Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another pretty decent dedi server deal? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another pretty decent dedi server deal?

124»

Comments

• @StormVZ said: "Used" and buy out via colo which they said would be around $50/mo with same plan

From what Dacentec told me, the server itself cost 300 to buy (base configuration) if you want to buy it right now, and colo is 40 per month.

I think one really good point of their deal is they allow 2A power for 1U configuration at 40 bucks, normally colo providers will only allow 1A power at that price point.

• @Dania said: old junk server?

I would not say it's junk.. it's actually a pretty capable server considering it comes with 16gb of ECC ram and dual quad core Xeon's.. for the price it's a really excellent deal, ask anyone and they will tell you that HP's are one of the best brands for servers.

Thanked by 2NateN34 geekalot
  • @earl do you prefer the HP SE1101 they have over the Supermicro? They seem to have very similar specs and same price:

2x L5420 Xeon Quad Core 2.5GHz
    16GB RAM
    1TB SATA (though HP one says "Enterprise" HDD)
    4 Hot Swap Bays
    Free IP KVM loan on request
    10TB bandwidth, Gigabit Port

With the specs and price being the same, would you choose the HP or the Supermicro and why?

• Dacentec is a real company. Subsidiary of a good sized European company.

Lenoir, NC, is where I believe both Apple and Google have opened datacenters recently.

Network is fine. I use @Jarland 's company there. Considered using Dacentec for that rent to own offer. Instead more interested in getting cozier to an east coast Equinix facility. NC adds some latency.

Check this page out about Dacentec's parent company and the leadership --- some big prior successes:
    http://dacentec.com/Our+Successes

Thanked by 2jar geekalot
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@pubcrawler said: Dacentec is a real company. Subsidiary of a good sized European company.

Incubaid, specifically :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@geekalot said: With the specs and price being the same, would you choose the HP or the Supermicro and why?

The HP has a riser card. The Supermicro supports more memory.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Check out the new server lines they have, including E1230 v2 and HP DL360 G5:

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/

This offer is getting more and more irresistible...I might just grab one for fun :)

• @geekalot

I think the HP is a better buy.. it's a big brand that everyone is familiar with and would probably fetch better resale value if you decide to sell it later on. Supermicro seems to cater more towards the budget market so a new HP server with same specs would definetly cost more than the supermicro, I don't think you can go wrong with either servers but for the same price the HP is definitely a better deal!!

Thanked by 2geekalot Nexus
  • Pretty expensive for the E3..

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • How does the rent to own work?

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @serverbear
    Once the leasing period is over (usually 12 months) you can ask them to ship you the server or colo it at the DC.
    If you were interested I'd suggest contacting another provider directly, you could get a much better deal (on the E3).

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @pubcrawler said: Check this page out about Dacentec's parent company and the leadership --- some big prior successes:

And here's a nice directory of their websites :)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the kind words. Always trying to offer better, greener products.

Thanked by 2Nexus ajit
  • Latest update: I just confirmed with William at Dacentec that those E3s are brandnew servers! This deal is getting better and better! :)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @zhuanyi I don't see any options for a hardware RAID-10 controller or SSD, otherwise I would be interested :)

• @marcm said: I don't see any options for a hardware RAID-10 controller or SSD, otherwise I would be interested :)

I believe those are hardware RAID 10 and you can ship your own drive to them, you can talk to William on their live chat page, I just talked to him, really nice guy

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • Yep, honestly Dacentec is pretty nice with their support.

Thanked by 1Nexus

@marcm Just make sure it has expansion and mail a controller.

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @jarland I just talked to William and he will email me in a couple of days :)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @jarland: buy me a raid controller

Thanked by 1Nexus

@HalfEatenPie HP P410 with 512mb FBWC and BBU, eBay, total winner for best performance to price that I've found so far ;)

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • I heard mixing HP Raids with other servers is bad news bears

Thanked by 1Nexus

Other companies make servers?

Thanked by 1Nexus
  • @jarland: Your pants makes servers

Thanked by 1jar
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited November 2012

Dell F1D 2xL5140 8GB

2X Dual Core XEON 5140