Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Merry Christmas from Comcast - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Merry Christmas from Comcast

2»

Comments

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited December 2014

Ok ok..

And across the US

• @cncking2000 said:
    Ok ok..

And across the US

That's seriously impressive.

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited December 2014

@0xdragon - Employer uses 2x1Gbit L3 circuits to feed two separate in house networks. (Non-hosting related business)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Nothing changed. /sigh

• I'll trade someone for my 10 Mbit/s connection.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Comcast people: try rebooting your modem. a few months ago they mailed me a postcard that said reboot your modem to get the new 2x speed... I am sure if I had done it before they sent me that it still would have worked...

• Comcrap. I have them, too.

• emgemg Veteran

@shovenose said:
    Comcast people: try rebooting your modem. a few months ago they mailed me a postcard that said reboot your modem to get the new 2x speed... I am sure if I had done it before they sent me that it still would have worked...

The same is true for Time Warner Cable people. Reboot your cable modem - you may notice a very large increase in speed. Ours had been promised for July, but actually happened on 1 October. Our download speed increased from 15 Mbps to 50 Mbps with a corresponding increase in upload speed.

You should also look at which model cable modem you are using. If you receive a speed increase now or in the future, you may have to replace your cable modem to take advantage of it.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2014

Rebooting. Let's see what happens.

Doubled download speed. But outbound not changed.

• shovenose said: Comcast people: try rebooting your modem. a few months ago they mailed me a postcard that said reboot your modem to get the new 2x speed... I am sure if I had done it before they sent me that it still would have worked...

I was really hoping that would work and I just lost that comcast letter, but nope :(

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

@Spencer said:
    I was really hoping that would work and I just lost that comcast letter, but nope :(

Damn, where do you live (general location, i don't need creeper-style specifics) lol

Edit: and you do have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, right?

• I wish that I had only $25 per month with comcast. I woke up to another rate hike for 2015 to $75 and change per month for the "Performance" tier. I do pay modem rental which maybe I'll drop (finally). I don't have any other services with them which I know raises the price.

I've been with these guys since they took over @home back in the stone age.. I really must look at the alternatives again!

The massive hassle is I'd infused various @home.com and then @comcast.net addresses into so much over the years.. Most of the alternate portable solutions I tried like Novell's myrealbox, anglefire, etc all went through big changes or were shut down.

• @Smokey said:
    I wish that I had only $25 per month with comcast. I woke up to another rate hike for 2015 to $75 and change per month for the "Performance" tier. I do pay modem rental which maybe I'll drop (finally). I don't have any other services with them which I know raises the price.

maybe you can call them for a discount, since you've been a member for so long now.
    http://www.johngarvens.com/how-to-negotiate-with-comcast/

• Hi Floris,
    I have negotiated with them many times over the years and have saved money. The problem is that they haven't just offered a fixed rate for as long as I stay.

Vonage offered me a permanent fixed rate a couple years ago when I let one line go.

It gets tiresome having to call or visit the local office to 're-up' any sort of deal.

Last time doing the comcast dance I asked them to give me an exact price, no time limited discounts or any other sort of promo so I could reasonably work it into a long term budget.. Guess what, around 6 months later, despite having thought the message was clear and we understood each other, I get a notice that %50 of my 12 month promo discount was expiring and the second half of the promo was kicking in soon. LOL

I pretty much think I am at top dollar now with them and despite it being a ream job, at least it's maybe a figure I can budget with that won't change for a full year.

At any rate, I appreciate the suggestion. It is a good one since they will bend some to keep a customer. The monopoly here they used to enjoy though is sort of weakened.. but preliminary research seems to indicate that Verizon operates in a similar mannor as Comcast with pricing, promos, etc.

• i have FTTH and get 1bit up/down with 15static ips for $125/month

i must say, i am lucky and i love having gbit!

speedtest.net/my-result/3628360319

• @hostnoob - Thanks for the info. It's easy enough to not lease a modem. If you plan on having service for more than 8-10 months and with the price changes, now 6-8, it pays for itself to buy your own. I don't understand why anyone would lease a modem, especially now. New years resolution to anyone who rents their modem, buy one.