Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud / 'Cloud' Poll
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud / 'Cloud' Poll

I'd really be interested to know feelings on Cloud (as in HA Cloud/SAN Storage) vs 'Cloud' (as in same functionality as a VPS Reseller account).

Cloud Storage
  1. Do you prefer local storage (DAS) or centralised storage (SAN)78 votes
    1. DAS (generally being faster for the DD aficionados)
      21.79%
    2. SAN (Allows failover in the event of node failure)
      78.21%
  2. Virtualisation Technology78 votes
    1. XenServer
      26.92%
    2. KVM
      70.51%
    3. Other (specify in comments)
        2.56%
  3. #1 most important feature of a cloud service78 votes
    1. Number of locations
      11.54%
    2. Network: Transit providers / Peering
      21.79%
    3. Choice of virtualisor
        1.28%
    4. Price
      26.92%
    5. Free services coupons ;)
        5.13%
    6. User interface of provisioning system
        0.00%
    7. AWS API compatibility
        0.00%
    8. Availability of API
        2.56%
    9. Uptime
      30.77%
    10. Other (specify below)
        0.00%

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2014

SAN, KVM, Network/Uptime.

Personally, if it's done right elements such as coupons and price are at the bottom and pretty inconsequential.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited December 2014

DAS, Xen, Network/Peering.

• One of the first things we learn when becoming a software engineer is the ability to fail quickly and cheaply. Cloud computing allows developers to more easily fail by allowing quick/automated provisioning and scaling, so the most important feature of cloud computing is the price for me.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

SAN/KVM, I also had a hard time picking between network and uptime, so I'm picking both since both are important.

• If you chose KVM, why do you prefer it over XenServer? XenServer has far better HA/failover functionality than KVM. Performance between the two is almost the same since XenServer 6.5 came about.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Thanks

• @MarkTurner said:
    If you chose KVM, why do you prefer it over XenServer? XenServer has far better HA/failover functionality than KVM. Performance between the two is almost the same since XenServer 6.5 came about.

Its not very well known I guess.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

XenServer is really a great Hypervisor. Never have any problem with it, and lot of features for HA and Networking.

• SAN, KVM, Uptime.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

XenServer, SAN, Uptime.
    There are plenty of offers catering for other needs, such as big cache SSD for the DD "testers", KVMs aplenty for people which think it cannot be "oversold", OVZ for quick deploy and scalability, etc.
    I choose Uptime because it includes network IMO and the more peers, the less downtime in theory, as we know, in practice, the more you have, the more chances one will fail and some routes will become unavailable at least temporarily.

• SAN. KVM, Xen is also fine. Both Network and Uptime because giving one up would made me lose both.

• What sort of performance (bandwidth/IOP) would you expect from a SAN? Not all SAN's are created equally for example NetApp vs Sun vs HP vs Hitachi.

With DAS its easy to make it very performant, just stick some SSDs on the box and ask the three main 'cloud' providers have proven you can get some high performance disk IO. But SAN being centralised and more users hitting it, then the performance would be lower.

What about processor - each operator has come at it in different ways. Some like large nodes, lots of RAM and disk; others like small nodes and uniprocessor.