Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Random thoughts -- Become a domain registry?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Random thoughts -- Become a domain registry?

Just thinking, how to become a domain registry instead of having those messy company out there around and still keeping things messed up.

Any thoughts or references on becoming one?

Comments

• From memory: It's relatively hard to become one as you need a big enough domain portfolio to apply for one.

• 0xdragon said: domain portfolio

Uhm, noob here dunno what's a "domain portfolio"?

• @0xdragon said:
    From memory: It's relatively hard to become one as you need a big enough domain portfolio to apply for one.

That is in case if you want to become ICANN Accredited registrar.

He can become domain reseller with less resources.

• @lifehome said:
    Uhm, noob here dunno what's a "domain portfolio"?

I mean you have to have a number of domains (clients or your own).

• @TheKiller said:
    He can become domain reseller with less resources.

Just thinking where could I get the cost price as a reseller? Do I need a "very good domain portfolio"?

• Offer to agree to have, and demonstrate an ability to obtain, commercial general liability insurance in effect during the accreditation period in an amount sufficient, given the registration volume reasonably projected by applicant, to provide domain-name holders reasonable compensation for losses caused by the applicant's wrongful covered acts. A policy limit in the amount of US$500,000 or more will be deemed sufficient, although a lesser limit will be accepted upon a showing that it provides for reasonable compensation in the circumstances. A certificate of insurance need not accompany the application, but must be presented as a condition of accreditation becoming effective.

• It's a bit off topic, but I always asked myself if the domain registrars have to pay fees for creating/transfer/extend domains to some kind of organization or if they ask the customer for money because of the work they have with managing the domains?

• lifehome said: Just thinking where could I get the cost price as a reseller? Do I need a "very good domain portfolio"?

You can search Tucows, Enom or resellerclub.com for domain prices and information about reselling programs.

• maybe this site will help http://www.logicboxes.com

• Well in case of .eu tld you just have to pay 5k euro to eurid and you become accredited registrar. Here is more info. http://www.eurid.eu/en/registrars/become-eu-registrar

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2015

trexos said: It's a bit off topic, but I always asked myself if the domain registrars have to pay fees for creating/transfer/extend domains to some kind of organization

Yeah, they do. There's a small fee to ICANN, the nonprofit organization that oversees the whole domain name system, and then a larger fee to the registry (not the same as registrar) organization that operates the specific TLD under ICANN contract.

So for .com you have the universal ICANN fee of $.18 and a .com-specific Verisign registry fee of $7.85, for a base cost of $8.03 (doesn't matter if it's a new registration or a renewal).

Take into consideration the overhead and labor costs registrars have to deal with (payment processing fees, rent, staff, etc.) and you see why most registrars charge a few dollars more than that.

Thanked by 1trexos
  • wonder if owning a few hundred domains , this might be beneficial in any way .. anyone wanna explore a joint venture ?

thanx all

• GiulioGiulio Member
    edited January 2015

This is the fees system for .it registrar, quoted from http://nic.it

The Registry charges a Registrar 4 euro (plus VAT) for each of the following operations on .it domains:

Registration

Change of Registrar

Recovery from Redemption-period status

The cost of yearly renewal is 3.30 euros.

The cost that is charged corresponds to the annual maintenance fee of the domain.

The synchronous system requires the Registrar to prepay the Registry 4,000 euros (for new Registrars).