Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Measuring real life VPS connection speed - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Measuring real life VPS connection speed

2»

Comments

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited December 2014

There was an error while rendering (Camtasia added zoom frames by itself??) but here's the video how its now:

http://content.bitforce.io/hhtest.mp4

When its rendered again without zooming, it will be available at the same URL. In the video you can see an "apt-get update" and upgrade and some speed tests with different servers. The speeds got a lot better, but seriously: they already were much, much lower.

However, I dont wanna argue around anymore, the speed got better, I obviously did some things wrong and I "deleted" my first comment. So I don't have anything more to post to that topic...

P.S.: The crazy mouse moves I did on the video were just to show, that I didnt fake the video e.g. with time lapse or showing single frames for multiple secs.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2014

So we have identified two different problems:

• The first, as you can see, happens with IPv6 connectivity from the US to NL. Try using IPv4, sadly IPv6 is not good enough sometimes. Serverius IPv6 mix pretty nice, anyway.

• Secondly, I did some testing and speed from Serverius was bad (less than 10 mbps) when traffic was passing trough Telekom Romania. This could happen with other local ISPs too, but I don't have many networks to test from over there. If you want it fixed, you should probably try contacting your local ISP.

TL;DR: looks like neither HH or Serverius were really at fail. Crappy Romanian Internet and crappy IPv6 routing were.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Glad to have come to a conclusion. I am not one to run from admitting our mistakes, but there was really nothing wrong here. As always, if you feel that you are not getting the level of support that you deserve, you can shoot me an email to [email protected] and I will make sure it is taken care of.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2014

I've had issues with the ipv6 on security.debian.org, put this in "/etc/hosts" to use a DE mirror.

212.211.132.250 security.debian.org

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • @c1bl said:
    SpeedTest.net doesn't mean anything for VPSes or Dedicated server. It's just for fun.

Not true. If one gets a 100mbps speedtest result on a 100mbps VPS, that means the VPS gets 100mbps. If this drops at certain times of the day, then obviously something is wrong with either the speedtest server (try a different one), or the VPS.

• @4n0nx Yes, but the tests where done in sequence on different servers on different ISP's. And the speeds are consistent, when on the first server the speed was low the the other servers the speed was low!

• slave2anubis said: @4n0nx Yes, but the tests where done in sequence on different servers on different ISP's. And the speeds are consistent, when on the first server the speed was low the the other servers the speed was low!

The farther you are, the more factors comes in that is beyond the control of your provider.

• iammiamm Member
    edited December 2014

If you want good connectivity to romania, just get one from romania http://lowendbox.com/tag/romania/

International peering of most romanian ISP is just bad, and they just dont want to spend on transit. If you insist on being out of romania, get a vps in voxility's international datacenters. It would be better than any other setup. (or consider moldavia)

Thanked by 1slave2anubis
  • bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

people often misinterpret the hype with the actual capabilities of the service provided, the providers state that they offer 1Gbit/100Mbit connection still that connection is shared and not fully dedicated, also that is what usually the ethernet card on the machine can handle (or is capped at) and not the internet speed of the machine, normally the 1Gbit speed can be achieved only until the cable enters the first switch in the network if nobody else is using the network at that moment in time (e.g. 1Gbit/s = 125MB/s). when you pick a provider it's better to check the peering because that's where the key is if you want to get good connectivity to Romania for example.

Thanked by 1slave2anubis
  • @iamm do you know any providers who sell voxility vps?

• iammiamm Member
    edited December 2014

It is easy to find Voxility vps in romaia. http://lowendbox.com/tag/romania/ most of those are from Voxility. You can google VPS romania and you will get many.

Outside, it is a bit difficult. https://www.hosteasy.eu/virtual-server.html is not bad. They buy some of their transit from Voxility, and use a mix of regional providers. http://bgp.he.net/AS43289#_asinfo

You can also go with any provider that peers at RONIX or BalcanIX (which means you dont have to use western europe exchanges or links to reach romanian). Make a post in webhostingtalk asking for offers with good connectivity to romania, you will get much better answers.

Thanked by 1slave2anubis
  • @iamm Thank you, at least one good comment here...

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited December 2014

To end it up from my side:
    @linuxthefish @Nyr Yes, I also already had the idea that it could be because of IPv6.. Right now I'm using the VPS as remote desktop (LXDE) on Ubuntu 14.04 which doesn't has the ipv6 sources and updating and -grading is a lot faster. But why does Debian has ipv6 sources and Ubuntu (at least 14.04) doesn't?
    And, Nyr, why should I contact my ISP? I live in Germany, not Romania (und du / Sie in Österreich, wa ;p ).

@slave2anubis Just for your info: the VPS in Romania I used in my video for the test was from phase-7.net (they offer/ed here). Baddest results in the hole test, even to / from Dallas, TX the ul / dl rate was better than NL > RO and the other way round.

Thanked by 1slave2anubis