Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anybody install shadowsocks on vultr sucessful?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

anybody install shadowsocks on vultr sucessful?

i install shadowsocks on vultr ,but cant connect to the intenet ,but when i do the same thing on digitalocean, it works like a charm ,what is wrong?

Comments

• Yep, works fine. What OS are you using?

• You gave us a vague "it works here but not there" example and expect and answer? We need far more information then this to troubleshoot. What OS? What versions of the software (not just what you're installing, but the actual software it uses)? Logs? Errors during runtime? So on and so forth.

Thanked by 1wlcy001
  • I got it working on Digital Ocean, too. I don't have a Vultr machine to try it on.

Here's what I did.

I am assuming you start from a clean install.

Log on to your server with SSH.

Since this is a new server, do the usual server set up. Change the root password:

passwd

Add a non-root user, and make it a member of the sudo group:

adduser bertan
    usermod -G sudo bertan

Set up the firewall. Open port 22 only for whitelisted IP addresses. Choose a port number for Shadowsocks, for example 8388, and open that port to packets from anywhere:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s your.isp.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s friends.isp.0.0/16 -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8388 -j ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -P INPUT DROP

We will close IPv6 input, since we do not need it:

sudo ip6tables -P INPUT DROP

Make these changes persistent across reboots:

sudo apt-get install iptables-persistent

Update your entire operating system:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

Reboot:

reboot

Once rebooted, transfer your local public key to the server, for access by your non-root user:

ssh-copy-id -i ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub [email protected]

Log on to the server with your private key and with your non-root user:

ssh [email protected]

Stop anyone else from logging in:

sudo vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin no
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    PasswordAuthentication no

sudo service ssh restart

Now for Shadowsocks itself.

Install the Python package installer and the cryptography library:

sudo apt-get install python-pip python-m2crypto

Now you can install Shadowsocks:

sudo pip install shadowsocks

Edit a new Shadowsocks JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) configuration file:

sudo vi /etc/shadowsocks.json

{
        "server":"your.vps.ip.address",
        "server_port":8388,
        "local_address":"127.0.0.1",
        "local_port":1080,
        "password":"YourPassword",
        "timeout":300,
        "method":"aes-256-cfb",
        "fast_open":false
    }

Now start the server with this configuration (-c option), running as a daemon (-d option):

sudo ssserver -c /etc/shadowsocks.json -d start

Next we set up the client. These instructions are for a Windows PC, but there are ports for other platforms, too.

Open Firefox and go to:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadowsocksgui/files/dist

Look for latest version of Shadowsocks-win for Windows 7, or Shadowsocks-win-dotnet4.0 for Windows 8.

Use Firefox to download and save the latest version. For example:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shadowsocksgui/files/dist/Shadowsocks-win-dotnet4.0-1.2.6.zip

Once downloaded, right-click the zip file and extract its contents.

Open the folder with the extracted contents in it. Double-click on the exe file. (Shadowsocks runs directly from the executable. It doesn't use the Windows installer).

Enter your server details, which must correspond to those you configured on your VPS. Click Add.

You can control Shadowsocks by finding its icon in the system tray and right-clicking to bring up a context menu.

Finally, send traffic from Firefox through the tunnel.

Open the Firefox menu and choose Options (or Preferences, in some versions of Firefox).

Go to the Advanced set of options.

Go to the Network tab.

Click the Settings button.

Select the radio button for Manual proxy configuration. The SOCKS host is 127.0.0.1, on Port 1080. Select SOCKS v5. Check Remote DNS.

Now Firefox will send web traffic to localhost port 1080, and Shadowsocks will tunnel that to your server on your chosen port (e.g. 8388 in this example).

Thanked by 3wlcy001 ehab nadz
  • Here is a good place to ask your questions about Shadowsocks

https://plus.google.com/communities/106442142549456855872

providing you either read Chinese or are willing to put up with Google Translate's weird English. For example, what is the real meaning of the Chinese word that Google Translate renders as "landlord"?

