Domain query - have I dropped a bollock?
So after a heavy period of procrastination, I finally get my finger out and initiate a transfer from Namecheap to Namesilo for a domain that's expiring this week. I assumed that it'd all go swimmingly and be sorted in a matter of hours, I've done all the confirmation clicking on both sides etc and it's literally just a case of the domain being moved now.
My problem is that the the domain expires on 8 January, but according to Namesilo, if Namecheap don't confirm the transfer (something they've shown no evidence of doing) it will automatically move on 10 January. Given the grace period you usually get when a domain expires, will my domain get moved to Namesilo on the 10th, or will the fact it expires on the 8th nullify the transfer altogether?
Any advice gratefully received.
Some registrars let you force the confirmation so the transfer can go ahead without waiting. Check if Namecheap does and if not contact their support to ask given the special circumstances, it's in their hands and they can do it.
Grace periods are compulsory so it shouldn't be a problem.
Speeding up the transfer used to be possible on namecheap but recently I've read otherwise:
You can try speeding it up and let us know how it works out. Add to the hive mind with your latest experience!
I was in similar situation earlier, when I was transferring couple of domains to godaddy. The transfer happened exactly on the day of expiry. I was fretting till then. Oh, I got confirmation a day later. In my case other registrar was UK2. I am not sure how namecheap would work.
My take is, transfer should happen smoothly and you might have to wait till 8th Jan.
Namecheap will send you an email after the domain registrant confirms that the domain transfer is approved. In the email it choose I approve and hit submit and the transfer will be done in about half an hour or so.
Glad I've read this. I have a domain expiring with GoDaddy on the 20th this month but it is locked until the 12th. Am I doing to have to renew with GoDaddy and then transfer away?
8 days is more than enough to move any domain over without renewal...just curious why it is locked till 12th? If you transfer a year of registration should be added in automatically.
Changed the registrant address.
Cheers, will give it a try.
I did that yesterday, heard nothing unfortunately.
@Kcaj Contact Godaddy they will manually unlock it if you request it through their support. I had a domain that I wanted to transfer but the lock was on until the day after expiration and they removed it for me within a few hours of my request. There is a special email address that support will give you to request an unlock.
@Nekki - I misread the title, thought you had just come of age.
[email protected] - Tried it, no response. It's only a couple of days now. I've renewed via GoDaddy to be on the safe side but will be transferring on the 12th anyway.
@Nekki Just check with Namecheap live support, they'll normally be able to sort things out immediately. Available 24/7
I have just read in their FAQS that they cannot speed up the transfer process and it will take 5 days.
Any idea how long the grace period on expiring .net domains is? I'm thinking I might just let it expire, then if the transfer doesn't go through in good time, re-register with namecheap and move to namesilo.
their live support can do wonders, check with 'em
tell 'em all about it and I'm quite sure they'll solve it immediately.
This is risky, if you care about the domain. Either a registrar or an enterprising individual may register it in order to (try to) sell it back to you at a later date...
I thought only I could re-register in the grace period?
I'm on the line with Namecheap, after a wait of about 15 minutes they offered me a 1-time coupon to renew with whois protection for $0.99. Still pushing for release.
Take the renewal promotion and continue with your transfer. When a domain is transferred to a new registrar the registration time should be extended by a year.
good offer, though.....:D
They've sent something that I've already completed once before and said it will take 2 hours, so lets see what happens.
I did try a cheeky use of that coupon on another expiring domain, but no joy :-/
Think it should be okay. They have so far not promised anything that can't be done.
You are probably not the only one that tried using on a different domain , tricks of the trade......
If you've initiated the transfer before the expiry date, the domain will renew during the transfer process. I've done this several times.
so far, namecheap transfers will be within 30 min after you approve the transfer via their confirmation mail. If you took their 0.99 offer and then move it immediately to namesilo ( provided they dont lock transfer like godaddy when you use a coupon) you wont get 1 year extension. If namesilo offers to refund you, you can try the cheap renewal offer from namecheap..
I actually love namecheap mainly because of their live chat that is so helpful and gets my issues solved immediately I transferred to them from godaddy(godaddy the high price monarch lol)....anyway to make a long story short I was going to have to pay $35 or $40 to renew my domains with godaddy and moved them to namecheap and only pay $15 per year to renew them at namecheap and that is 2 domains at that and there .us domains if anyone asks.
In my experience transfer away from Godaddy takes only 15 minutes. You even can transfer when domain is in grace period.
I had the same situation before. I contacted NameCheap LiveChat and she was able to help.
Well, still no movement on the domain :-/
The domain isn't epically important, so going to wait this one out and see what happens on the 10th. Somewhat disappointed in NameCheap's support (although the attempt to keep the domain with the coupon was a nice touch) getting me to redo something I'd already done was a bit silly, and suggests they have difficulty dealing with non-standard issue. I've got a bunch of other domains expiring that I think I'll move elsewhere as a result.
Sorry to hear that, speechless at this point
@Nekki namecheaps support doesn't seem to be what it used to be.
Just to top and tail this, the domain expired on January 8, Namesilo picked up the registration on January 11, so all good.
Namecheap did nothing to speed up the transfer despite saying they would, so I'm moving my domains elsewhere now.
Namecheap really is going downhill; After my recent experiences with them I have started moving away too.
Glad the domain was picked up and its sorted!