Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Idea How To Run Singapore Based Game Server to Accomodate EU and US Player?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Idea How To Run Singapore Based Game Server to Accomodate EU and US Player?

nadznadz Member

I wanna build game server with majority players are from southeast asia. My main plan is the game server itself hosted in singapore. I wanna accomodate few players from europe and america region also to have them get good connection and lower ping.

Any idea how can i make this works?

Any idea would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @nadz said:
    I wanna build game server with majority players are from southeast asia. My main plan is the game server itself hosted in singapore. I wanna accomodate few players from europe and america region also to have them get good connection and lower ping.

Any idea how can i make this works?

Any idea would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Check with your datacenter in Singapore. What datacenters in the EU or North America do they have direct peering with, so that you can have the best latency for your own services on those links.

Thanked by 1nadz
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

said: Any idea how can i make this works?

You can't, they are going to lag as hell.

You could make some complex optimizations via VPN in optimal links to strategic points near the end user, but you can't fight physical distance.

Thanked by 2nadz Lee
  • godtorgodtor Member, Host Rep

If you have EU players you should host a server in EU (provider with good EU peering)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Drill a hole through the center of the earth to get a shorter distance.

Sigh, unfortunately you cant fight the distance, the states are half a world away.

• This is completely possible. You just need to figure out a way to transfer data faster than light first.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2015

As we know, you can't Transfer Data faster then light.

• apart from most of the advise above where distance is really the limitation one thing to help reducing ping is to deploy connection point that is closer to their physical location.
    let's say your server is in Japan(i find it better then SIN for US based player) and you want to accomondate players from US, find a provider in US west that has good direct peering with the server, setup tunnel(either from client or server).

Most residential connection have sub optimal peering, especially as soon as it leaves their country. That's why ping booster business exist.

If you expect those player to get under 100ms then you can pretty much scrap your idea.

• As what others said, there's an inevitable delay (best I've gotten from SG to US/LA so far is 190ms) due to the time that signals take to physically travel down the network cables across the world.

You have to either kick the players out of the game (joking) or find a server that's inbetween the 3 groups of players. Since most of your players are in SG, your best bet would be a SG server, together with a JP or US server to switch to when the US/EU players come online.

• nadznadz Member
    edited January 2015

Thank you all for nice comment and suggestions. Most of my players are south east asian, only few players are form US and EU. I'm running old game called 'Risk Your Life' (RYL) with ping under 150ms still playable. Ping from US and EU usually touched 200-350ms.

One of reason i want to accomodate 5-10 players from US and EU players because they willing to donate higher than regular player from south east asia.

So, reduce ping sounds 'impossible' although it still doable with required highly technical knowledge. Maybe i have to give up on this... :(

• https://www.quadranet.com/company/los-angeles/

What pings do you get to the Asia-optimized IP? @nadz

• I used http://www.speedtest.com.sg/speedtest.php just now and it says ping to non optimized IP is 170ms, ping to optimized IP is 173ms.....

• @4n0nx said:
    https://www.quadranet.com/company/los-angeles/

What pings do you get to the Asia-optimized IP? nadz

220ms++ from jakarta. 40-60ms gap from Jakarta-Singapore quite normal since i'm using crap 3G mobile connection :P

• Both SG-US and SG-EU lowest latency about 170ms at the edge (Marseille, Los Angeles). Mid continent (Germany, Dallas) expect about 200ms. You can get <150ms to USA if you setup a server in Japan but you'll screw your Europe latency to likely about 250ms+.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

It takes 53ms for light to travel from Singapore to Dallas,US as the crow flies, this doesn't take into account that the fiber is not straight or the points that it has to hop through.

• @nadz
    I used to play this game. Really good game.
    Mind share the link to your site?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

pbgben said: It takes 53ms for light to travel from Singapore to Dallas,US as the crow flies, this doesn't take into account that the fiber is not straight or the points that it has to hop through.

The speed of light in the fiber optic cable is 2/3 from what it is in vacuum: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber#Index_of_refraction
    that gives you 80ms; and that's one direction only, i.e. for the measure of "ping" you multiply this by two. And the result is 160ms, pretty close to estimates posted by @Kenshin above.

• Fritz said: @nadz I used to play this game. Really good game. Mind share the link to your site?

Still on alpha test. You can see our progress here