Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hacker changing my root password again and again - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hacker changing my root password again and again

2»

Comments

• Drukpa said: Can you suggest me a good control panel, that is free/affordable and SECURE. I just have two VMs to manage.

Feathur? http://feathur.com/

Thanked by 1Drukpa
  • @Drukpa We put it this way. If any hacker manages to hack into your node, why not hijack it altogether instead of teasing you with changes to WHM password? Do you have full control of the node?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2014

If you only have 2 VPS's to manage just use command line commands, it's easy!

vzctl create 101 --ostemplate xyz, vzctl set 101 --ipadd 192.168.1.1 --save, vzctl set ram/storage etc.

http://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment

Thanked by 2Drukpa netomx
  • What he said ^. I've been running Proxmox at home and it seems decent overall, but any panel is likely overkill for only 2 VMs.

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited December 2014

@century1stop said:
    Drukpa We put it this way. If any hacker manages to hack into your node, why not hijack it altogether instead of teasing you with changes to WHM password? Do you have full control of the node?

This guy was injecting links into my sites. And he was doing that using the cpanel file manager. He logs into hypervm, changes the cpanel vps' root password and logs into whm. He never logged into the node/VPS ssh. Maybe just a kid who happened to find my hypervm and knew about vulnerabilities.

Have now shutdown that hypervm service and blocked his IP.

• Proxmox will be overkill

vzctl only or I Openvz Webpanel https://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/

Thanked by 1Drukpa
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited December 2014

@Drukpa 1. Doesn't need to change your password to upload files via file manager. You'll probably not notice so soon
    2. You keep changing back the password, don't you think he knows?
    3. He need not SSH into the node, using HyperVM is good enough. He could have changed your HyperVM password instead of WHM and you will have access to nothing. Only possibility then would be a reinstall.
    4. Still using HyperVM default password or changed? LXguard configured?
    5. Are you the only one using the computer that accesses the node?
    HyperVM controls your node.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I use proxmox for 3 VMs and I think it's great :P

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited December 2014

@century1stop said:
    Drukpa 1. Doesn't need to change your password to upload files via file manager. You'll probably not notice so soon
    2. You keep changing back the password, don't you think he knows?
    3. He need not SSH into the node, using HyperVM is good enough. He could have changed your HyperVM password instead of WHM and you will have access to nothing. Only possibility then would be a reinstall.
    4. Still using HyperVM default password or changed? LXguard configured?
    5. Are you the only one using the computer that accesses the node?
    HyperVM controls your node.

Yeah, I didn't think hypervm was the culprit. Have shutdown that service now. Even if he changed hypervm password, I still have the node root password. Hypervm uses a different username/password. Anyway hoping the problem is solved now.

Now need to learn how to manage vms via ssh until I find the time to install a good control panel.

• @netomx said:
    I use proxmox for 3 VMs and I think it's great :P

Does it work well with sw raid 1? Very few seem to use it in production, funny of me to ask as I been using that shit hypervm till now.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited December 2014

@Drukpa said:
    Does it work well with sw raid 1? Very few seem to use it in production, funny of me to ask as I been using that shit hypervm till now.

All virtualisation managers will work with RAID :)

Drukpa said: Now need to learn how to manage vms via ssh until I find the time to install a good control panel.

linuxthefish said: If you only have 2 VPS's to manage just use command line commands, it's easy!

vzctl create 101 --ostemplate xyz, vzctl set 101 --ipadd 192.168.1.1 --save, vzctl set ram/storage etc.

http://openvz.org/Basic_operations_in_OpenVZ_environment

• @Drukpa said:
    I have a cpanel server, and 2 days back received an email saying someone logged into WHM using root password. I tried sshing into the server, and sure enough, the password had been changed. So, I changed my root password to a new one. Checked all the WHM logs, the hacker had injected some SEO link in some websites. Reversed all those changes and went to bed.

Next day, again I received an email saying someone had logged into WHM using root, and again he changed my root password.

I performed virus scan on the server, nothing found.
    Performed virus scan/rootkit etc scan on my laptop. Nothing found.
    I always log into WHM using HTTPS/SSL.

Has this occurred to anyone in here? I can't imagine reformatting the server or my laptop.

Just install fail2ban and set your home ip in whitelist, then set : ban after 2 fail attempt

http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban

• becareful when setting the ban after fail, if you set it to low, you'll lock yourself out.

• volkankvolkank Member
    edited December 2014

reinstall OS, then change SSH port, and use only key auth.

• do what I would do just buy virtualizor I probably only have about 4 vm's on it so far with delimiter and I would like to say it seems very secure as I locked myself out onetime due to a bad keyboard typing in the wrong password and I was locked out for 15 mins so that will slow down any hacker.