Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you use CDN ? would you if it was free ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't you use CDN ? would you if it was free ?

2»

Comments

• DalekOfSkaro said: The 10TB bandwidth expires December 31st, just FYI.

Does the offer expire on Dec 31st, or the 10T blocks expire even you claim today?

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited December 2014

@bookstack said:
    Does the offer expire on Dec 31st, or the 10T blocks expire even you claim today?

I suppose the offer expires by end of this year, but you can use the credits since it lasts.. If not not worthy to even switch traffic and rebuild caches for 10 days..

PS : their panel shows +10000 credits with no expiry date. Hope this helps someone..

• signed up and will try it later.

• Is this cdn like cloudflare? Or I just dont saw custom uploading files?

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited December 2014

@faultyservers said:
    They could be using it for the DDoS protection..

How would cloudfront protect from ddos?

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited December 2014

My opinion is mostly for cloudflare.... People don't use cause free CDN (cheap tariff) is slow and makes your sites slow and give false positives to users that server not working and make sites do not open from some parts of the word... and their plugin is messing with my configuration

my own and my customers experience ...

about the slowness:

1. Google measure and show speed of crawling in webmaster tools (thats the speed they can measure for how fast is webpage) without cloudflare it varies from 0.028 seconds for fully cached in ram varnish page to 200 ms adding cloudflare make these speeds to 0.6 (600 ms) Same result in payed version ... (I got 2 users that using that) and cloud flare got in /out point in Paris and thats from my Paris servers

2. My main customer base is 1500-1700-2000 km* away from DCs nearest cloudflare dc at 800 km
      my customers see first hand that sites load faster directly from my servers than from cloudflare

I managed a project (forum ) hosted in digitalocean ams1 when cloudflare was added there was slowness to webmaster tools as i write and some customers from Spain reported slow loading speeds

Customers also reporting good speed to USA east cost... I know that west coast speed is not so great but it not so bad... GTmetrix default test is from Vancouver it show 340 ms but thats again 2wice fast tha CF...

3 Cloud flare error message is misleading to average customer it shows cannot connect with server it happens that when closes CF dc is failed and show that error for some time (customers start making tickets) but sites is working and open trough others CF DCs (tested by tunneling my traffic through my servers)

same happened LET has CF and DDOS problems some time ago I cannot open LET half a day from EU (i use google dns not that from my isp and try HE one) but the only way was to channel my traffic trough Canada ... I suspect that that happened more often than people think...

1. CloudFlare plugin add mod rpaf - in some point mess badly with my Unixy Nginx + Varnish plugin and thats was the final drop after that i removed it from my servers

PS. Before i finally get my opinions for CDNs I was thinking to try Incapsula plugin but this guys want me to make $1000 deposit for their cpanel plugin which will be deducted from my sales but (i got low in number relatively big customers and it take a lot of time got on profit from that even with 5% sales (under 5 precent of my users use CDN ) (my opinion is that if a hosting do not use OPM (other people money) should be always calculate profit points before launch any type of service to keep business sustainable...)

• To be honest let's face it. The website won't be nearly as popular ;(

• I use maxcdn for my heavy trafficated sites.