Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canadian VPS for OpenVPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Canadian VPS for OpenVPN?

I've been using a Provisionhost VPS hosting openvpn, however, they are moving out of Canada and into the states... A sad day :( They've been a great provider....

Anyways, I'm in the market for a new Canadian VPS, do you know of any other good companies in the $15-20 per year range.

Don't need much more than 64MB, 5 GB HD, and 250-500Gig transfer/month -- 10Mbps is even fine... (typical usage is around 100GB/month)...

Any suggestions?

Comments

• MCH would be a fine choice, very good uptime and support response time.

GoodHosting: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/38563/256mb-10-5-yr-1gb-40-yr-2gb-7-mo-kvm-ssd-raid10-windows-nix-three-locations
    Manual provisioning, support is a little on the slow side, but once set up the vps works all right. Unmetered bandwidth is nice.

Thanked by 2kendid MCHPhil
  • kendidkendid Veteran
    edited December 2014

Thanks guys, two positive comments on them... works for me... I just tried to get one, but unfortunately got blocked by their maxmind(or whatever they are using) -- submitted a ticket to sales and will wait to see what happens... Thanks!
    @MCHPhil

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

MCH or GoodHosting.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • rawrwriterrawrwriter Member
    edited December 2014

http://kihihosting.com maybe. $2 monthly which is more than the others but 120G disk space and 512M ram might make up for it. They seem fairly liberal in what you can do and even have a custom panel / app to manage and monitor the services.

Thanked by 1kendid
  • Thanks @rawrwriter, never even heard of this guy... Nice offer too! A little more than what I need for openvpn, but it's another option!

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited December 2014

somewhat out of your budget but I heard https://www.lfchosting.com/ is top notch. I almost went for it until I found provision is running on peer1. Something to consider if you do not want OVH.

I didn't get a notification they are moving, can you point me the direction?

Thanked by 1kendid
  • Check out Atlantic.net's $0.99/mo plan in Toronto

Thanked by 1kendid
  • These guys were great, unfortunately I'm going to have to drop them because of the location change, need a Canada Geoip... Wishing them the best in the future! Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone...

Provision Host

As you know, we are constantly striving to improve the quality and performance of our services. This has led to the decision to migrate all clients from our Toronto location to another facility. This is for both hardware and network upgrades. The new facility has a more robust network and all services will be utilizing the latest 3rd generation Intel E5 processors, DDR4 RAM as well as the latest Samsung SSDs. Our entire network will be DDoS protected as well.

Unfortunately, this new datacenter will stray away from our Toronto location and will be located in New York.

• Already got a reply to my ticket with MCH and should have my VPS soon... Thanks guys, I knew there would be some low lowendboxes in Canada!

• I also recommend MCH. They're rock solid.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • We have just launched into a Canada Location and it will be available to buy for everyone in the next 24 or so hours. http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/39177/superior-networks-festive-offerings-new-canadian-location#latest

• +1 for MCH Been using them for just over a month with absolutely no problems.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited December 2014

Another +1 for My Custom Hosting. @MCHPhil runs a great service and for a simple OpenVPN installation you could easily get an affordable machine from him.

(Edit: My uptime with MCH is 154 days; basically the time since I purchased it.)

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • +1 for both MyCustomHosting and GoodHosting.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2014

how about ovh runabove? (maybe it cost a little more but better and backed by a huge company)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    how about ovh runabove? (maybe it cost a little more but better and backed by a huge company)

If you're talking about number of people or server in company, OVH win.

But if you're talking about VPSes performance, MyCustomHosting and GoodHosting are much better than Runabove, even better than their "Steadfast Resources" plans.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • c1bl said: But if you're talking about VPSes performance, MyCustomHosting and GoodHosting are much better than Runabove, even better than their "Steadfast Resources" plans.

Single and multi core performance on runabove is amazing, infact its way better than the standard "VPS Cloud" offering.

• Hmmm, MCH VPS still not provisioned... Must be manual... No hurry though, still using my provisionhost until they move over... Thanks guys for all your suggestions!

• @c1bl said:
    But if you're talking about VPSes performance, MyCustomHosting and GoodHosting are much better than Runabove, even better than their "Steadfast Resources" plans.

errr op is trying to get a VPN server up which the only real thing to worry is bandwidth and routing, and goodhosting + MCH are both running on.... OVH :) So in theory there should be very little difference between all 3 host unless you need some setting change in the VM host which is very unlikely.

Not saying MCH or GH is any bad as they have been proven in this community, in fact I am planning to pick one up myself since PH is going down, but saying it is much better seems a little bit blown out of proportion?

• @belinik I'm using all 3 providers, so I know how their VPSes perform.

Not only me, people are using Runabove will agree that their VPSes much slower than expected.

• @kendid said:
    Hmmm, MCH VPS still not provisioned... Must be manual... No hurry though, still using my provisionhost until they move over... Thanks guys for all your suggestions!

All VM's are provisioned on payment automatically, open a ticket if you have an issue.

• Thanks @MCHPhil, I'll open a ticket...

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • That didn't take long... Setting up my new VPS! Thanks again, everyone!

• said: I've been using a Provisionhost VPS hosting openvpn, however, they are moving out of Canada and into the states... A sad day :( They've been a great provider....

Yes, sad. Cancellation time.