Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sysadmin Work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sysadmin Work?

Is anyone looking to do some Sysadmin work on the side right now? Looking for someone who is very versatile and experienced installing, configuring and managing a wide array of software.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Comments

• Any specific software?

• Nothing in particular.

• said: Is anyone looking to do some Sysadmin work on the side right now? Looking for someone who is very versatile and experienced installing, configuring and managing a wide array of software.

Please PM me if you are interested.

There are no sysadmin who can manage "any" software. It's just stupid to think that way.

Say particular applications, which you want to be configured.

• Profforg said: There are no sysadmin who can manage "any" software. It's just stupid to think that way.

A good sysadmin knows a good variety of software and is able to use, abuse, and handle them.

A great sysadmin knows how to use google competently to reliably find the proper solution and adapt it to their environment.

• Thanks for the offers everyone. I've found a couple of people already and @rmlhhd has helped with the first task.

Thanked by 1rmlhhd
  • Rallias said: A good sysadmin knows a good variety of software and is able to use, abuse, and handle them.

It's rather annoying to listen to that. If you think that you know all - then you just end your life because you have no more to learn.

That's obvious, that you usually can install and basically fix minor issues because it's just apt-get install softwarename and vi /etc/softwarename.conf comment one line || add one line, but you can not know each software weak moments, deep problems, the security issues and much more. If anyone would trust sysadmin who says that he knows any software as a pro - he is an idiot.

Rallias said: A great sysadmin knows how to use google competently

I do not envy your clients if you use google to solve problems.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2014

To not use google as a resource would be stupid. Google also gets you to man pages too.

A good admin is always ready to learn new things and Google is an essential part of learning on the job. You don't always have the luxury of choosing between "I already know this," "I'm going to take a course to learn this," or "I have to find someone who already knows this." Everyone has different job requirements.

Of course, you never claim to be an expert after an hour of research. You always let your client know where you stand and you do your best for them, or let them find someone else.

• edited December 2014

Profforg said: I do not envy your clients if you use google to solve problems.

So what do you use to solve a problem or questions you may have? Answer would be google or whatever search engine you use.

No one can be a mister know it all execpt @profforg. ;)

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited January 2015

Profforg said: It's rather annoying to listen to that. If you think that you know all - then you just end your life because you have no more to learn.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Would you like a cookie? Lemme just google a recipe and I'll get them to you as soon as they're done.

I don't pretend to know everything. I know how to read thru garble that people post in feign of a solution. I know how to adapt that to an actual solution. I know how to test various options in order to select an optimal outcome.

I don't claim to be an expert at everything. I'm well suited for a mindset of networked computing. I can't iterate thru the 7 OSI layers. I don't need to. If I need to, I can google it. I can't program well. If I need to, I take out a notebook, I draw what I want to do, and I google how to solve individual steps.

Notice how I used good and great separately. A good sysadmin can do a designated job. A great sysadmin can adapt.

You must be god tier.

Oop, cookie's are done.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Any sysadmin that uses Google is stupid. That's why I use Bing.
    And yes, I'm kidding.

Thanked by 2cassa raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

shovenose said: Any sysadmin that uses Google is stupid. That's why I use Bing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: Looking for someone who is very versatile and experienced installing, configuring and managing a wide array of software.

I hope his first task will be to fix your gravatar :-)

But seriously...you might want to give some clues about the work...e.g., Linux or Windows, is this web stuff or security stuff or what, etc.

Thanked by 1Profforg
  • Rallias said: I'm sorry you feel that way. Would you like a cookie? Lemme just google a recipe and I'll get them to you as soon as they're done.

I don't pretend to know everything. I know how to read thru garble that people post in feign of a solution. I know how to adapt that to an actual solution. I know how to test various options in order to select an optimal outcome.

I don't claim to be an expert at everything. I'm well suited for a mindset of networked computing. I can't iterate thru the 7 OSI layers. I don't need to. If I need to, I can google it. I can't program well. If I need to, I take out a notebook, I draw what I want to do, and I google how to solve individual steps.

Notice how I used good and great separately. A good sysadmin can do a designated job. A great sysadmin can adapt.

You must be god tier.

Oop, cookie's are done.

What i see here is it what you just want the job. It's your way. But there are limits. Don't lie and don't saying something you can't do, its just stupid. Even if you will be hired, you'll have no long-term partnership without knowledges and it's a shame of sysadmin job. Because of people like you people do not trust sysadmins and thinks that they any monkeys.

Following what @raindog308 said - you can't know how to correctly manage either Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac - it just impossible as far as you can manage only the things you are working for a long time with.

Though there are some people who trying to do anything, that's maybe OK, but usually that people can not do the job right. I would suggest people, who hire sysadmins, ignore people who said "i know any software". That's my last message as i am pretty sure you and other will continue to bend own line.

• Profforg said: What i see here is it what you just want the job.

Honestly, I made my bid, it wasn't accepted, it was a first bird gets the worm job.

Profforg said: It's your way. But there are limits.

Yes, and I know my limits. I know better than to sell myself as a developer. I know better than to sell myself as a Windows admin. Why? Because I know diddily squat about those items. What I do know is infrastructure, how it's laid out, how to configure it to do as I wish, how to debug when the portashitter needs replacing.

Profforg said: Even if you will be hired, you'll have no long-term partnership without knowledges and it's a shame of sysadmin job.

The thing is, with most jobs, what you know matters little. What really matters is being able to identify and, for lack of a better word, conquer a problem.

Profforg said: Because of people like you people do not trust sysadmins and thinks that they any monkeys.

No, the cause of that is people don't believe IT is worth paying for. People don't see the material benefit of having good quality IT infrastructure. What you get when people focus on reducing IT cost are systems administrators that know jack shit because they're paid so little they don't give a royal fuck about the quality of the work.

Profforg said: Following what @raindog308 said - you can't know how to correctly manage either Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac - it just impossible as far as you can manage only the things you are working for a long time with.

Yes, and that's why I'm a Linux sysadmin. However, what's being ignored here is demographics. A vast majority of users on this forum use VPS's. These often come easiest as Linux, slightly more difficult as a BSD derivative, and a pain in the balls with Windows. Based on that assumption, I can very well put in a bid stating to be a Linux sysadmin and know there's a low chance I'd have to deal with Windows in execution of a job. BSD I can handle because I've diddled with it.

Profforg said: Though there are some people who trying to do anything, that's maybe OK, but usually that people can not do the job right.

Absolutely. The thing is, it comes down to feels. Either you know what you're dealing with, you can figure out what you're dealing with, or you're akin to Sarah Palin's child. Those who can roll with the punches, figure out what they're doing or know what they're doing, they'll do the job right. However, that requires taking a step back and looking at the long term goal of a project (longer than say 5 minnutes).

• bf1bf1 Member

I don't use Google to solve my problems, I have 1,000,000 books in the basement and 10,000,000 PDF's on my computer. People let's get real, everybody uses or have used google to solve sysadmin problems, you can't learn in school everything and you won't learn that in books, bugs show up daily with new software, books/pdf's are not updated.