Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using a low end VPS IP for my High end Dedi/VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using a low end VPS IP for my High end Dedi/VPS

Hi!
I have a server where it would be expensive to get a new IPv4 address. The server is a middle/high end machine where I want to host several VPSes for my own development projects.

The idea of mine would be to buy a $6/year lowendbox with public IPv4, and connect to that lowend VPS from my server via openVPN, do some port forwarding magic and voila I now have a public IP for $0.5/mo for my server.

Is this a walkable path? Are there any automation scripts for these or any steps I forgot to consider? Thanks & happy new year!

Comments

• Latency will be the biggest issue.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited December 2014

It's doable alright. You'll just have to create a tunnel. Just keep latency in mind like @0xdragon said and make sure that the VPS can withstand traffic :-)

Out of curiosity, how much is your DC charging per IP?

• You can do it with GRE tunnel, I've tried it with my Kimsufi and a $3 a year GVH with extra IP's.

• @linuxthefish said:
    You can do it with GRE tunnel, I've tried it with my Kimsufi and a $3 a year GVH with extra IP's.

Will you be kind enough to explain the steps :)

• I'm not sure how well it would work, but if you wait for xvmlabs to get more stock, I think you can get a yearly VPS with like 5 IPs for about $7

• NeoGen said: Will you be kind enough to explain the steps :)

Found this for GRE tunnel: http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

Should work with all providers...

Thanked by 1NeoGen
  • @hostnoob Only problem with XVMLabs is the bandwidth, 100GB/mo - 50 actual (in + out counted). I've got 2 boxes with 7 IPs each for $5/10 - using the IPs with an Nginx reverse proxy as I don't think they support GRE.

• @nandika not all providers have GRE enabled. I'd recommend going with the guys who wrote that, BuyVM. Sometimes they have high IP plans, like I have a VPS w/ 8 IPs for ~$6/mo and 2TB bandwidth. Might want to submit a sales ticket to see if they have some available, but if not, they're still cheap at like $1/IP/mo.

• One thing, would it be possible to route all outgoing traffic for the "hidden" VPN thru the public lowendbox?
    Like if I want to use for example a win remote desktop, I connect to the $6/yr vps which uses the GRE tunnel to my Dedi, and if I surf the net using the remote desktop the $6/yr vps's IP should be used.

I guess this would be the case if using openVPN. Not sure about GRE tunnels

• @nandika said:
    One thing, would it be possible to route all outgoing traffic for the "hidden" VPN thru the public lowendbox?

Assuming that the dedicated server in this case is your Windows RDP server, it should be possible with some fancy routing on the Windows machine.