Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISP Blocks SSH (port 22), workarounds? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISP Blocks SSH (port 22), workarounds?

2»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2015

0xdragon said: Like for instance in my ISP, Internode, where they block incoming SSH, FTP and other services by default to protect the customer.

Which customer? I think that is mostly done so you cannot run servers at home because that would create upload and they wont be able to resell that traffic at their DC. You should buy a server if you wish to serve content, your home connection should not be "abused", like, for instance, trying to login remotely into your computer at home. That is easily circumvented by changing ports, but it is a matter of principle, if you buy a connection you should be told it is only a demo version with many limitations.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @aFriend said:
    TobyG I once observed that port 22 was blocked in a Verizon router. In that case, the blocking was on the verizon dsl router at home rather than at the ISP. Logging in to the router and changing some settings unblocked port 22. ( search for your ISP / router mfg and look for ssh blocking) The final answer on this thread might be what I did.. but its too long to remember the exact steps. I do remember it was a router config to unblock 22

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Outbound-SSH-connection-seemingly-blocked/td-p/418745

I don't know how to thank you. I guess pretty much everyone here was right in suspecting that an ISP wouldn't block SSH traffic, silly me. Also, when I tried on a different network, it was a direct connection (no router involved), and hence it worked.

I just tinkered with my NetGear router settings to setup port 22 forwarding, and it now works like a charm. I closed the ISP ticket myself with a small note.

Huge thanks to aFriend and the rest of the folks for all your help.
    You rock.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If your ISP provided the router with that default setting, they are still at fault.

• Unless the router had extremely strict outbound filtering, forwarding port 22 on it would only have allowed packets into your network, not out. Whatever works.