Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SMS ALERTING (Pay As You Go/Block Purchasing)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SMS ALERTING (Pay As You Go/Block Purchasing)

Hello everyone :)

I'd like your opinion on whether you'd like SMS alerting for monitoring to be PAYG (per alert) or purchasing a block of SMS credits?

Thanks,
Alexander.

SMS alerting - PAYG or block of credits
  1. Choose an option!34 votes
    1. PAYG SMS
      20.59%
    2. Block of SMS
      73.53%
    3. Other (please comment)
        5.88%

Comments

• How do you think "PAYG" could work? We give you a credit card and you charge it with 10 or whatever cents with each SMS sent? I don't think this would be practical or possible.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Honestly I would rather just have an app.

Thanked by 2Spencer 0xdragon
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I imagine it would be similar to PAYG with preloaded funds?

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @rds100 said:
    How do you think "PAYG" could work? We give you a credit card and you charge it with 10 or whatever cents with each SMS sent? I don't think this would be practical or possible.

Charged at the end of the month.

• 0xdragon said: Charged at the end of the month.

Sounds like a bad idea unless you have a very good way to collect the debts. Better do it all prepaid.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @rds100 said:

Alright, thanks :)

• Yeah, prepaid seems like the best option to me.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • purchasing a block of SMS credits

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Pay as you go is a real money waster for the customer.

One of the monitor system that we have running picked up on a network issue one of our customers had.
    The customer woke up with more 3000 text messages.
    Imagine the cost if this would have been setup as pay as you go.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Do people even use SMS alerts in this day and age?

For years now I have had a very particular (and long) email address set up to trigger an alarm (much to my neighbours distress, its freaking loud). Fed into this is the monitoring system's highest assurity "server offline" check. Of course it only goes off in the home and office, other situations call for other more suitable alert methods.

Never had the situation where I have considered SMS to be a necessity as a result. But then again, mobile coverage is pretty damn consistent in my life currently (it hasn't always been).

Offtopic I have even considered adding a "Wake up Mathew" button to the staff panel lol. I actually made a RESTfull API for a joke with a friend at one point. :P

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

SplitIce said: Offtopic I have even considered adding a "Wake up Mathew" button to the staff panel lol.

But all of the Matthews around the world really, really enjoy their sleep. Trust me, I don't get enough of what we call 'sleep'.

Thanked by 2SplitIce 0xdragon
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

I hope it will have reasonable charge for each SMS, like Twilio offers for about $0.01 to $0.04 depending on location of sending number and receiver.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Why do they need to cost money? SMS cost like nothing, right..? I'd probably prefer to pay $10 one time and then not be bothered by $0.02 payments every month.

SplitIce said: Do people even use SMS alerts in this day and age?

I would prefer email alerts,too.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @perennate said:
    I hope it will have reasonable charge for each SMS, like Twilio offers for about $0.01 to $0.04 depending on location of sending number and receiver.

Not looking to make a profit from SMS alerts, haha!

• Pay per block would be better, although I would use email notification or push notifications instead(I have two phones with data plan from two different providers for redundancy and availability)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • I'd prefer free Boxcar.io and/or PushOver notifications.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @pechspilz said:
    I'd prefer free Boxcar.io and/or PushOver notifications.

PushBullet is a lot better than those two on Android, the Chrome extension and push to desktop notifications rocks!

Plus it's free ;)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited December 2014

PushBullet all the way. Easy enough to implement. No ongoing cost to the provider or customer. I get messages on my desktop, laptop, phone and tablet.

I think it's a legacy thing that people still include SMS and it really makes no sense anymore.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • StevieStevie Member
    edited December 2014

@mikeyur

But if someone has to go on a trip (Ahem goodhosting) or something comes up and no internet access most people still have there phone.

@0xdragon

As a fellow cheap ass Low End Talker, you do know there are email to sms and sms to email that mobile operators allow right? and its free (except if the user has to pay for sms to there phone) I seen a few library's for multiple scripting language that makes this job easier and cheaper and basically free for the provider. basically a user enter's there mobile providers name and then there number then the script sends [email protected] and they receive the text, some mobile operators allow 2 way so your customers will text back and it will go into a email address and a script goes into stmp and you code what you want it to do with that information,

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Find your carrier here: http://www.emailtextmessages.com/

I use mandrill + my bash email script to send sms alerts.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Stevie said: But if someone has to go on a trip (Ahem goodhosting) or something comes up and no internet access most people still have there phone

Right.. but what good is a text message going to do when you don't have internet access to fix the problem? If you do have internet access (mobile data) - then you'll get a pushbullet notification just fine.