Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I got a kimsufi dedi but need help please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I got a kimsufi dedi but need help please

n1kkon1kko Member
edited December 2014 in Help

I managed to get a kimsufi and would like to run a few Vpses for myself but have no idea what I'm doing. Could anyone help out?

Comments

• If you want something that's free and good, I'd recommend using Proxmox. Tek Syndicate do a good job explaining it here:

Thanked by 1shivoham
  • Thanks

• Kinda tough starting from scratch but ya gotta start somewhere. Need to know lotsa stuff related to what you want to do like management platform, virtualization platform, linux/windows commands if you don't already know, and since you use Kimsufi with 1 IPv4, you'll either need to use IPv6 or nat for virtual machines.

All is not lost, everything (I hope) can be found on google :)
    Hard for all the kind fellows here to teach from beginning. You'll need some background knowledge before they can guide you along.....

• Will give it a go thanks for the help

• LeeLee Veteran

Which Kimsufi, it may seem obvious but not all have VT and therefore can't be used for this purpose.

edit Been a while since I looked, only the last 2 with the N2800

• I'd recommend you just have a good play around with it. Read up on some of the OS specific stuff and just see what you can do.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2014

I would actually recommend you go down the route of manually setting up OpenVZ with NAT, it will teach you a lot more than just installing a panel that is not really showing you what is going on in the background.

It's much easier than you think, once you get the hang of that progress onwards to try Xen or KVM or a panel.

The documentation they have is excellent.

Installation:

http://openvz.org/Quick_installation

Setting up NAT:

https://openvz.org/Nat

Create as many VM's as you like after that.

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • It's the N2800 that I have

• im_jmzim_jmz Member
    edited December 2014

@n1kko said:
    It's the N2800 that I have

I don't thing the N2800 supports VTx which you need for virtualization.

edit: I guess you don't need VTx for all types of virtualization, my bad.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@im_jmz said:
    edit: I guess you don't need VTx for all types of virtualization, my bad.

OpenVZ is not virtualization.

• @Nyr said:
    OpenVZ is not virtualization.

It is container-based virtualization.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@im_jmz said:
    It is container-based virtualization.

Containerization, it's very different. Not real virtualization.

• Will send u a list of websites follow them and get your dedi running containers.

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • LeeLee Veteran

@n1kko said:
    It's the N2800 that I have.

That limits you to OVZ then, but it will still handle it pretty well from experience. Honestly, follow the OVZ docs I listed, learn how to use it on the command line and you will find it really easy to manage without a panel once you get used to it.

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • Proxmox with nat will work great, i have one for running the same thing.

https://vpsaddicted.com/install-and-configure-proxmox-ve-for-nat-ipv4-vps-on-debian-wheezy/

You can install the proxmox template in kimsufi, and what i do is make /boot as 300mb and / as remaining space using kimsufi installer.

If you can't get it to work pm me and i can install for you.

Thanked by 1n1kko
  • Thanks so much for the great help and advice. I'm going to give it a good go tonight after work and see how I get on.

@linuxthefish will probably be in touch soon Lol

• @W1V_Lee said:
    That limits you to OVZ then

Xen PV and lxc should work as well

• @nikko let me know how it works out if you get this set up please :) I'm interested in how well it will perform as I have one of these as well.

• LeeLee Veteran

@camarg said:
    Xen PV and lxc should work as well

True, I was more thinking of spec, it's either 2GB or 4GB of ram on those boxes so OVZ may be less of a drain overall.