even a bit, but if you really have important stuff online which must be there no matter what, you need to get more VPSes and setup some redundancy with multiple providers.
    The real advantage of this place is that you can find cheap deals for low brow projects AND for building a RAIP (redundant array of inexpensive providers) at a lower price than a "top notch" AWS or Azure setup which can still fail and have more resources overall as well as an almost ready-to-go CDN around the world.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • i bought 3 VPS 128 MB RAM with HDD at RAMNODE.
    sometimes, receive an email notification server restart but everything works fine :D

Thanked by 1Nick_A