Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the biggest mistake you've made on a server?

Comments

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited August 2014

Hosting offshore. As there was to much abuse. Scams etc.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2014

...was to join LET... and getting Addicted to this Awesome Community !!!

• rm -rf /var/lib/pacman/*

I meant to remove /var/cache/pacman/*, the package manager didn't survive :(

• rm -rf /
    I did it long back when I was an amatuer. It was when I was typing fast and hit enter accidentally.

• ucxoucxo Member
    parallel-ssh -v -l root -h .hosts/all "echo 'ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDBIYFk5efpgp3I1b09BsVRiLbSZpj7r/vuG8n8DtBM9S2eLo7IUjprV5mRRdpG8lHcEjgAOfUWgP5TBu26v6ARXdKSSCNrGsy9eqkazUvlsvkY69We8xF27LiZ1sm8F1XQwWeLZEmTFmt17GShzmuSBqeRMr9W3iqlUA52P9oaXKA6W/quiAAwEPeIW8LMiep+s/juzvLg5Uvvcs0XIas/CpLDSjI/YONPz1fE6LBLtaUQ1n6+gKT1Rb3jpfAl8DDmOkgtNB1OjEdN5rCU1qsopOIjRLKgpYtZaImz5+nVTqkhVTHJgHVPIYHchqFVrwAM5FtAeM0ICoUEWjA4EHqL ucxo@sigma' > .ssh/authorized_keys"

One missing character ⇒ one hour of getting sigma's private key, SSH-ing into every box manually and restoring the authorized_keys from their local backups (or remote backups on other affected servers, in two cases). Finished just in time for the next backup cronjob (which would otherwise have made a huge fuss about not being able to log into any of the servers it's supposed to backup…).

• ucxoucxo Member

Another good one that happened to a friend of mine: sudo chmod 777 -R /usr/bin
    Good luck trying to fix that when sudo isn't setuid root anymore. :)
    (I suggested fixing the permissions with a live CD, but he ended up just reinstalling the whole thing.)

• I dropped my server in the toilet :(

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited August 2014

@0xdragon said:
    I dropped my server in the toilet :(

Was the server that small or the toilet that large?

Anyway, Confuzius say: Man dropped server in toilet. Now in deep shit.

Thanked by 30xdragon hostnoob tux
  • dnwkdnwk Member

dd /dev/sda

• cd /usr

cd /hmoe/test/

rm -rf *

the worst ever

• Rushing though some things and not verifying that the KVM is hooked up to the correct server and reinstalling the wrong server.

Roughly $1300 in losses due to several months free compensation later. I now make sure and make sure that anyone working for me or along side me preforms multiple checks to verify that the KVM is in fact connected to the correct server before doing ANYTHING.

• forgot to lock the server room..

• An ACCIDENTAL rm -rf /*

I meant to type rm -rf *, but my finger thought I wanted to destroy the whole system :(

• D4X69 said: Failed to find discussion for commenting.

Tried editing my comment, got that^

Anyway, a similar silly was typing chown -R / rather than the dir I meant to. :x

• At deskop in the past:
    Removing Gnome while XFCE is the DE.

At a VPS:
    I was busy with C++ on my VPS.
    I attempt to tar.gz /usr/include to backup it, because I peeked a lot in the header files with nano.

But some parameters were wrong so that [i]each[/i] file in /usr/include got in a seperate .tar.gz. Oops.

• After one week copying customer'data from external hard disks to a dedicated server, I ran a script mistakenly that deleted the whole data on the dedicated server.

• errr..reinstalled wrong server without have any backup

• no mistake so far in 2 years! -> if you exclude fucking up the network adapter resulting in the server being unreachable remotely.

• MunMun Member

@Mark_R said:
    no mistake so far in 2 years! -> if you exclude fucking up the network adapter resulting in the server being unreachable remotely.

That isn't a mistake, that is a bug. /etc/init.d/networking restart?

• @serverian said:

Haha.

• Installed Windows.

• Bought so many I forgot the details for half of them :(

• @serverian said:

Someone posted those on my FB wall.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited August 2014

LOL... Reminds me of Real Programmers Don't Eat Quiche

• shutdown -h now instead of -r and waiting to get back on ssh like a retard.

• Am I the only one with different hostname colours in SSH for different servers!?

• The biggest mistake I made was ever installing cPanel anywhere. Seriously, screw cPanel. Ours is down again, I'm transferring all the sites out to nginx as I write this post, cPanel can go burn in the hell it created for itself. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing the kernel screaming "CPSRVD NOT TAINTED, KILL EEET"

• @joshin said:
    Did I mention how he's freaking out?

He, trying to help, unplugged his computer from his UPS and then plugged it into the 'new' UPS. My jaw dropped.

Oops.

On the plus side, he gave me $20 to not tell anyone. :D

Oh my ! this one is hardcore !

• my worst... haem... on a dedicated server with critical network activity :
    ifconfig eth0 down
    (i messed up my piping with other commands and forgot i was still ssh'd with multiple windows...)