Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hacked again & again Website keeps getting infected files added HELP! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hacked again & again Website keeps getting infected files added HELP!

13»

Comments

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited January 2015

I've rebuilt /tmp directory and just have a few sess_ files, eaccelerator folder & lost+found folder.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited January 2015

problem is when a server is compromised, you have no idea where they locate warez files or trojans, you'll keep facing the same issue. my suggestion would be to rebuild the server ground up

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I have all sites backed up. So I need to reinstall from solusvm? Re-install cPanel setup etc... Then how do I add all domains back?

• MunMun Member

@n1kko said:
    I have all sites backed up. So I need to reinstall from solusvm? Re-install cPanel setup etc... Then how do I add all domains back?

If you don't know, by a managed VPS, or hire someone.... but you will continue to be hacked as long as you have the server as it is. They could have even installed ssh_keys at this point and can fully login to your system with no issues.

• I signed up with platinumservermanagement.com earlier today, maybe they will do it.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2015

I get those php.exe.globals warnings all the time from maldet. They may be false positives as a lot of legitimate stuff uses that.

I don't know about your particular setup but I do have a lot of experience with hackers getting in through php vulnerabilities unfortunately. It's usually something quite simple so don't try overthink it.

You probably have some php software installed with a known vulnerability. The automated bots looking for that vulnerability probably keep finding you. Make sure all your php software is fully patched with the latest fixes. Make sure Apache has AllowOverride On so the .htaccess files can do their job.

The easiest way to find the hackers fingerprints is to first find out when the exploit happened and then do a search for datestamps to find all files that changed during that time. That is usually the first thing I do. You would think hackers would try change that once they got in but I guess they are too lazy or stupid to bother.

find /var/www/ -newermt 2014-12-15 ! -newermt 2014-12-16 -ls

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Mun said:
    There should be nothing in tmp. Make a backup of your data and delete and rebuild your server. It is compromised.

That's not correct. In a standard cpanel environment php will use /tmp to store files. Keep in mind that a standard cpanel environment uses suPHP and though files may be in there from multiple accounts, they may not be executable under any other account but the one that placed them there. Malicious temp files are not uncommon and not usually, in a typical cpanel environment, a sign of any problem that extends beyond a single user account.

The correct course of action would be to follow the file's ownership and then see how it was created by matching log times for cpanel and Apache. If it's owned by root, or executed with any super user privileges, then you have a bigger problem.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited January 2015

n1kko said: I have all sites backed up.

what I'm afraid of is, you may have backed up your friendly neighborhood hacker along with it......
    btw are you by any chance providing a hosting service?

• @n1kko The phishing page is deleted. @Jar ;)

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • If you don't really know what to do, you should hire someone rebuild and clean the code for you. I am sure that by now your server is running malicious things again.

• @khuongcomputer said:
    If you don't really know what to do, you should hire someone rebuild and clean the code for you. I am sure that by now your server is running malicious things again.

I personally have never believed in this philosophy of just re-installing every time there is a problem including hackers. Imho that is just being lazy and you will never learn anything by doing that. Should at least try find the root cause first.

Thanked by 1jar
  • edited January 2015

sman said: I personally have never believed in this philosophy of just re-installing every time there is a problem including hackers. Imho that is just being lazy and you will never learn anything by doing that. Should at least try find the root cause first.

You will find the root of the cause if you know what's happening. The OP don't even know what to do when getting hacked (keep changing FTP password) then how you could expect him to do that? Hire someone and they will inspect and report what happened and do what needed.

• @sman said:
    I personally have never believed in this philosophy of just re-installing every time there is a problem including hackers. Imho that is just being lazy and you will never learn anything by doing that. Should at least try find the root cause first.

Agreed but we are talking bout a production server, not one that's lying idle. Would you be able to guarantee a solution, within what time frame? I'm sure @n1kko must be having insomnia (I would) knowing the server is compromised. Mind you, the hacker may continue putting in more rubbish as you remove them.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

sman said: I personally have never believed in this philosophy of just re-installing every time there is a problem including hackers. Imho that is just being lazy and you will never learn anything by doing that. Should at least try find the root cause first.

