Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenStatus Server Monitoring System Release - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenStatus Server Monitoring System Release

Comments

• NickMNickM Member
    edited October 2011

Version 0.2.2 was just released. All users are recommended to upgrade both client and server to this version with apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Version 0.2.2 fixes the freezing bug present in version 0.1.0 and later and a bug with memory usage display as reported by iKocka.

• Someone please help?!

http://status.ixape.com/index.php

Why isn't it working? :(

http://status.ixape.com/client.txt
    http://status.ixape.com/server.txt

Copies of my configuration files.

• Have u tried running server and client on a different machine? Or maybe using the public IP address

• Try setting your server to listen on 0.0.0.0

• Still not working :(

• Do you have the hostname set properly? Running /bin/hostname outputs "Arkells" ?

• I've updated the script so there is no capital A. Please can you confirm what I should set the IP address to in the client script and what it should be set to in the server script?

• Use "0.0.0.0" for the server, and, if the client is on the same machine (which it seems like it is for your setup), use "127.0.0.1" for the client. If that doesn't work, try using your external IP in the client.

• I upgraded the client, but it won't start now. Here is the output:

# openstatus-client -d
    setprotitle not foundOpenStatus client started in debug mode with PID 21513 using config file /etc/openstatus/openstatus-client.conf
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/openstatus-client", line 261, in 
        main()
      File "/usr/bin/openstatus-client", line 233, in main
        configprocs = config['processes']
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/configobj.py", line 567, in __getitem__
        val = dict.__getitem__(self, key)
    KeyError: 'processes'
  • You deleted the [processes] section from your config file... I suppose I should add some error checking for that.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited October 2011
    A webserver with PHP (nginx + php5-fpm from the DotDeb repo recommended)
    PHP’s sqlite3 module (php5-sqlite)

Have a look at the Flask python framework. I see no sense in installing that php for some lines of code and flask will do much better for your needs.

openstatus-server

10 levels of code indentation made my eyes and 14" monitor cry.

• NickM said: You deleted the [processes] section from your config file... I suppose I should add some error checking for that.

You're right! I'm not monitoring any services there, and it looks like I accidentally removed [processes] section too. Thanks!

If works now, but on startup I get this message: setprotitle not found. It's not really important since it looks like everything is working, I was just wondering what that means.

• breton said: Have a look at the Flask python framework. I see no sense in installing that php for some lines of code and flask will do much better for your needs.

I will certainly look into that. I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this would typically be running on a system that is also running a web server of some kind along with PHP. If I can re-implement the web interface in Flask or just plain python, I'll do that at some point.

vedran said: If works now, but on startup I get this message: setprotitle not found. It's not really important since it looks like everything is working, I was just wondering what that means.

setproctitle is a python module that sets the name of the process to "openstatus-server" in top/htop, allowing you to do, for example, kill openstatus-server. Without it, it displays as "/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/openstatus-server", and can get lost among other python scripts that are running. The startup message is just alerting you that secproctitle isn't available. I take it you're running openstatus-server on Debian Lenny or some other platform, because the Squeeze package depends on pythong-setproctitle, so it should be installed.

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

A variation of this I saw:

http://status.d3vm.net/

I like this because it pulls in config info (i.e., who the provider is). Should be pretty easy to stitch together a MySQL table that has the configuration info that can't be dynamically determined along with current status.

• raindog308 said: I like this because it pulls in config info (i.e., who the provider is). Should be pretty easy to stitch together a MySQL table that has the configuration info that can't be dynamically determined along with current status.

Or just flat file. Not every server people want to monitor runs MySQL on it. Most, but not all :).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yes, Kairus, that is true. But the DB with the config of what VPS hosting company, plan details, etc. could be kept on the server hosting the consolidated report.

Actually, I suppose you could do it either way. You could modify the daemon to read a file and include that info in its status, or have the reporting server query a database and include the output in its report. The only advantage of the latter approach is if you wanted to do other things with the data in the database.

• cedriccedric Member
    edited October 2011

@raindog308: SQLite is so much better for things like this.

• bretonbreton Member
    edited October 2011

Kairus said: Not every server people want to monitor runs MySQL on it.

Yep, sqlite is the best choice here.

• raindog308 said: A variation of this I saw:

http://status.d3vm.net/

That's actually the original scrd + nikki's status page, which OpenStatus is based on. I removed the node and provider information from OpenStatus because I knew that I probably wouldn't be using it. However, I may add it back in (with an option to turn it off for those who don't want to use it), since it seems pretty popular.

And @Kairus, @cedric and @breton are right - MySQL is overkill or this, which is why I'm using sqlite. In fact, I think I left the "node" and "provider" columns in the database schema, so it would just be a matter of adding a way to enter those on admin.php and re-enable the display of them.

• hello,
    Installed and edited conf file and first work fine but it doesn't update...
    It say last updated 11:40:35
    Am i doing something wrong?

• @corpus, most likely, unfortunately. Check /var/log/openstatus-client.log and /var/log/openstatus-server.log for any relevant info.

• it was the firewall
    Port 12999 was not open
    Now works ok.
    Can someone tell me what other services he monitors? trying to dot working pure-ftp nad postfix with no succes. Can someone provide his conf file?

• I'm not monitoring any services, but as far as I can tell you just have to add the service name to the client conf file and add the service in server admin.

@NickM, server still occasionally freezes, and I can't find anything in the logs. Also, you should add timestamps to the logs, it's hard to tell when something happened this way.

• my conf
    [[OpenSSH]]
    proc = sshd
    level = critical # What level should warnings be if this process is down? (warning, critical)
    [[NginX]]
    proc = nginx
    level = critical
    [[Apache]]
    proc = apache2
    level = critical
    [[MySQL]]
    proc = mysqld
    level = critical
    [[Pure-FTPD]]
    proc = pure-ftpd
    level = critical
    [[Php-cgI]]
    proc = php-cgi
    level = critical
    [[AmaviS]]
    proc = amavisd
    level = critical

what should i put for postfix ?

• What do you get for postfix if you run ps ax -o command? That's what the script uses for processes.

• @vedran, good news: I think I've figured out the issue with it freezing. I'll be releasing version 0.3.0 tomorrow, which fixes the issue, as well as implements better logging, and also includes a new feature.

• I've now released version 0.3.0 of OpenStatus! I've also created a new website for OpenStatus. The new website, including release notes, can be found at http://openstatus.nickmoeck.com. Enjoy!

Thanked by 3mrm2005 vedran corpus
  • SwordfishBESwordfishBE Member
    edited November 2011

2011-11-28 16:36:44,899 INFO Started with PID 4613
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/openstatus-client", line 348, in
    main()
    File "/usr/bin/openstatus-client", line 333, in main
    s.sendall(json.dumps(output))
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'dumps'

Python 2.6.4
    Linux istari 2.6.39.2 #3 SMP Mon Sep 26 10:54:45 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Debian 5 (same error on 2 servers)

any idea's ?

EDIT found it, python-json has to be removed and python-simplejson installed

• @SwordfishBE

Maybe the python version? Dunno, I haven't used this yet xD

• I am having an issue after installing the server and the client.
    When I go to the webpage all seems ok.
    When I click on Admin I get the login box and also this error:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in /usr/share/openstatus-server/updates.php on line 6

I can login however and when I do I see this error at the top:
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/share/openstatus-server/header.php:150) in /usr/share/openstatus-server/header.php on line 218

I am using Debian 5, I did the oldstable install of openstatus using apt-get. Nginx, php-fpm (lowendscript setup)

Any ideas?

Thank you.