Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Fiber launches in Kansas City - $70/m for Gigabit Internet - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Fiber launches in Kansas City - $70/m for Gigabit Internet

2»

Comments

• JTRJTR Member
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the link, now I can try a sustained test on my dedi.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited July 2012

@subigo said: I can use it.

You obviously haven't used other ISPs, like Mediacom.

Content servers can deliver a lot more than that...

Mediacom, Frontier and Verizon within the past five years.

I've also played with the gigabit line on my dedi.

Content servers can't sustain more than a single gigabit stream, unless they have multi-gigabit ports. And most of them throttle themselves to much less than 1gbps per user.

• subigosubigo Member

@JTR said: Content servers can't sustain more than a single gigabit stream, unless they have multi-gigabit ports. And most of them throttle themselves to much less than 1gbps per user.

If you're serving up content, like videos, you have multiple ports and multiple servers to deliver that content. If you're just hosting a normal site, like LET, it doesn't matter.

And you should look into what Mediacom does with your personal information and DNS queries.

• JTRJTR Member
    edited July 2012

@subigo said: If you're serving up content, like videos, you have multiple ports and multiple servers to deliver that content. If you're just hosting a normal site, like LET, it doesn't matter.

And you should look into what Mediacom does with your personal information and DNS queries.

I use Google DNS (oh the irony...). Mediacom only captures info and does annoying search redirects for customers using their own DNS.

http://mediacomcable.com/legal_privacy.html

Subject to applicable law, we may use any such personally identifiable information that you provide for one or more of the following purposes:

To render a service to you.
    To operate and safeguard our network and systems.
    For billing and ordering purposes.
    To contact you about services, products or other matters we think may be of interest to you.
    For legal, accounting and other purposes related to our business.
    For any other purpose that we clearly identify at the time we request the information.

What Disclosures Of Personally Identifiable Information Are Made To Third Parties?

We may share personally identifiable information, if any, about you with other companies, individuals, nonprofit organizations, law enforcement or government agencies as follows:

When we have your consent.
    When it is necessary or convenient to provide a product, service or information you have ordered or requested. This includes providing it to companies who work on behalf of Mediacom to provide a product or service to you.
    If we believe that your actions on our Website violate or may violate Mediacom’s Website Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Acceptable Use Policy or any agreement or policies regarding a specific service or product you order.
    To respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal process or when we believe disclosure is otherwise required or authorized by law or is necessary to prevent imminent danger of death or physical harm to you or others.
    To investigate and/or respond to illegal activity, fraud, abuse or unauthorized reception.
    Under any other circumstances that we describe to you before or at the time we obtain the information.

• Google as an ISP is a great idea. Content monopolies like Bell, Rogers, Comcast, etc. as an ISP are a horrible idea. At least Google are honest about their privacy policy. Other companies do the exact same things but poorly, and won't cop to it publicly. With their ad networks, search monopoly, and analytics programs they very likely already know what you're doing online anyway. The only thing Google has done recently that I hate is their push to become some kind of identity service with Google+, advocating putting your real name on everything you do online. The day anonymity on the internet is gone is the day I encrypt everything and move to darknets.

• Rather cheap, 128MB/s for $70/month with free setup? Count me in if I lived there.

• With a free Nexus 7!

• You can get (almost) this speeds already in some countries at these prices, of course the ISPs offering that are overselling (some more, some less) - time will show how google handles this.

I.e.:
    Moldova - 300/300Mbit (Guaranteed 100 in both directions) - 20$
    Romania - 1000/100 (reality: 1000/1000 since the shaping doesn't work) - 45$
    Hong Kong - 500/500 - 36$ (Three, not even oversold much)
    Hong Kong - 1000/1000 - 48$ (CTI)

• DerekDerek Member

http://support.google.com/fiber/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2659981&topic=2440874&ctx=topic

:/

Your Google Fiber account is for your use and the reasonable use of your guests. Unless you have a written agreement with Google Fiber permitting you do so, you should not host any type of server using your Google Fiber connection, use your Google Fiber account to provide a large number of people with Internet access, or use your Google Fiber account to provide commercial services to third parties (including, but not limited to, selling Internet access to third parties).

Respect copyright. Upload and download only content that you are authorized to use or access.

• gianggiang Veteran

@William said: Hong Kong - 500/500 - 36$ (Three, not even oversold much)

Hong Kong - 1000/1000 - 48$ (CTI)

The price is great. Why they said bandwidth is costly in HK? :\

• @Infinity said: While they get their Gigabit internet, my fight for 100Mbit internet finally paid off today, guess what.. ta da.. But it's only 100/10. ;(

Did they dig the soil to put a fiber optic?

We have sooo many hole in the ground almost every month. And 1 mbps with cable line is arround $60/month.

Another ISP offer "dedicated" 256kbps for $300/month.
    Another one with 3mbps for $1000/month.

LOL...
    Indonesia is too expensive

• JTRJTR Member

Oh yeah, nobody is seeing Google fiber until late 2013. Not sounding too good :(

• @giang said: The price is great. Why they said bandwidth is costly in HK? :\

Because that is shared, and when you use it fully for a month you HAD a internet connection because they simply drop you :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Alright time for google to expand to Pennsylvania now ;)

• I loled at the free internet.

Anyways, I wish it would come to San Diego.

• namename Member
    edited July 2012

@giang said: Why they said bandwidth is costly in HK?

I think it's similar to the Romania, The 1000/1000 only inside HK, outgoing bandwidth is usually 2Mbps, lol