Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a yearly SSD VPS for hosting a WordPress blog! [Need Help]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a yearly SSD VPS for hosting a WordPress blog! [Need Help]

damandaman Member
edited January 2015 in General

Hi everyone, I have been part of this awesome community for a while now. I want a VPS for hosting a WordPress blog (nginx + mariadb + phpfpm). I'm looking for a SSD VPS and I will be paying annually for that.

Here are the specs I'm looking for:

• 1 GB RAM
  • SSD based VPS
  • KVM preferred (OpenVZ is also okay)
  • Good Support and uptime (It's must)

Budget: <= $40 per year

Please suggest me a reliable VPS provider with 100% uptime average. I'll be hosting a blog so good uptime is necessary for that.

Note: I already have a Crissic VPS. So please don't include them in this list.

Comments

• Checkout crissic,

All is very well there, just had downtimes 2 times due to attack/abuse on their server.

• BoltVM has been great so far. The $5/mo. price on their website is wrong, just click to see actual price. 24/7 support
    No downtime in the month+ I have been with them.

• @>; @Sady said:

Checkout crissic,

All is very well there, just had downtimes 2 times due to attack/abuse on their server.

Thanks! I already have a VPS with them and I'm looking for another reliable provider like them. Please suggest me another :)

• @daman said:
    @>; Sady said:
    Thanks! I already have a VPS with them and I'm looking for another reliable provider like them. Please suggest me another :)

Then checkout BoltVM :)

Using from black friday, haven't faced any issue.

• @4n0nx said:
    BoltVM has been great so far. The $5/mo. price on their website is wrong, just click to see actual price. 24/7 support
    No downtime in the month+ I have been with them.

My Bad! Their pure SSD VPS is out of stock!

• @Sady said:

Using from black friday, haven't faced any issue.

Actually I'm wanted to get VPS from them but their SSD plan is out of stock and I missed their Black Friday deal too :(

• ah :( SSD cached is not enough? :o

• It's enough, but I'm looking for pure SSD mate! but it if I'll not be able to find any good deal. I'll definitely buy it :)

• Maybe @Steven_F has one left in his magic hat? ;0

• @4n0nx said:
    Maybe Steven_F has one left in his magic hat? ;0

Yes I'm hoping the same. :)

• Is there any significant difference between HDD/SSD cached/SSD for WordPress? Do you take advantage of it? I'm curious how to further optimize a wordpress blog on a vps. thanks.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Optimize the db. Use a cache function for wordpress.
    That way you can use almost any provider.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @4n0nx said:
    Maybe Steven_F has one left in his magic hat? ;0

Nope, current pricing is our lowest.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited January 2015

Steven_F said: Nope, current pricing is our lowest.

I meant one 1G SSD VPS left in magic hat :o because out of stock

• @4n0nx said:

Ah, sorry, no to that as well.

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2015

GoodHosting (aff link) KVM US/CA

Ci5-1G plan for $40.00/yr (promo CI5YEARLY for annually payment):

CPU: 1 Core
    Memory: 1024 MB Dedicated ECC
    Storage: 20 GB RAW SSD RAID10-Backed
    Bandwidth: unmetered fair-use (1Gbps port)
    IPs: 1 Standard, 2 with Justification

But I venture to suggest that there is no need for 1024MB memory, especially when using nginx + phpfpm + mariadb. So you can get KVM 768MB plan for $30/yr (CI4YEARLY code) or even 512MB plan for $20/yr (CI3YEARLY code). How many visitors per day you usually get?

Note they deploy your server manually, so it could take up to 72 hours.

