Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dnsperf.com Beta Feedback - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dnsperf.com Beta Feedback

2»

Comments

• Got a documentation page for that? What are their NS servers and what is the pricing?

• jimaek said: Got a documentation page for that? What are their NS servers and what is the pricing?

I'll PM you shortly with the data, sounds good?

• Sure, thanks

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@jimaek - good job, two questions:

• do you query DNS servers directly or via public DNS?

• do you have list of your VMs available (IP or /24)?

The reason for first question is that direct query (as testing approach) makes sense in case of public DNS services (when end client talks directly with public DNS server) but it's not the best idea in case of auth. DNS services as always there will be public DNS in the middle.

Thanked by 1aglodek
    1. I query the servers directly
    2. I do but for security reasons I wont be publishing it on the website. I can pm you.

You may be right but I didn't want for anything to interfere to get the raw real performance of DNS providers. The best and the worst provider have a big gap between them which I think says a lot even if its not a real world scenario.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

jimaek said: I do but for security reasons I wont be publishing it on the website. I can pm you.

Please do

• Added a few more locations and pushed the site live. I deleted the testing data so everything you see right now comes from the testing nodes http://www.dnsperf.com/

For now all data is for 1 month because I dont have anything older but later I will think how to add some date browsing.

Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited February 2015

jimaek said: Check it out and let me know if you have any feedback.

Why no keycdn?

Would be cool to see traceroutes (you can delete first 3-5 hopes to hide the networks where test nodes located) as an addon to ping.

• KeyCDN doesnt offer DNS hosting services

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Really cool, I'd like to do the same to monitor my own DNS servers. Please let me know if you ever put this on Github

• FuslFusl Member
    edited February 2015

First of all: This project looks really great. Could've been one of my ideas tbh :)

One DNS provider which I am missing: DNSEver

An idea I have: Put all DNS Providers on a graph like this: http://www.dnsperf.com/provider/Afraid to see if their performance did increase or decrease the past days/weeks/months/...

• The graph would be chaotic, there are too many providers which would make the chart useless.

• @jimaek:

• dns4.pro
    • dollardns.net
    • edgedirector.com
    • geoscaling.com
    • gslb.me
    • namesilo.com
    • powerdns.net
    • dns4.pro - added
    • dollardns.net - dont see the point adding this
    • edgedirector.com - added
    • geoscaling.com - they are closing down
    • gslb.me - Is this a serious service? The design is so bad it almost seems fake
    • namesilo.com - Technically all registrars offer DNS hosting but if I start adding all of them the site will become useless. I will skip this one.
    • powerdns.net - added
  • @jimaek, your prerogative; choose the ones that suit your needs. I am just offering some candidates. This is LowEndTalk after all.

Good luck with your offering.

• How about Linode's DNS?

• Sounds good. Do you know if its free or not?

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • nice job!

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited February 2015

@jimaek said:
    Sounds good. Do you know if its free or not?

Pretty sure, but I don't know if it's for paying customers only, but you could try make an account and login to the panel. I'm pretty sure it's free for everyone.