Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petitioning The European Commission
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Petitioning The European Commission

PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION to call for THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION to unilaterally suspend the introduction of the new EU VAT laws for micro businesses and sole-traders, which if allowed to come into force will unfairly disadvantage the EU’s smallest businesses.

Sign The Petition

More info on euvataction.org

Thanked by 1default

Comments

• @solarman said:
    PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION to call for THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION to unilaterally suspend the introduction of the new EU VAT laws for micro businesses and sole-traders, which if allowed to come into force will unfairly disadvantage the EU’s smallest businesses.

Sign The Petition

More info on euvataction.org

It is already in force from today...

Will sign though.

• Its already in force, but I have already signed it.

• Its a little late to be doing it after it becomes law. I expect the knock on effect will be that some companies will start refusing European customers as the headache is just not worth it.

• The EU commission gives exactly zero fuck about all of us.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited January 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Its a little late to be doing it after it becomes law. I expect the knock on effect will be that some companies will start refusing European customers as the headache is just not worth it.

I don't agree... That is an entire 28 countries companies are going to start ruling out...

• Well lets see what happens, many operators don't declare their earnings properly anyway so it will be quite blatant now.

For some companies with razor margins, it won't be worth the headache to take the EU customers due to the added administration headache.

One company I was talking to the other day joked that they may add 100% to their prices for European customers, that was to cover the VAT liability and the time they wasted processing the VAT.

I think it will be a mess, but the EU will probably not back down. They want to increase tax revenues and don't care if a few people get hurt along the way.

• LeeLee Veteran

@rds100 said:
    The EU commission gives exactly zero fuck about all of us.

Personally I give zero fuck about the majority of hosts that are happy to take peoples money and account zero to anyone anyway when it comes to taxes.

• I see this hurting the start up and small operators badly. The headaches and accounting costs will be entering the area of diminishing returns quickly.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

@lazyt said:
    I see this hurting the start up and small operators badly. The headaches and accounting costs will be entering the area of diminishing returns quickly.

Depends, if you mean it will hurt startup or small operators that want to sell at $7 or less but nothing else then yes perhaps, but that is a market of choice to enter, not a requirement.

If it hurts the 1 server, kid in a bedroom host then that is only a good thing in my view. From a consumer point of view it may cost more but it will be so much easier to identify the crud. The consumer is more important than the provider of course.

• Coming soon:

1 EUR = 1 USD

• @W1V_Lee said:

You're in a low-end forum claiming that low-end services don't benefit the consumer. Nice.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

W1V_Lee said: If it hurts the 1 server, kid in a bedroom host

Plenty of those outside the EU though. I mean they can try to collect it from US businesses like mine but I'm just going to laugh and tell them to contact their own citizens as I'm not registered as a business there nor will I ever disclose to anyone where my clients live.

(I don't know much about how they intend to enforce it or if they would even be interested in me, but I still would enjoy a good laugh if they tried)

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2015

@Jar said:
    (I don't know much about how they intend to enforce it or if they would even be interested in me, but I still would enjoy a good laugh if they tried)

Mate, same situation as you. Personally until it becomes a problem, it isn't one. If a tax office wants to come along and complain about $6.. There are bigger problems in this world.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2015

@deadbeef said:
    claiming that low-end services don't benefit the consumer. Nice.

Show me where I said that?

• LeeLee Veteran

Jar said: I don't know much about how they intend to enforce it or if they would even be interested in me

You are right, I really don't know how they would do it. So I would take the same view in your position.

However if it starts to hurt the EU provider trying their best to meet the rules then don't be surprised that the EU responds by coming up with some way to block or enforce those providers such as ramnode, linode, DO and others who have equipment within the EU.

To ensure that no person or business domiciled outside the EU has an unfair advantage over the provision of services within the EU will become a key focus. If nothing else it will be forced on the EU by business here.

I would not be surprised if it becomes a requirement of the DC to check you have a VAT ID before you will be allowed use of it.

But that kind of thing is way over the highest hill.

Thanked by 1jar
  • RLTRLT Member

Let's see now 28 countries. 28 different VATs to be kept under 28 different accounts.

Sounds simple doesn't it? Just the accounting and keeping up with the tax changes could drive an accounting team nuts.

Now toss in the EUs desperation to not let this flop. Things could get very interesting.

• Fake account data for all american hosts, here I come.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @tr1cky said:
    Fake account data for all american hosts, here I come.

Won't that activate MaxMind and get orders marked as fraud?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited January 2015

@linuxthefish said:
    Won't that activate MaxMind and get orders marked as fraud?

Nope, maxmind is easy to bypass.

• Signed

• Isn't it 100,000 signatures to get it partitioned in parliament?

• Signed

• bf1bf1 Member

It's 1,000,000 signatures from at least 7 EU countries.

@MSPNick said:
    Isn't it 100,000 signatures to get it partitioned in parliament?

• I am an EU citizen and i highly doubt EU decided thia without tbe agreement of the US, CHINA and other major partners.

What non EU citizens dont know about EU os that the EU commission does not care about the majority of the EU countries.

EU players = Germany and France (all the other are markets) the US and the FMI have more say in what the EU commission decides than the European countries in general.

• Signed. Thank you for the petition.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Show me where I said that?

I don't know why you feel the need for me to point you your own words, since writting is usually a strong indication of the ability to read, but here we are: "From a consumer point of view it may cost more but "

• LeeLee Veteran

@deadbeef said:
    I don't know why you feel the need for me to point you your own words, since writting is usually a strong indication of the ability to read, but here we are: "From a consumer point of view it may cost more but "

Whichever way you look at this, for the consumer it is good because it provides accountability or avoidance. A very common theme that often comes up here is that the consumer wants an efficient, reliable service, regardless of how much they pay. This will go a bit further to helping that as much as it is painful for providers.

deadbeef said: You're in a low-end forum claiming that low-end services don't benefit the consumer. Nice.

Again, I really can't see where I said low end services do not benefit the consumer, they do, the right ones.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Whichever way you look at this, for the consumer it is good because it provides accountability or avoidance. A very common theme that often comes up here is that the consumer wants an efficient, reliable service, regardless of how much they pay. This will go a bit further to helping that as much as it is painful for providers.

No, it simply eradicates a market segment by forcing requirements the consumer may not have. Forcing is much more different than providing.

If I want a great low-end provider, I'll take a look at this site and box and get one. Easy. The fact that there are tightly margined providers does not hinder me in any way to chose whatever I like. And sometimes I like to just check providers regardless of their rep for a toy project or whatever.

Killing off the little fries only benefits the slightly bigger ones and hurts the consumer by removing choice and decreasing his purchasing power.

Again, I really can't see where I said low end services do not benefit the consumer, they do, the right ones.

When a law passes that kills the margins, it doesn't say "oh, you two guys over there are in the above average of your niche in customer care, you get spared". It simply destroys everyone who was on that margin. Now if the argument is "no one should be in that low margin anyway", it's the same as "low cost is bad for the consumer".

• LeeLee Veteran

@deadbeef, I accept and agree the principle behind your thoughts. But if a provider's "business plan" is focussed entirely on the $7 or less market then it's walking a tight rope that they will eventually fall off.

Just take a look around you on this site, over 2014 many have come and gone, largely because they can't afford to stay in business because they can't get enough of a client base to support their service.

deadbeef said: When a law passes that kills the margins

You need to adjust your margins. You either say I can't afford to operate in this market at my current margins or I need to increase my income to cover that additional cost.

As I have said before, if your only market is LET/LEB then your chances of survival were already low, doing nothing to expand your market is not the fault of a new law, it's poor foresight on your part. If it had not been VAT it would have been something else.