Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OS suggestion for a Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OS suggestion for a Dedicated Server?

Hi!
I'm going to buy a dedi @ soyoustart (up to 16 IPs) for my personal needs.

What I need to host are the following:

• Windows Desktop for 15-20 users (one instance of Win running with around 15 separate usernames, this because I want to store website access cookies separately)
    A Win desktop wouldn't need to run most of the time, currently I work like: I start 1 VirtualBox, do a 15 min work on it then stop it.

• Linux VPS for some of my IP's with vesta control panel for easy portability / reinstall (mainly for website development, not for high traffic sites)

• Linux Remote desktop access for 1-2 users

What OS / virtualization would you recommend for these?

I was thinking of virtualbox under ubuntu host, but not sure if I can bind specific ips to specific virtualbox instances, and I think running a complete VBox wouldn't be so cpu efficient.

What about a XEN virtualization? Would that be able to run Win & linux on the same host?

Also if I install a XEN host can I add a user to the host machine and let them run a virtualbox via remote desktop?

Also since this is for personal use, cheap or free software would be the best.

Thanks for your help!

Comments