Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paying Job: IPv6 DHClient/Dibbler-Client for Centos 6 (Online.net)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paying Job: IPv6 DHClient/Dibbler-Client for Centos 6 (Online.net)

AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
edited December 2014 in Help

Hi there, been looking for a how to assign a /56 Subnet to my Online.net server Running Centos, but as far i can only find Debian ones.

So, first of all, has anyone successfully assigned a ipv6 subnet with online.net to Centos?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Regards,
Ryan

-- Edit: Added offer for paying someone to do it, spent way too much time trying to setup this server, so i'm over it :P anyone want to set it up. let me know how much $ you want

Comments

• I've just got IPV6 running manually using bog standard dhclient for the moment, and it's stable unlike dhclient on Debian, though see below. Haven't yet unpicked the CentOS 7 Networkmanager bloat to find out the proper 'Redhat' way of invoking it at boot, but at least it does basically work without all the dibbler crap.

Make sure you don't have a server using a DUID in the /48 as well, split ALL servers down to /56, that tripped me up initially.

[root@server ~]# cat /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf
    interface "enp2s0" {
    send dhcp6.client-id 00:12:34:56:78:12:34:56:78:12;
    request;
    }
    [root@server ~]# dhclient -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf -6 -P enp2s0 -v
    [root@server ~]# ifconfig enp2s0 inet6 add 2001:dead:beef:123::2/48

P.S. dhclient (no dibbler) on Debian with online seems much more stable these days, goes weeks without needing to restart the interface.

• Oops forgot the formatting

[root@server ~]# cat /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf interface "enp2s0" { send dhcp6.client-id 00:12:34:56:78:12:34::56:78:12; request; } [root@server ~]# dhclient -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf -6 -P enp2s0 -v [root@server ~]# ifconfig enp2s0 inet6 add 2001:dead:beef:123::2/48

• thanks @cochon @socials

need one for Centos 6 though, these only apply to centos 7.

• In that case the steps are pretty much the same as for Debian. What are you having problems with?

• all of it at current, i've tried through dhclient, but keep getting failures to load etc. Dibbler i'm not a fan of (since it isn't that reliable) but i will take either of them at the moment.

• To be honest, all you have to do is edit dhclient6.conf (add your DUID there), start the client and add your IPv6 address to the interface. Can't see where it can go that wrong.

So, just copying from my Centos 7 steps, it's..

yum install dhclient

vim /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf
        interface "INTERFACE-HERE"{
            send dhcp6.client-id DUID-HERE;
            request;
        }

dhclient -cf /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf -pf /run/dhclient6.eth0.pid -6 -P INTERFACE-HERE
    ifconfig INTERFACE-HERE inet6 add IPV6-ADDRESS-HERE/48

And that's it.