Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auto-generated passwords for WHMCS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Auto-generated passwords for WHMCS

Comments

• fail2ban kick you as a mule :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@KuJoe
    Cant win them all.

• LESLES Member

Own sequence (special chars can also be included):

$rdmpw = substr(str_shuffle('abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'), 0, 12);
    echo $rdmpw;

Thanked by 1rds100
  • i see some including fail2ban in the template

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@acarrascope said: i see some including fail2ban in the template

I knew some companies who did that and I dropped them pretty quickly. Most clients praise us for our minimal templates and I feel the same way, the less "bloat" the better the VPS.

• @KuJoe: Working great. Thank you!

• @KuJoe i dont know if the concept is right but the "commonwealth" is the rule. Noboby wants Damian situation anymore-

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2012

@vahe said: I tend to use a simple and easy to remember password when signing up, then change it from solusvm.

This!
    I always sign up with SAME default password which I have no attempt to use once I get VPS. Sharing with every WHMCS order real usable password... no thanks.
    More than fu***ing up with my passwords I would appreciate if host would give me vps without default ports - so far only 2 or 3 hosts did that from all I got in last few years. I tend to reinstall every vps if isn't created instantly so that I can apply changes immediately. When host manually/delayed create vps it would be great if I would get it in shutdown state to make initial security changes after I boot it on.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TazTaz Member

@kujoe->;Awesome task. Thank you.

• -could- do the same thing Volumedrive does and just give one stupidly long pw, that's universal for every VD vps (lol).

But yeah, KuJoe's idea seems good. OR if it just shuffles the already given password, or adds something onto it, such as...

"$clientchosenpw = "toor"
    "$newpw = $clientchosenpw + $randstr = substr(str_shuffle('abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789'), 0, 6);"

Also seems possible. Could also audit each chosen root password on sign up, and reject the submission if it doesnt meet password strength rules. That's one way. Just auditing every persons new machine is hard, maybe make all templates have "fail2ban" installed or something, might prevent most brute force attacks, aslong as their password isnt at the top of a list. :P

• It is good idea to generate the password for the user, but then you have to send the password to the user in the VPS details email, and this will make some people go nuclear on you.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

@KuJoe said: Assuming the hacker had physical access to our server, at 1 million checks per second it would still take about 116 years to crack the password

Huh? Its actually 13 days assuming 1 million hashes/second[Math] (keeping in mind that most password crackers are like 500 times faster)

• just to be pedantic, str_shuffle is excluding all passwords with any doubled chars, so technically restricting the searchspace unneccessarily. But brevity may be more important than a few magnitudes :)

• vahevahe Member

@Damian said: If they change their password, the process is given a 'pass', since I can't check it further. WHMCS and Solus only store the one given on sign-up; neither store the 'current' password.

Can you see if the user has changed the password? How do you determine the 'pass'?

@MannDude said: I always had issues with SolusVM when ordering VPSes because my passwords were TOO secure. I'd never be able to login because of the special characters or the length of the password, and sadly it took a couple providers before it was explained to me that the reason I couldn't access the SolusVM panel or SSH into my machine was because of the password.

This happened to me, I realized it was the password that was the issue though. I think it's not the length, rather, the special characters in the password that's causing problems.

On another note, I don't like the fact that WHMCS emails me the password. Its just another opportunity for it to get stolen.

• @vahe said: Can you see if the user has changed the password? How do you determine the 'pass'?

As the scope is to determine if the root password is still the same as it was when they signed up, that's actually the point of this check: "does the password work?", which gives two outcomes:

No, the password does not work = the user has changed the VPS's root password away from the password they gave at sign-up, give them a 'pass'

Yes, the password does = the user has not changed the VPS's root password away from the password they gave at sign-up, continue with the check

• vahevahe Member
    edited August 2012

@Damian, I see...

Also, why the hell would WHMCS store the password in plain text?! If the company's db gets stolen, all the VPSes would be compromised.

@acarrascope said: pt is right but the "commonwealth" is the rule.

I'm not sure what you mean.

edited August 2012

@rds100 said: It is good idea to generate the password for the user, but then you have to send the password to the user in the VPS details email, and this will make some people go nuclear on you.

