Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to host a single PHP file (containing only a cURL call), what are my options?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to host a single PHP file (containing only a cURL call), what are my options?

I'm running a game server on my home computer.

Unfortunately, I'm on a dynamic IP, and most dynamic DNS solutions are either paid, or stick in ads (which would mangle the game packets being POSTed), so I did something else.

I got an account at 000webhost for free, and put in a single PHP file that just calls cURL() to my home PC (IP stored in a text file). Basically just something that forwards the game packets to me, and the response back to the player.

And I can just update the IP when it changes (which happens like once or twice a week). I just pass it off as server maintenance hours (or minutes actually, it's really fast).

It was all working well, until someone reported that AT&T users cannot connect to the game. It seems AT&T blocks 000webhost servers. So I tried ServersFree, but they were also blocked.

So now I'm willing to bite the bullet and fork out a few bucks for something not blocked. However, it seems most web hosting services are quite overkill for what I want. Charging $5 per month for a ton of services. All my PHP file basically contains is cURL() call.

And it seems they all want me to get a domain. So that's extra $. I don't really have all that cash to burn. I personally wouldn't mind to be hosted at something like:
http://someonesRandomSubdomain.someDomain.biz/someRandomFolder/~someonesTempFiles/gameRedirect.php

I was looking at BlueVM's Host 1 ($5 per year) but they've never had it in stock for like months now.

Any other options out there?

Comments

• BuyVM also has a $5/year shared hosting offer.

• ElChileElChile Member
    edited January 2015
  • bundatbundat Member
    edited January 2015

Anywhere really. So long as it is unblocked by AT&T.

I only get like 50 players, and the API is highly RESTful (meaning a lot of the game is clientside, and they send a packet only at login, and only once at the end of every level, not even logging out sends packets).

EDIT: That 1.5 euro one sounds great, thanks.

• Pyr02k1Pyr02k1 Member
    edited January 2015

Why not just get a VPS and host it there instead of on your own pc? At that point, you may as well, being that you're paying for the VPS and all.

Or just get a domain with a provider supporting api calls to modify the dns, then run an update script locally to do it. I know for the teamspeak server I'm on, they update the domains dns for it via api once every hour (though it could happen much more often then that).

• @Pyr02k1 said:
    Why not just get a VPS and host it there instead of on your own pc? At that point, you may as well, being that you're paying for the VPS and all.

Or just get a domain with a provider supporting api calls to modify the dns, then run an update script locally to do it. I know for the teamspeak server I'm on, they update the domains dns for it via api once every hour (though it could happen much more often then that).

Agreed about the VPS.

• zxbzxb Member
    edited January 2015
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

http://www.noip.com/ ?

There's not any way dynamic DNS could stick in ads

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bundatbundat Member
    edited January 2015

I read somewhere that they stick in ads though (for the free ones anyway), which is why I avoided them.
    I guess I'll look into it again.

• zxbzxb Member

Duckdns does not stick in any ads.

You are solving a problem that does not exist.

• Grab a small VPS.

• You could get a free domain?

Or ask someone you know well to host it for you...

There are a few cheap yearly VM's that would do what you need - LowEndSpirit, i83 etc.

• You could also get a free .tk domain and run it through cloudflare (don't activate the cloudflare for your server url though, it doesn't like any ports that don't have anything to do with webhosting). That's what i would do.

I also wouldn't know if 000webhost would be blocked if you run it through cloudflare, that would also be worth a try if you still want to do it with curl.

• I could be wrong, but it sounds like you really want something to proxy/tunnel to your local machine?.. https://ngrok.com/ seems like a good choice for that sort of thing.

• nocomnocom Member
    edited January 2015
  • Folks are complicating this too much. You need a dynamic DNS service. In addition to the free options above, some routers have free basic DDNS services as well. Might be worth a look.

Thanked by 2nocom salathe
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I can host your file with static IP on personal server. You will be given an URL. PM me if you want to take advantage of offer.

• your best bet is heroku / openshift. both of them are free and offer subdomains ( also supports custom domain if needed) with proper ssl as well

• M66BM66B Veteran

Running the game on a VPS will probably be cheaper than on your home PC, unless your electricity is very cheap.