Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google vs Zoho
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google vs Zoho

As a long time Google Apps user myself, I'm contemplating switching my Google Apps for business account to Zoho. Google knows plenty about me (because of my ancient Gmail account) and because of recent developments, I'd like to put less of my eggs in the Google basket. Zoho is a proper competitor that offers a great office suite and e-mail (with plenty of features), on top of a load of other software.

I'd be interested to hear people's experience with Zoho; ideally I'd like to hear from those that have made the switch from Google to Zoho. Other than that, any other views or comments on Zoho would be welcome as well. I really don't have much experience with it.

What are the differences, the pros and cons, the DOs and DON'Ts?

Comments

• dammuglydammugly Member
    edited December 2014

Google knows plenty about me

if you ever had a reason to switch , this one is it . i dont think google does anything sneaky , but i just hate them having so much info about me and my sites. i am using zoho on about 50+ sites
    never a single issue yet ( touch wood )

• bf1bf1 Member
    edited December 2014

zoho mail is free (for 1 domain) while google is asking for money... i used both but just for e-mail where i saw no difference, also zoho has a very nice and light android app... haven't had an issue with them but i switched to zoho when google kicked me out because i didn't want to pay

• Both are good, go with the one you like.

If we're talking about email only, zoho just has one thing worse than Gmail, the auto-forwarding time is delayed around 5 - 10 minutes.

• I use Zoho for VirtuaClub and I love it.

Been using it since May once there was an issue with the imap server not resolving correctly on my phone when they updated some dns settings somewhere for like 45 minutes. Worked perfectly fine elsewhere though.

• Zoho mail - used more than 2 years.
    ++

• i use zoho when i couldnt get more gapps accounts and havent really noticed much difference. No complaints so far.

• Zoho is good and rather cheap than Google. You will have get used to the interface.

• Is there a way I can backup my email to something of my own? So I always have a backup of all my emails.

• Am using Zoho for more than 2 years. (just their email service). Never had any issue.

There was an instance where one of the users' POP access was blocked without any warnings. Their system blocks the access for repeated failed attempts and several simultaneous connections... which acc to me is fair enough.

It wasn't a big issue as the user was able to log into his account and reactivate the POP access instantly.

• @taronyu Use thunderbird with imap and backup it's folder... or even better use it with pop3 and do not left anything online if one day you decide to go back to online mail there is way to upload all your mails back with simple drag and drop...

• Own mail server > anything
    Couldn't live without the flexibility and privacy. Tried outlook and zoho before that, I think.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

4n0nx said: Own mail server > anything Couldn't live without the flexibility and privacy. Tried outlook and zoho before that, I think.

It's a hassle to run and maintain. Don't take me wrong, I run my own too for the flexibility, but I am looking to outsource the task as soon as I can.

• Honestly, I love Zoho. Their interface is shit, but the product is sound. Very fast mail servers, very low bounce rate, very low SPAM rate, I've never seen the mail I've sent out from Zoho get bounced either; so I see the deliverability as nearly 100% so far.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nyr said: It's a hassle to run and maintain. Don't take me wrong, I run my own too for the flexibility, but I am looking to outsource the task as soon as I can.

This is true, though mailinabox or iredmail make it easier to setup. But I hear you - mail is a pain.

mxroute is another nice alternative to Googledom.

Thanked by 1Droid

Do any of you guys have had delivery problems with Zoho Mail in the past?

Looking at their forums, looks like when they get an IP blacklisted it isn't removed from rotation, they just request delisting and wait, which seems stupid.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nyr said:
    Do any of you guys have had delivery problems with Zoho Mail in the past?

Looking at their forums, looks like when they get an IP blacklisted it isn't removed from rotation, they just request delisting and wait, which seems stupid.

I hope that doesn't mean that they are not addressing the cause of the blacklisting. In my opinion the standard protocol should be locate the problem, resolve it, remove the IP from rotation until it is clean.

Jar said: In my opinion the standard protocol should be locate the problem, resolve it, remove the IP from rotation until it is clean.

Exactly. I suppose they are addressing the root cause and then requesting a delist, but looking at the forums they kept blacklisted IPs in the rotation for up to a week, which is unreasonable to me :(

• @Nyr said:
    It's a hassle to run and maintain. Don't take me wrong, I run my own too for the flexibility, but I am looking to outsource the task as soon as I can.

Mine was ok until the hard drive of the server died and OVH did not manage to replace it in a timely manner.

Now I use a VPS + uptime monitor and made a script to install postfix more easily on a new server. No backup MX server yet, but I can sleep well at night. :D

• If you want to pay, there are many options.

• i am using zoho, switched from gmail app 6 months ago. So far, it's working fine for me.

edited December 2014

mycloud said: If you want to pay, there are many options.

I would be very happy to pay for a service which fits my needs, but there aren't many decent providers. There are very few in fact.

Could you please name a decent provider with CardDAV support (ActiveSync would work too), good uptime, great deliverability and filtering support?

• Google: I don't want to deal with them.
    • Microsoft: = ugh
    • Zoho: ActiveSync broken, stupid policy for dealing with blacklists, some other minor problems.
    • MXroute: would be a nice option for me when/if email filtering is implemented.
    • FastMail: no CardDAV yet. They had been promising it for like two years, so I don't trust them with an ETA any further.
    • Self hosting: fits my needs, so it's what I actually do. Maintenance is a pain in the ass.

I'm open to suggestions, but keep in mind I have researched tens of providers, hours and hours lost.

• Nyr said: FastMail: no CardDAV yet. They had been promising it for like two years, so I don't trust them with an ETA any further.

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/22/carddav-beta-release/

Looks like it may finally be coming :)

• What about Yandex? 1000 free users each domain.

• Moved 6 domains from Google to Zoho. Will never look back.