Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr & CPU use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr & CPU use

Hi guys!

Did anyone here use a vultr VPS for cpu intensive tasks?

If so, did it went well? Is CPU capped so that it's possible to use 100% of it for some time or would the app be killed automatically?

Comments

• I don't know. I think it's a secret. You know, classified information. :)

• Vultr is not a recommended host after the actions of the CEO, he has been unpleasant regarding a small question about Hard Drives.

What do you mean CPU intensive? Bitcoin Mining?

• Game servers are fine on it if that's where you are looking after.

• I know the CEO seem to be an asshole & they probably don't use RAID & hide the fact that some locations might not be multihomed but [i]anyway[/i] I might want to use a slot with them for some dev...

@TinyTunnel_Tom : not bitcoin mining, data processing, using php/mysql

• @ben78 said:
    I know the CEO seem to be an asshole & they probably don't use RAID & hide the fact that some locations might not be multihomed but [i]anyway[/i] I might want to use a slot with them for some dev...

TinyTunnel_Tom : not bitcoin mining, data processing, using php/mysql

Surprisinglywith CPU intensive tasks I have been good with DO, its just one core but its one hell of a core for $5

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2014

@DaveA will surely be able to tell you more about this. He is the transparent type of guy, you know. Or simply open a ticket! :)

• I cant say anything about experience with Vultr regarding this, but I already had multiple VPS with DO for CPU intense shit and had them a full month running @ 100% CPU usage (aircrack) - no termination / suspension, no task kill, no reboot, not even an email or anything.
    To dont risk your main account, I would create a new account at Vultr and try. If theres no reaction after some days, youre obviously safe :)

• Thanks for your answers.

DO sounds worth a try... but I have some credit I need to use with vultr.
    I guess I'll try on small tasks first and see how it goes... :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Put something on it which uses 100% of the CPU to measure if you CPU power get limited, i am quite sure that you get throttled down. I tested it at DO, positive so no one gives a shit if you "abuse" your CPU.

• @ben78 said:
    Thanks for your answers.

DO sounds worth a try... but I have some credit I need to use with vultr.
    I guess I'll try on small tasks first and see how it goes... :)

NFO offers full, dedicated HT CPU core (E5-2690 v2 in my case) @ $10/mo. Recently they doubled the bandwidth, if that's something you are after (4TB/mo).

• I've been running a gmod server on the $5 Vultr instance

• They don't limit CPU, I've used 100% on the single and multi core plans for days without any issues.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

said: or would the app be killed automatically?

The host can't kill your app in a KVM or Xen VPS, it's either nothing or the whole VPS stopped/limited.

• FarjadFarjad Member
    edited December 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    They don't limit CPU, I've used 100% on the single and multi core plans for days without any issues.

i agree i have two server from them , but cpu sometimes gets stolen. you can see in top command, ST section.

• I run some CPU intensive tasks at Vultr (100% use for sustained periods of times) and have had no issues. I did ask staff if it was okay and was told it was providing I wasn't mining.

• Hi,
    I used the multi cpu series for 3D rendering and didn't recognize any cpu cuts.

• I've maxed out my CPU with DO for weeks on end a while back - experimenting with Litecoins (hopeless, don't try). No issues and no throttling. Since then I use DO for compiling larger projects (100% for a couple of hours) and haven't had issues.

• Max CPU load is among the information that I miss in every VPS offer thread and on every website. Except on tragicservers.com

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

DO is good with CPU they don't mind how much you use I used to mine also for months when it was profitable, I don't know about vultr.

Edit: I just remembered, it was quite a while ago, DO bans mining now and their support specifically asks if you are mining and why you are using CPU intensive processes.

• It's not 100% but I think that's pretty intensive for a VPS provider to allow.

• kcaj said: It's not 100% but I think that's pretty intensive for a VPS provider to allow.

yeah, that's nice.

Thanks for your inputs, I'll see how that goes with vultr and if needed check out DO.

• @ben78 said:

You will be fine with Vultr, you can abuse CPU 100% 24/7

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I got capped down to 1 core on the 16GB plan for using about 1.8 cores 24x7, they removed the cap once I resolved the issue though.