The alternative is not telling them their password and making them guess it. ;)

@gsrdgrdghd said: Huh? Its actually 13 days assuming 1 million hashes/second

Where did you get the 16 from? Math

You were making the assumption that the hacker has my code and knows the limitations. Had I not posted it here they wouldn't know what to use (and most automated bots still won't know). ;) That being said, if somebody was standing in front of my cabinet for 13 days I'd notice. :P

@gsrdgrdghd said: (keeping in mind that most password crackers are like 500 times faster)

500 times faster? What kind of laptop could do that?

• @KuJoe said: Where did you get the 16 from?

From your hexadecimal passwords :D The hacker now knows this limitation :)

@KuJoe said: 500 times faster? What kind of laptop could do that?

Sorry i was wrong, for MD5s its actually 5,000 times and for SHA1 2,300 times [Source]

@gsrdgrdghd said: Sorry i was wrong, for MD5s its actually 5,000 times and for SHA1 2,300 times

That doesn't look like bruteforcing though, it looks like cracking a known hash. I just realized even at 999 trillion attempts per second it won't do anything because even with physical access to my cabinet they will need to crack the root password just to start cracking the VPS password and if they have the root password then they have access to the VPS anyways. ;)

• @KuJoe said: That doesn't look like bruteforcing though, it looks like cracking a known hash

cracking a hash == bruteforcing (in this case)

Also if anyone had physical access to your servers, they could just mount the VPS partitions or change your root password anyway.

• That's the prob with whmcs. Plain text during signups for admins to see.

@cosmicgate said: That's the prob with whmcs. Plain text during signups for admins to see.

Anybody not using a temporary password for sign-ups is asking for trouble and not practicing best security anyways. ;)

Thanked by 1u4ia

@gsrdgrdghd said: Also if anyone had physical access to your servers, they could just mount the VPS partitions or change your root password anyway.

Exactly. So the level of security in my script is not an issue because the effort to crack it would be the same effort to steal my hard drives. :)

• u4iau4ia Member

@KuJoe said: Anybody not using a temporary password for sign-ups is asking for trouble and not practicing best security anyways. ;)

This. I always use the same password for signup, then change it via SSH with passwd, because I don't trust Solus for changing a password either :)

• PatsPats Member
    edited August 2012

@Pats said: in the OS templates there should be strong linux password enforcement check built-in , so it'll take care to much extent if user changes root password inside VPS...

further to what i had said...
    read s'where long time back, copy-pasting from my notes for your consumption..
    Modify /etc/pam.d/system-auth file.

Replace this line.

password requisite pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3

With this.

password requisite pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=8 lcredit=1 ucredit=1 dcredit=1 ocredit=0

Above line will make sure that:

• minimum length of password will be 8.
    • must contain atleast one lowercase character.
    • must contain atleast one uppercase character.
    • must contain atleast one decimal character.
    • must contain atleast one special(other) character.
    • prompt (incase previous is failed) will not be more than 3 times.

The four parameters "lcredit", "ucredit", "dcredit", and "ocredit" are used to set the maximum credit for lower-case, upper-case, numeric (digit), and non-alphanumeric (other) characters respectively.
    Now try to login into machine with root and try to change the password.
    The password matching above criteria will only be accepted otherwise you will receive following error.
    passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

i have read that its easy to re-create template in SolusVM, so this solution would be good along with @Kujoe 's WHMCS random pass hack.

• @Pats decent idea, but could be changed by the user. I think the WHMCS forceful password strength is much more appropriate, but adding this sort of internally, could work. How would it work however if the password did not match that rule on a OVZ installation? Would the password be rejected and forced to remake it in SolusVM?

• @Pats said: Above line will make sure that:

• minimum length of password will be 8.
    • must contain atleast one lowercase character.
    • must contain atleast one uppercase character.
    • must contain atleast one decimal character.
    • must contain atleast one special(other) character.
    • prompt (incase previous is failed) will not be more than 3 times.

Damn.. I really hate this! :) When system try to enforce me what kind of password to use. Just because someone don't use some variable it doesn't mean that have less safe passwords. Making things harder to remember is not automaticly less safe.

• @Spirit said: Making things harder to remember is not automaticly less safe.

Mmm hmm, and this comic describes it perfectly:

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • vldvld Member

@Damian said: Mmm hmm, and this comic describes it perfectly:

I couldn't explain better why that method is not ideal than troy does here