Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BoxCtrl, server management programs, and a waiting list...

13»

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

@MrAndroid said: I've moved off BoxCtrl internally, the source is shit and its filled with security issues. You should use https://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/

Looking for something based mostly on php to fork. Use good ole CLI internally.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MrAndroid said: I've moved off BoxCtrl internally, the source is shit and its filled with security issues.

What!?! But it's by @subigo !

• @raindog308 said: What!?! But it's by @subigo !

Look what happened to him.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like the simplicity of boxctrl, but storing stuff in text files...meh.

• @MrAndroid said: Look what happened to him.

Yalp. When we bought his VPS clients, he assigned us the full rights (as it were....) to Boxctrl.... as you can see, it's such a stellar product that we kept using it. /sarcasm

• I think this hit the record for the largest bump.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@Zen said: So it really was that bad?

It wasn't bad, per se, it just wasn't good, or an improvement over Solus. And it had some issues with not sanitizing inputs. Additionally, it was per-server, which is okay for one or two servers, but once you get to having a pile of servers, the master-slave model really helps with efficient management.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Damian said: the master-slave model really helps with efficient management.

How would you not realize that in the planning process..... I didn't know it was per node.

• Really what happened with him (@subigo ) ????, I was following this topic until he stopped to answer here.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

subigo was ZenSix, no?

I thought @qps bought his stuff. He retired because he had big Google contracts to fulfill.

Though if his coding fu was weak...call me skeptical.

• This is just a few lines of code that executes vzctl commands with shell_exec

$outputShell = shell_exec("sudo vzctl set $ctid --userpasswd root:$newpasswordsecure --save");

I wouldn't call this a control panel.

• @raindog308 said: I thought @qps bought his stuff.

@Damian said: When we bought his VPS clients

==========

@serverian said: This is just a few lines of code that executes vzctl commands with shell_exec

$outputShell = shell_exec("sudo vzctl set $ctid --userpasswd root:$newpasswordsecure --save");

I wouldn't call this a control panel.

Yep. As I recall, $newpasswordsecure isn't sanitized too.

I think it was @joepie91 who once pointed out that anyone can slap together a display of buttons that do vzctl actions. It's the rest of the panel that takes all the time and effort.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Damian said: I thought @qps bought his stuff.

We bought the ZenSix brand and shared hosting customers.