Thanked by 1wlcy001
  • what is the real meaning of the Chinese word that Google Translate renders as "landlord"?

Most likely "Owner" (業主, Y^ezh^u)

Thanked by 1bertan
  • Thanks. How about "bricklayer"? What does Google Translate mean when it puts "bricklayer"?

Examples:

Chinese:

本人可协助搭建VPS的ss,需要提供:目标服务器的IP,SSH端口/密码,目标服务器安装cent6.5(搬瓦工的最好),我将按照 +Anonymous V 的教程进行部署,一般20分钟可以搞定,安卓客户端能链接ss服务器就算完工,管杀不管埋,电脑端问题比较多,不负责解答。会自己设置ss安卓客户端的/信得过我的可以环聊。

Google Translate version:

I can help build the VPS ss, need to provide: the target server IP, SSH port / password, the target server installation cent6.5 (move bricklayer best), I will follow tutorials + Anonymous V deployment, generally 20 minutes get, Andrews Links ss server client can even be completed, regardless of the buried pipe to kill the computer end more problems, not responsible answer. Ss Andrews will set up their own client / trust I can hangout.

Chinese:

呃 俺也提供和楼主一样的服务,另外还可以代购搬瓦工vps,可以环聊或者Q我,Q号见我资料

Google Translate vesion:

Uh I also offer the same service and the landlord, in addition to purchasing the move can bricklayer vps, I can hangout or Q, Q No. see me information.

• @bertan said:
    Chinese:

Google Translate vesion:

Uh I also offer the same service and the landlord, in addition to purchasing the move can bricklayer vps, I can hangout or Q, Q No. see me information.

In case you're still wondering, "landlord" in this case means OP as he's referring to the original poster of the thread.

Thanked by 1bertan
  • Ah, that makes sense

• @bertan said:
    Thanks. How about "bricklayer"? What does Google Translate mean when it puts "bricklayer"?

Examples:

Chinese:

本人可协助搭建VPS的ss,需要提供:目标服务器的IP,SSH端口/密码,目标服务器安装cent6.5(搬瓦工的最好),我将按照 +Anonymous V 的教程进行部署,一般20分钟可以搞定,安卓客户端能链接ss服务器就算完工,管杀不管埋,电脑端问题比较多,不负责解答。会自己设置ss安卓客户端的/信得过我的可以环聊。

Google Translate version:

I can help build the VPS ss, need to provide: the target server IP, SSH port / password, the target server installation cent6.5 (move bricklayer best), I will follow tutorials + Anonymous V deployment, generally 20 minutes get, Andrews Links ss server client can even be completed, regardless of the buried pipe to kill the computer end more problems, not responsible answer. Ss Andrews will set up their own client / trust I can hangout.

Chinese:

Google Translate vesion:

Landlord, originally means “房东”, who offers a house for rent.
    Chinese often call the whole post “楼”, so the original poster is “楼主”。主,owner.

Thanked by 1bertan
  • Ha, i guess my Mandarin is not as far off as i thought.

• @William said:
    Ha, i guess my Mandarin is not as far off as i thought.

JSYK, Mandarin is a spoken group of Chinese dialects; it does not refer to the written language (which is either referred to as Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese).

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited January 2015

@bertan said:
    (搬瓦工的最好) (move bricklayer best)

另外还可以代购搬瓦工vps

in addition to purchasing the move can bricklayer vps,

here the "搬瓦工" just means the famous https://bandwagonhost.com/
    some kind of transliteration, as the pronunciation of "bandwagon" in English is similar as the “搬瓦工” in Chinese...

transliteration is a very hard to understand part of a language. you can find correct answer via google translator -_-

Thanked by 1bertan
  • Heh heh ... I typed 搬瓦工 into Google, and even though my settings are English, the first result that comes up is Bandwagonhost!