Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering offering a VPS Product
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Considering offering a VPS Product

Hello LET,

While not officially offering it yet, it's under serious consideration and we've been testing it for quite a while.

Basically, we're thinking about offer SolusVM KVM-Based VPS.

Hypervisor Specifications:

• CPU: Dual E5-2620 U.S and Dual E5-2630 U.K.
  • STORAGE: RAID10 SSD.
  • Port Speed: The Hypervisor Node is 1 Gbps - Switches are connected to 10 Gbps uplinks.
  • Locations: Buffalo, New York and Maidenhead, England.
  • Max vCPUs: 24 vCPU (Hence the Dual E5-26*0).

I Ran a few DD Tests, and these were the best results:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=1g bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.17581 s, 913 MB/s

$ dd if=1g of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.97853 s, 543 MB/s

Average DD write result:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=1g bs=1M count=1024 conv=fdatasync
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.69185 s, 635 MB/s

Pricing will start at $5.00/mo for 768 MB RAM / 15 GB SSD / 1 TB Bandwidth.

What are your thoughts?

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• Your 5$ package would be very near to Vultr's 5$ package, excluding that you offer RAID, presumably in difference to Vultr. What about the DC? But sounds good this far...

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • nexusrain said: What about the DC? But sounds good this far...

It is no secret that we use ColoCrossing in our U.S Locations.

The Buffalo, New York location is ColoCrossing (Our hardware, network, and IPs).

The Maidenhead, England Location is IOMart/RS. Our hardware and their network.

• Sign me up :P

Will you consider offering even lower spec VPS's. I'm a student who runs some hobbys and dont need high specs.

• nexusrain said: Your 5$ package would be very near to Vultr's 5$ package, excluding that you offer RAID, presumably in difference to Vultr.

Well, the $5.00 VPS seems to be a trend, and we're trying to reach out to more customers who want a reliable VPS that is more affordable that our OnApp-Based Public Cloud. This is why the package may seem similar to Vultr's. This package was originally 512 MB Ram, but many of our existing clients requested that we raise that to 768 MB, and we accommodated that.

Vultr has a rather large global footprint. But again, this is Choopa's Network after all. Hopefully we'll be able to expand to more locations soon, depending on the demand.

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited December 2014

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Sign me up :P

Will you consider offering even lower spec VPS's. I'm a student who runs some hobbys and dont need high specs.

Gladly. If you have something in mind, then by all means, share your ideas and we'll do out best to deliver. The whole point of this thread is to get feedback.

• @DalekOfSkaro Can you run this?

dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

How much SSDs are in the RAID setup?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Part of me says "another vps provider on CC in buffalo...meh..."

But I like your CloudBSD page too much to say that.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@DalekOfSkaro

Good offers. I think you should do it. But unfortunately, your business will fail, because you post your Raid and CPU information.... Everybody know we don't do that!.... :P

• PetaByet said: @DalekOfSkaro Can you run this?

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.48804 s, 722 MB/s

PetaByet said: @DalekOfSkaro Can you run this?
    How much SSDs are in the RAID setup?

I am not the one who deploys everything, but I think there's 8 SSD.

• raindog308 said: Part of me says "another vps provider on CC in buffalo...meh..."

But I like your CloudBSD page too much to say that.

Well, we had no problem with CC and we run our own thing there. Our clients are happy, and so are we.

I'm glad you like the CloudBSD Page :-) I built it.

• Sounds good, nothing that bad about the CC network if you are using your own unblacklisted IP's.

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • davidgestiondbi said: Good offers. I think you should do it. But unfortunately, your business will fail, because you post your Raid and CPU information.... Everybody know we don't do that!.... :P

I love the joke. However, kindly of you, let's not derail from the actual purpose of this topic and make remarks to other providers and/or their practices. We pride ourselves in being transparent with our clients, and we will always be.

Aside from this, I'm happy that you like the offer. Right now we have a rough draft of the list of offerings - 6 to be exact.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @DalekOfSkaro
    Sounds cool but sadly CC stll no IPv6 :-/. any chance for hourly billing and freebie credits hehe?

• Stevie said: @DalekOfSkaro Sounds cool but sadly CC stll no IPv6 :-/. any chance for hourly billing and freebie credits hehe?