Sure, first...and then you reinstall.

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • 100% sorted with the superb help and support from @anthonysmith

Thanked by 1jar

@n1kko said:
    100% sorted with the superb help and support from anthonysmith

He's good people!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • smansman Member
    edited January 2015

@Jar said:
    He's good people!

So what was the problem? You sure you are not going to be hacked again within a week?

• The issue was with one site not my cPanel. Some script was injected which kept adding more php files all over. RKhunter all came up clean so did clamscan. Few things now been updated on my server and I have also updated sites scripts.

• @n1kko said:
    The issue was with one site not my cPanel. Some script was injected which kept adding more php files all over. RKhunter all came up clean so did clamscan. Few things now been updated on my server and I have also updated sites scripts.

keep monitoring just in case

• @n1kko said:
    The issue was with one site not my cPanel. Some script was injected which kept adding more php files all over. RKhunter all came up clean so did clamscan. Few things now been updated on my server and I have also updated sites scripts.

Out of curiosity, what finally found the issue?

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited January 2015

I found the issue myself first after noticing website was acting strange. It was by pure fluke I found a file in public_html which made me look through more folders etc.

When the issue carried on that's what made me think cPanel had been hacked but I missed more dodgy files that had been uploaded.

edited January 2015

@n1kko said:
    I found the issue myself first after noticing website was acting strange. It was by pure fluke I found a file in public_html which made me look through more folders etc.

When the issue carried on that's what made me think cPanel had been hacked but I missed more dodgy files that had been uploaded.

Uploaded via ftp (/var/log/messages), file manager (/usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log), or POST to a vulnerable script (/usr/local/apache/domlogs)?

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited January 2015

The first file was actually uploaded from a file uploader on the website. Which I have since removed, the site is running a fairly old script which I will be changing very soon.

Thanked by 1jar
  • smansman Member
    edited January 2015

I hate php for this very reason. All the files are directly accessible by the webserver by default which seems rather dumb by todays security standards. If I could I would run everything on python where nothing is directly accessible but it's often not an option for various reasons.

At a minimum a lot of php software should be re-written to use smarty templates but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

• @sman said:
    I hate php for this very reason. All the files are directly accessible by the webserver by default which seems rather dumb by todays security standards. If I could I would run everything on python where nothing is directly accessible but it's often not an option for various reasons.

At some point something has to be available to the web server, but one can separate it from the PHP processor using something like FastCGI that runs under a different user with separate privileges. Though ultimately when you're building a dynamic site, especially one that allows for uploads or receipt of data from an end user, you really have to code it properly to sanitize what's allowed.

At a minimum a lot of php software should be re-written to use smarty templates but that doesn't seem to be happening either.

I'm not sure that using a specific template system is going to resolve underlying security issues; however, if you're addressing a more broad issue of separating programming logic from display rendering, absolutely. That results in not only cleaner code, but also a web site that's easier to keep up to date.

The problem is PHP is so forgiving. It's the easiest language I've ever used. This means everyone and their cousin is a programmer for the web; that's the biggest problem for PHP security. (It's like everyone using WordPress, which is easy, but they install untrusted themes or out-of-date plugins and then have a compromised site.)

• smansman Member
    edited January 2015

@JustAMacUser said:
    The problem is PHP is so forgiving. It's the easiest language I've ever used. This means everyone and their cousin is a programmer for the web; that's the biggest problem for PHP security. (It's like everyone using WordPress, which is easy, but they install untrusted themes or out-of-date plugins and then have a compromised site.)

If you understood how a lot of these exploits are done you would understand that removing the scripting language from direct access removes a LOT of potential exploits. I am not claiming to know about this because I am an expert or because I am a hacker. I am claiming to know all this after having been the victim of numerous hacks from these scumbags.

• Show them a finger