Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you utilize a high-storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you utilize a high-storage VPS?

dccdcc Member, Host Rep

Hi,

I know many would use them for backups, but what else a high storage VPS can be used for?

So what would you do with 2 TB or even 5 TB of disk space?

Comments

• I would use to provide Free Webhosting which are my plans for my free hosting service.

Install VestaCP configure it and run and should do the job.

else other people use it for torrents or mp3 storage which are not really legal but some of torrents are legal and some providers allow it but set limit on network.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • I have a cheap CVPS box I use for torrents, but it only has 50GB space and it's in NJ so sucks for streaming, so when they're done I unpack the RARs, then download to a storage box in the EU where I can stream them from. Then I can free up some space on my seedbox and repeat.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • Backups are going to be #1. Local backups using Arq on my Macs which encrypt + upload via SFTP, does versioning, etc - so it adds up if you want 'time machine'-like functionality.

Besides that, hosting my personal owncloud + company owncloud (much cheaper than Dropbox in the long run).

Media Server running Plex. Have about 1TB (so far) in HD movies/TV series/music/etc. Went from a Storage VPS to a Kimsufi for this though, was scared about abusing CPU while transcoding things.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • Movies/Series. My collection peaked at ~20TB.

Thanked by 1dcc
  • @william hey can i have a download link :D

• @gihan said:
    william hey can i have a download link :D

Wrong forum.

• TriDoxiuM said: Wrong forum.

What's the right forum for that?

• @Devil said:

Hf maybe?

• I used them for backups and backups of backups.
    (you never know what you may need at times)

@mikeyur said:
    Media Server running Plex. Have about 1TB (so far) in HD movies/TV series/music/etc. Went from a Storage VPS to a Kimsufi for this though, was scared about abusing CPU while transcoding things.

This is a nice use. I never thought of doing that. So you can upload files and stream it using Plex on multiple devices??

• Plex sucks IMO, I just use mine as video storage with a webserver, and I stream directly from VLC.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    Plex sucks IMO, I just use mine as video storage with a webserver, and I stream directly from VLC.

Yes, being able to stream any format and codec to any device be it TV, phone, raspberry pi or PC optimised to work over the connection speed available does suck.

/s

Thanked by 2pbgben 0xdragon
  • trewq said: Yes, being able to stream any format and codec to any device be it TV, phone, raspberry pi or PC optimised to work over the connection speed available does suck.

I just looked it up and it does seem to suck a little. Do you need a (free) Plex account? Is the server application closed source?

I just found out about minidlna, which seems to be really easy to set up. o.o must try

• @trewq said:
    /s

VLC works just as well, even on mobiles. Plus with Plex you need to either use VPN or sign up to myplex and share details of all the videos you have, unless they changed that.