Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help with private peering.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some help with private peering.

0xdragon0xdragon Member
edited December 2014 in Help

Hey everyone,

So I need some help understanding this. Yes, I'm a newb. You can say it.

I've been provided the following diagram for configuring my network:

We have configured the network to allow you to BGP peer with us via RFC1918 addressing.

The routers at the top of the diagram are routers you can configure yourself.

This way you can use every address in the /28 range if you want to. 
No wasting addresses for broadcast or network addresses.

We have configured the servers the similarly as if it was being used for us
to install VMware ESXi.

Once installed VMware ESXi will see the network cards and storage
controller.

VMware uses a virtual ethernet switch which can do VLAN tagging. The VLAN
623 you need to use for external networking is in the diagram.

Basically, tell me what I'm missing here, and how I can install Debian on this blade server which I have been given, because I need a gateway IP for the installer.

Thanks,
0xdragon.

Comments

• Why would you want to do this? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Why would you want to do this? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Mate, it doesn't make sense to me either. But this is seemingly how the network is being configured.

• What are actually doing?

Is this just a dedicated server and you want to get external access? failover external access?

Who came up with this?

• @MarkTurner said:
    What are actually doing?

Is this just a dedicated server and you want to get external access? failover external access?

Who came up with this?

I have a blade with them, yes it's a dedicated server. Pretty much just want networking on the blade. No clue, but failover doesn't sound right to me.

I have no idea, they're a bunch of Cisco and VMWare guys.

• edited December 2014

Are you using the blade as a KVM node?

• @aggressivenetworks said:
    Are you using the blade as a KVM node?

No.

• @MarkTurner said:
    What are actually doing?

It looks like this is for Anycast / Failover :).

• So, do you have servers behind physical routers running a BGP session with the provider? Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?

• edited December 2014

This diagram is friggin confusing. Its also using a configuration that looks like its a PITA.

But ill give it a shot. I could be terribly wrong though.

From what it looks like, you have a /28 subnet delivered to you using iBGP. You will need to configure iBGP yourself. They deliver the whole subnet that way. They also have BGP failover (whoopee). Im a cisco (CCNA) student, so I don't know anything other than how to configure BGP on a cisco router, so I can't help you there.

Now the tricky part; getting internet. The external network they are mentioning seems to be how you get access to the internet. The tiny little problem is that you will need to do VLAN tagging to get to the mentioned subnet. In Proxmox/ESXi/etc, this is quite easy, just create a switch and set it to the mentioned VLAN. Once you setup the VLAN, I assume they have a DHCP server or something on there that will give you an address.

The last time I checked, the debian installer does not support VLANs. You will need a full Debian DVD/CD to perform the initial install. See https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration#Howto_use_vlan_.28dot1q.2C_802.1q.2C_trunk.29_.28Etch.2C_Lenny.29 afterwords for configuration.

Further Edit:
    They seem to be doing Vmware ESXi's VST (Virtual Switch Tagging) setup.
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003806

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Microlinux said:
    So, do you have servers behind physical routers running a BGP session with the provider? Can you describe exactly what you are trying to do?

I asked for a blade. This is what I got :P

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

What's the point? This makes no sense for a dedicated server...

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • edited December 2014

@shovenose said:
    What's the point? This makes no sense for a dedicated server...

Its optimized for ESXi - if you were running ESXi, this would be an easy configuration to setup by creating a virtual switch. If your not however..... It is a PITA

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @StartledPhoenix said:
    Its optimized for ESXi - if you were running ESXi, this would be an easy configuration to setup by creating a virtual switch. If your not however..... It is a PITA

I'm going to install ESXi. Bite the bullet I guess :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It should also work for proxmox or XenServer, I think they use this setup for convenience, instead of dedicating a port for the vlan in their switch, will use your virtual switch. Since they are probably not using much else than vmware, it would make sense, otherwise it does look terrible.

• From what it looks like, you have a /28 subnet delivered to you using iBGP. You will need to configure iBGP yourself.

This is ebgp, not ibgp -- albeit with private ASNs.

Why one would want to do this at all to begin with is beyond me, the diagram doesn't help either.

• 0xdragon said: I'm going to install ESXi. Bite the bullet I guess :P

Every Linux distro supports vlan tagging natively, just modprobe 8021q and you're ready to go.

Other distros are similar.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Wintereise said:

I don't think they even installed a hard drive in this blade.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

0xdragon said: I don't think they even installed a hard drive in this blade.

Cool, so, SAN?

• @Maounique said:
    Cool, so, SAN?

LUN (SAN) apparently.

• I think their idea is to have two ethernet links for redundancy. Tell them you don't want the redundancy and want a single ethernet link.