If you prefer EU location I suggest Ginernet http://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/17922/jmginer, for example. But max bandwidth is 300 GB/month and it's OVZ.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • @bersy said:
    GoodHosting (aff link) KVM US/CA

Ci5-1G plan for $40.00/yr (promo CI5YEARLY for annually payment):

CPU: 1 Core
    Memory: 1024 MB Dedicated ECC
    Storage: 20 GB RAW SSD RAID10-Backed
    Bandwidth: unmetered fair-use (1Gbps port)
    IPs: 1 Standard, 2 with Justification

But I venture to suggest that there is no need for 1024MB memory, especially when using nginx + phpfpm + mariadb. So you can get KVM 768MB plan for $30/yr (CI4YEARLY code) or even 512MB plan for $20/yr (CI3YEARLY code). How many visitors per day you usually get?

Note they deploy your server manually, so it could take up to 72 hours.

If you prefer EU location I suggest Ginernet http://lowendtalk.com/profile/discussions/17922/jmginer, for example. But max bandwidth is 300 GB/month and it's OVZ.

Currently the website is hitting 5000 visitors per day. How's the past uptime performance of GoodHosting?

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • @daman said:
    Currently the website is hitting 5000 visitors per day. How's the past uptime performance of GoodHosting?

I see a few reports of downtime or issues here and always complaints of no response from anyone via technical support.

• CVPS has 2GB RAM plus SSD disk space for 30 bucks a year I think

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-7month-2gb-openvz-ssd-vps-and-more-dedi-included-in-six-us-locations/

That is, if you are looking purely at specs.

If you are looking for actual performance, normal disk offers from prometeus, catalyst, and ramnode are excellent choices.

Performance wise, normal ssd cached from ramnode is wow. But I prefer catalyst and prometeus for personal reasons.

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2015

daman said: Currently the website is hitting 5000 visitors per day. How's the past uptime performance of GoodHosting?

I don't monitor uptime of GoodHosting servers, but it's clear that uptime is not 100%. Meanwhile, I guess the quality corresponds to the price in this case. No one can guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong. The only 1GB SSD KVM plan for <= $40/y I know is offeder by GoodHosting. Unmetered bandwidth and allowing to utilize 100% CPU 24/7 in addition.

• @utama
    One method is move php files to /dev/shm, but it's not safe.

• @kcaj said:
    I see a few reports of downtime or issues here and always complaints of no response from anyone via technical support.

Oops! Sad to hear that. Good support is must!

• @jcaleb said:
    CVPS has 2GB RAM plus SSD disk space for 30 bucks a year I think

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-7month-2gb-openvz-ssd-vps-and-more-dedi-included-in-six-us-locations/

That is, if you are looking purely at specs.

If you are looking for actual performance, normal disk offers from prometeus, catalyst, and ramnode are excellent choices.

Performance wise, normal ssd cached from ramnode is wow. But I prefer catalyst and prometeus for personal reasons.

I've heard that ChicagoVPS has downtime issues and looking at their past performance, I'm unsure should I go with them. Need someone to clarify!

• etcetc Member

Stay as far away from ChicagoVPS as you humanly can. For every person that has a good CVPS experience, you can find a dozen with horrible experiences.

We're talking about constant downtime, incompetent support, refusal by support to look into downtime issues, etc.

They are, quite literally, the worst host I've ever had to deal with.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This is the answer no one is giving you, but if you need 1 GB of RAM to serve 5k visitors/day, optimize your setup.

Then, 128 MB and HDD storage would be enough for you.

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2015

daman said: Oops! Sad to hear that. Good support is must!

Their suppor is both slow and good :)

Nyr said: This is the answer no one is giving you, but if you need 1 GB of RAM to serve 5k visitors/day, optimize your setup.

MikHo has already mentioned it.

• @daman US or EU?

• @mohsengham said:
    daman US or EU?

US or EU does not matter much. I just need a reliable provider that has very good uptime and support.

• @Nyr said:
    This is the answer no one is giving you, but if you need 1 GB of RAM to serve 5k visitors/day, optimize your setup.

Then, 128 MB and HDD storage would be enough for you.

Yes, no doubt I can host it on a 128mb VPS but I need more because sometimes, due to traffic spikes, the rush increases and 128mb is not sufficient for my needs. I understood your point btw :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@daman said:

Can't you cache most of the requests?