Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Port Forwarding Tricks - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Port Forwarding Tricks

2»

Comments

• @AuroraZ said: I am sorry I did not say in my opinion the GUI has ruined a lot of things.

You said...

@AuroraZ said: So should all GUIs unless you have a minimum 5 years command line exp.

@AuroraZ said: If people HAD to use a command line and learn it not only would it make it better for them in the long run but also it might be better on the providers.

You are taking a field you are selectively knowledgeable in, and pushing off to the wider population that they need to be knowledgeable in the same field which is rubbish. By the same token then you should not be allowed to drive a car until you have a minimum of 5 years auto-mechanical experience in rebuilding engines. We should also do away with keys and push button start cars and pre-mixed fuel. You should need to go back to winding up the motor to start, and be given "dirty fuel" for you to refine yourself. Then you will get a better understanding of how cars work, and it will be less work for your mechanic and make servicing your car easier as you will be able to diagnose things yourself. Now that you're done with your car, next is turning you in to a certified refrigerator serviceman, you will need to learn the intricates before you are allowed a fresh glass of milk ;)

@AuroraZ said: WTH why did this suddenly become such a personal thing.

I didn't mention you specifically, I simply supplemented the term "elitist crap" with the word "neanderthal." But if the shoe fits... etc. And if you look historically at a lot of "elitist crap" including the "old boys club" that are baked in tradition, it's a bunch of men that pay hommage to the self-congratulatory circle-jerk that took place in the same building 200 years before them. Ala practicing Neanderthals.

@AuroraZ said: I happen to like using it and happen to know from experience that most people coming to Linux/Unix platform need CLI experience.

CLI is great and it has its place, both as a requirement in some places and as an alternative method to achieving things.

@AuroraZ said: If you don't have the experience when your GUI falters where is your information?

Just like you take your car to a mechanic, you take your computer to the relevant service department.

@AuroraZ said: Do you load another GUI?

Not sure where you have resided the last 10 years, but for most windows users a reinstall has become an annual tradition. So the answer to your question for most users is yes, wipe, reinstall then they load another GUI which to them is infinitely better than spending 5 years learning CLI. There's no guarantee that their 5 years in CLI is what will solve their next computer issue.

@AuroraZ said: Do you run to the developer and scream at him?

What do you think, just step back and think about it for a second. Honestly, think "webRulon," what do you think I do when my local developers after being paid $80+ p/hr make a monumental screw up. I thump my keyboard, I scream as loud as socially accepted so it's not seen as pre-meditated murder, from there I usually attempt the stand-over scream downwards tactic. If they're still not rattled I go outside, I fill a bucket with sand and I bring it in and drop it on their desk, then in front of them I literally start to pound sand. It's like waterboard torture, and eventually, once I have pounded enough sand they see things my way and fix it.

@AuroraZ said: When he tells you how to fix it or it does get fixed how is the fix applied usually?

The image of me pounding sand stays with him for a long long time, the fix is usually applied.

@AuroraZ said: The CLI is an important tool and people need to learn about it.

The CLI is an important tool, but no people do not need to learn about it. You don't need to learn about it to use your XBOX, you don't need to learn about it to use your iPhone / NintendoDS / Harry potter's talking wand etc. And since windows 3 and the emergence of pre-installed boxes, most people have never needed to use it in their day to day operations either.

Here's some perspective, you probably know more about CLI than you do your own body, how to nourish it, how to repair it, or even how to be self-sufficient. Pull the plug out of the wall your CLI and all that you viewed as important just went blank.

@AuroraZ said: That is the last thing I shall say in this thread as it has now been derailed big time.

Of which you were a budding and active contributor to derailing long before I or many others got involved. If you were really adamant about not derailing the thread you wouldn't have replied to me, and been the "better man" and kept it on topic. ;)