Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want to see out of how-to/tutorial sites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you want to see out of how-to/tutorial sites?

NanzillaNanzilla Member
edited December 2014 in General

Hey there LET! Recently I've decided to launch a tech how-to site of my own, as i am unhappy with some thing or another that I've noticed on others. I figured that you guys probably see these kinds of sites often in the course of messing with your LEB's, and i was wanting to know what do you want to see in a tutorial site?

What would you rather see?
  1. What type of tutorials?8 votes
    1. Windows
        0.00%
    2. Linux
      87.50%
    3. Other
        0.00%
    4. A bit of everything
      12.50%
  2. How would you like to see it?8 votes
    1. Video (just me following the text, and narrating) + text
      37.50%
    2. Just text
      12.50%
    3. Just video
        0.00%
    4. Scripts
      50.00%

Comments

• little bit of everything

• Free Beer.. i would love a how-to site to have Free Beer.. each reader should get a Free Beer!.. have i suggested free beer?

Thanked by 2Lm85H4gFkh3wk3 VPNsh
  • ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited December 2014

Nice load balancing tutorial. But not like ones we can find now. Most of tuts we can find cover only or web server or load balancing application settings.

1. 1st step installing server (apache/nginx) (i know it's easy but ...)
    2. Installing load balancing app on both sides (if not 3 sides)
    3. Config all with real IP's (not using 127.0.0.1, can be misunderstood)
    4. Explaining sync tech used (rsync or rsync over ssh etc)

Then next step is mysql let's say mirror/mirror with load balancing.

That is something cool to be done. I know this take some time because i wrote some docks on my own for my work, but they are my own mess.

Thanked by 1Nanzilla
  • I greatly agree with point # 3 as said by @ZEROF. Thats greatly annoying.

• DevoniusDevonius Member
    edited December 2014

can you create a nice tutorial with a full of image/figure about "creating your own DNS server" ?

and maybe about "how to detect if your server/vps got hacked"

• @AutoSnipe said:
    Free Beer.. i would love a how-to site to have Free Beer.. each reader should get a Free Beer!.. have i suggested free beer?

Get someone else to buy you a beer = free.

• @0xdragon - That would work.. go drop by the bottle shop and pick me up a 6 pack would ya.. ship it overnight to me :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • the best how-to is an install script. Helps newbies use it, helps advanced users understand, does not contain any unnecessary information.

• Create basic tutorials that are very easy to follow even by non-techy people :)

• I see @namhuy web if something happen with my LEB, so far help me a lot, but i still need best config for LEMP to handle 6-9k UV and 10-15k PV a day..

@4n0nx yepp it really help, but if something bad happen it'll srew u a lot too..

Thanked by 1namhuy
  • a load balancing how to as mentioned above, but done in full stack(from load balancing software to webserver to backend language, with integration for all)

• Tutorials for techy people for projects that have little to no documentation.

Thanked by 2Nanzilla ValdikSS
  • How to create streaming video site like Vimeo/YouTube.

• Alright thanks for all the ideas. Do you guys have pitfalls/things that you dislike that you notice in many sites? For my i dislike the way most of them are organized - it's hard to find a tutorial that you want if there's 25 with the word Apache + mod_proxy in search, and your just wanting to configure mod_proxy. I'm thinking that a well structured wiki would fix this problem or at least help.