Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reliable provider thread #2 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reliable provider thread #2

2»

Comments

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited December 2014
    1. Iwstack.com / Prometeus
    2. Vultr (aff link: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732 )
    3. DigitalOcean ( aff link: https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=6baa1cd0214b Get $10 in free credit)
    4. Backupsy
    5. KnownHost (used them for over 2.5 years now)
    6. SolaDrive (used them for over 2.5 years now)
    7. Ramnode
  • Ramnode

IPXCore

TorqHost

VPSDime

MyCustomHosting

The majority of contributors to the speed test project are very stable.

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    1. DigitalOcean (38 droplets permanent, avg one outage per 2 month < 5 minutes)
    2. Vultr (2 vm's + up to 8 for testing at times)
    3. Prometeus iwStack (1 vm x 18 months)
    4. sshVM (small sample size / 2 vms)
    5. BuyVM (rare outages, could do with faster incident resolve times sometimes)
    6. RamNode (2-8 vms over 1 year)

In rough order. Very little difference between 1-3. I must admit I expected better from Ramnode given all the hype. Still better than most Low End Hosts.

• @SplitIce said:
    I must admit I expected better from Ramnode given all the hype. Still better than most Low End Hosts.

Better how, may I ask? How would you compare DO's network to the rest of the mentioned providers?

@george Reliability is my main criteria. Providing performance is reasonable / as expected for the price. I don't like being woken up by server down alarms.

Top 3 (very little ranking difference).

DigitialOcean's MTBF per server (taken as an sum of the entire system) is approximately once per 76 months. Probably a bit less (3 months since the last incident). Running a large ELS cluster here (20x512mb/1xcores @ 75-100% constant CPU usage and often 100% IO usage).

One outage with Vultr so far, but only running VMs for testing there. Nothing permanent. Not enough data to rank, but not ranking it higher than DO who have a very impressive MTBF. I dont have enough data to conclusively conclude DO > Vultr or Vultr > DO

iwStack - Had two large outages. After one (orchestrator issue) of them vm's didnt even get automatically restarted (major mistake for a HA system). Other than that, no small issues that I have noticed. Just one long term VM here, running an application very sensitive to network instability.

Top 4 - 6

sshVM - Yet to see any outages > 20 minutes. But not exactly caring about small outages for what its used for. Dont keep a close enough eye on it to rank it higher.

BuyVM - For the most part perfectly stable. Odd node issue, probably a MTBF of a couple months. Occasional network fluctuations and issues with filtered IPs.

Ramnode - Performance: Yes, great - Had some issues with their load monitoring system (low cpu, still getting suspended occasionally). Also tried to run an ELS cluster there with remote (WAN) links to DO but their network in NL has too many issues (MTBF well less than 1 month).

--

All in all, these are the best of the best I have tried. I have very strict ranking criteria (there is close to 10-20 hosts left off this list).

Thanked by 2george perennate
  • georgegeorge Member
    edited December 2014

@SplitIce said:
    Ramnode - Performance: Yes, great - Had some issues with their load monitoring system (low cpu, still getting suspended occasionally). Also tried to run an ELS cluster there with remote (WAN) links to DO but their network in NL has too many issues (MTBF well less than 1 month).

I can't really speak about reliability of their service since it's been only 40 days (although some people are very satisfied in this regard), but in those 40 days I haven't gotten a single email from bunch of well respected monitoring tools nor did I experience any issues myself.

I can seriously vouch for the quality of their service, which can't be said about majority of providers in their price range.

I'm considering adding some funds to my DO account since I'd really like to try out their service(s) in AMS, but the mixed reviews all over the internet makes me somewhat hesitant.

@george One of the services we run at Ramnode is our monitoring server (cheap ssd storage). So if they have an instability / outage we tend to get spammed with emails (partial outages e.g one link - since we have hundreds of servers monitored and even 1/10th of the servers fluctuating is enough to be annoying).

Thanked by 2george Amitz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

1) RackSRV - been with for almost 5 years now I think, never let me down.

2) QuickWEB - around 3.5 year, had 1 rough patch a few years ago but apart from that they have been solid.

3) OVH (kimsufi) - 4 years, no issues at all.

I don't think I have used any other hosts for over a year, cloudshards are not far off I think, they will make the list then.

1. Prometeus
    2. CatalystHost
    3. Secure Dragon
    4. RamNode
  • Online.net, httpzoom (getting worse), quadranet and rapid switc .

• OnePoundWebHosting.co.uk (I'm surprised noone mentioned them before; they're very reliable and Stuart has provided the best and fastest support I ever got from a hoster)
    • ProPlay.de (very reliable as well, despite the name)
    Thanked by 1onepound
  • In no particular order:

• NanoVZ
    • Ramnode
    • BuyVM
    • Wable
    • VPSDime

Minimal or no issues with all. When needed, support is typically stellar.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM