Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsu won't validate me - first time ever! Other companies I should look at? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsu won't validate me - first time ever! Other companies I should look at?

2»

Comments

• @myhken said:
    alexvolk aa, thats it's another story. Will wait for validation then. Do you have the link to your guide?

Here we go: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/588867/#Comment_588867
    Guide will work even for kvm vps.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • The cheapest normal server I've ever seen in U.S. is $27 i3+1T-HDD from slicebox after a big discount.

The cheapest storage server I've ever seen is €31~ from hetzner.

The cheapest normal server I've ever seen is the €15 from kimsufi.

Of course I have excluded atom & VIA. So if you can't stay with kimsufi then it'll be much more expensive.

• sumosumo Member
    edited January 2015

@myhken said:
    So I'm looking for a company with cheap dedicated server I can install Windows on. If there is any out there.

I've used Reprise Hosting before @ $27/month - they're running a similar special now. Not sure if the base specs will support Windows nor if you're allowed to install with your own key. But, @BrianHarrison can probably answer that for you and maybe work something out based on your needs. He seems reasonable. From the tech support side, I've dealt mostly with Jeff Michaels, but had someone else, who I forgot his name nor did I like him as much, for the last ticket. From my understanding, Reprise colocates out of the Westin Building in Seattle.

Regarding Online.net resellers, I've heard of One Provider, though I've never used them nor have I considered using them. There are also some LET members who purchased a Dedibox Limited 4814 and are outsourcing (essentially reselling) for $25/month or so. I believe @Sady had one available a little bit ago, there are probably others as well. Again, unsure if the specs will satisfy your needs.

I've seen some Kimsufi and Soyoustart resellers here and there, but never paid much attention to them, so I don't remember thair names.

Finally, there's Hetzner's Dutch auction, which may be able to provide you with a server that meets your needs for €20+.

Edit: There's also Delimiter, but I've never used them before. They have a long running offer for something that may work out for you for $60/quarter. They had a holiday special for some included services, but unsure if they're still available. You can try MarkTurner.

Edit: If you're willing to risk a company that hasn't received the confidence of many LET members, you can try Uni Web. Here's my assessment if you're interested. Just to be clear, I'm not recommending Uni Web nor any of the above mentioned hosts, just sharing what I know.

Thanked by 2BrianHarrison myhken
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the mention @sumo -- we are running a competitive special at the moment. Our $27 server is a L5520 machine (4 core, 8 threads) with 2GB RAM standard. We do have a number of customers running Windows on such a low amount of RAM, but it's not ideal. Additional RAM is available at +$3.50/mo per 2GB extra. It's important to note though that we do not provide Windows licenses. While we are happy to complete the initial installation, customers are expected to provide their own Windows license.

We have several cabinets in the Westin Building (Seattle, WA) and a smaller amount of gear in Las Vegas, NV.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    online.net doesn't accept paypal though. Bummer.

That's strange, maybe they made an exception for me.

• @Maounique i think if you are an old customer and had paypal before you can still use it. But for new customers it is not available.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not an old customer, well, if you do not consider november 2014 as old.

• @Maounique that's strange then. Other people don't get to use paypal.

• Today my account got validated. And I don't need to pay VAT. :D
    And luckily I was, I got a KS-3 only a couple of hours after my account was validated.
    Then I used lots of time trying to follow @alexvolk guide to how to install Windows Server on a Kimsu server, but I had to do something wrong, for I never got it to work. Never got to zip the file on the Windows Server I had created on Vultr, using Ubuntu 14 CD to run the commands.

But then I found this blog, and there it was a really simple solution to my issue. Just download a file from the blog, then reboot the server, then I had Windows Server 2012 R2 running.

He has 2008 R2, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 images also. So simple, took around 12-14 minutes to download, then a reboot, then RDC into my server.

Scanned my server with malwarebytes, bitdefender and superantispyware and can't find any issues. Also checked the firewall for unwanted entries, but none. And of course, I changed my admin password from the standard.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@myhken said:
    But then I found this blog, and there it was a really simple solution to my issue. Just download a file from the blog, then reboot the server, then I had Windows Server 2012 R2 running.

He has 2008 R2, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 images also. So simple, took around 12-14 minutes to download, then a reboot, then RDC into my server.

It's been discussed here on LET not long ago. Search the forum and you will find the thread about it.
    Still puzzled that the isos are still available, considering they are breaking the MS Terms/License.