We've been pushing for IPv6 as well with CC and it is expected soon (hopefully). However, the Maidenhead location has native IPv6 ready to go.

We do not plan to offer hourly billing just yet, but it is definitely something that we are considering and planning on offering in the near future.

• linuxthefish said: Sounds good, nothing that bad about the CC network if you are using your own unblacklisted IP's.

We definitely use our own IPs, yes. All our deployment to customers are from our ARIN-allocated IPs.

• Digging the plan and digging the transparency, what's not to love?

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • NickPerk said: Digging the plan and digging the transparency, what's not to love?

Thank you very much. I hope you'll be interested in giving us a try when we officially launch it :)

• I'll give the UK location a try, been looking for a reliable one for a while. :)

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • iKeyZ said: I'll give the UK location a try, been looking for a reliable one for a while. :)

Well then, I'm sure we can sort something out for you! If you're serious about getting started, kindly send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

• Sounded good, any test IP for the UK location?

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • @johnlth93 said:
    Sounded good, any test IP for the UK location?

Certainly. Here's our UK Looking Glass: http://lg.lon.digitalfyre.net

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    While not officially offering it yet, it's under serious consideration and we've been testing it for quite a while.

At first this peaked my interest as I thought you may have something interesting... then you said:

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Basically, we're thinking about offer SolusVM KVM-Based VPS.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one let down. To be honest, there's just nothing unique about this. I'm sure your actual service will be great, but from a customer acquisition perspective, the market is simply too saturated with SolusVM KVM-based VPS providers.

You need to think about what can actually differentiate you from the rest of the pack, and I don't mean things like, "we'll be super reliable," or "our servers are super fast," or "we'll have great customer support." You need something tangible like perhaps your own panel or non-basic features out of the gate like snapshots, custom ISOs, hourly billing, integrated billing, etc. Anything to avoid bucketing you guys into the typical SolusVM/WHMCS templated host-in-a-box.

Good luck!

Thanked by 2Mark_R sirmbhe
  • bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

CC = No ipv6, which is bad, CC = bad rep around here because of the secret takeover... the prices and offers are good but I saw tens of CC and Maidenhead offers up until now (NY is not far behind), also KVM is pretty much a saturated offer at the moment, maybe consider Xen I don't know.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited December 2014

@Hsunami I'm sorry you were let down. This is definitely something I was not hoping for.

The market may be saturated with SolusVM-Based Providers, but isn't nearly every shared hosting provider in the market is using cPanel or Plesk? In my opinion, the hosting market is saturated by nature.

Every hosting is different from the others in one way or another. Some in support, some in hardware and network quality, etc... We choose to use SolusVM for this particular service offering because it's simple and users are used to it. While users will be able to do pretty much everything from the main billing portal, access to SolusVM's Client Panel will be provided.

We will be offering custom ISOs. SolusVM offers it, and we will accommodate that and offer it to our clients too. As it stands, we've been asked to provide ISOs for FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, which we will offer. If a user needs a certain ISO, we will be adding it in less than 24 hours.

Some of our basic features may not be basic for some providers. Some of the included freebies that come to mind are:

• Free SSL Certificates
    • Free Newrelic Account
    • Free AnyCAST DNS Hosting
    • Free R1Soft Agent (Pay for the backup space only )
    • Free System Monitoring

And we are continuously thinking of more freebies to include in our offerings.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Edited to include free system monitoring which I forgot when I posted this

• bf1 said: CC = No ipv6, which is bad, CC = bad rep around here because of the secret takeover... the prices and offers are good but I saw tens of CC and Maidenhead offers up until now (NY is not far behind), also KVM is pretty much a saturated offer at the moment, maybe consider Xen I don't know.

CC is well aware of the IPv6 and I they clearly stated that it's coming soon. I'm not sure how soon, though.

I understand how many LET'ers are turned off by CC, but since we run our own setup with them, things are different for us. I'm not sure what secret takeover you are referring to, but I don't wish to get sidetracked into this matter since it's irrelevant to the topic.

As for the IOMart Maidenhead Datacenter, I don't see what's wrong with it. I'm sure hundreds of hosting providers use it, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Our OnApp-based Cloud is XEN-Powered, this is why the VPS Line is KVM-Powered.

Thank you very much for your feedback.